Nokia 5.4 auto restart

Hi Guys, Do you guys suffering from this error that Nokia 5.4 keeps auto-reset while using this phone?

Nokia 5.4 auto restart

Kyros_G Kyros_G
✭✭  / 

Hi Guys,

Do you guys suffering from this error that Nokia 5.4 keeps auto-reset while using this phone?

I'm from Vietnam and a lot of 5.4 users give feedback about this error.

P/s: Nokia please fix this because it will severely affect anyone who planning to buy this phone because on online shops Nokia 5.4's ratings has been going down drastically.

Comments

• 749264846 749264846
    ✭✭  / 

Right after getting the phone I had random soft reboots once or twice every day, but the January 1st system update fixed it for me. Unfortunately it seems that not everyone has the update available yet.

• UserFromEarth UserFromEarth
    ✭✭  / 

Kyros_G, my phone has no random reboots and no updates.

• NokiaFanTH NokiaFanTH
    ✭✭  / 

I ever found my restarts sometime.

• NokiaFanTH NokiaFanTH
    ✭✭  / 

my phone*

• I'm just going to return my phone (and opt for another brand) as I still haven't got an update yet that resolves this. Having to restore my phone from scratch once a day has really put me off Nokia tbh.

• Glynnlondon Glynnlondon
    ✭✭  / 

I have a brand new Nokia 5.4 only a few days old and have exactly the same problem.

Never had this issue with my old 3.1 or any other Nokia phone.

It's happening several times a day for no reason whatsoever.

Anyone any ideas how to fix this issue ?

• Exactly the same problem

Tried talking to a Nokia Rep on the 'My Phone' app

He suggested using 'safe-mode', but of course, then the phone is crippled...

Yo, Nokia! plz fix this, I never had this issue with my old 7+

Cheers

• vext01 vext01
    ✭✭  / 

I've got the same problem -- reboots 3 or 4 times a day.

Today it rebooted in the middle of a call, which was really the last straw, but what can I do?

I spoke to support, and ask me to use safe mode, but then I can't use the phone very well, can I?

Maybe the January update will fix it, but that still hasn't come... Why does it take so long?

I find all of this very disappointing. I'm thinking of returning the phone :(

• Kyros_G Kyros_G
    ✭✭  / 

It seems like this error has not been fixed completely yet

• kevsmith439 kevsmith439
    ✭✭  / 

Mine phone is the same Very disappointed.

• badger810 badger810
    ✭✭✭  / 

With the Oct patch and then with the MR/Jan and Feb patch, no reboots at all. Are you on the Dec patch by any chance?

• Bob23 Bob23
     / 

I've got the December 2020 update and still have random restarts. Roughly 1-2 a day. Only bought this phone a week ago so I may well return it very soon.

• badger810 badger810
    ✭✭✭  /  edited February 21

@Bob23 The reboots should stop once you move past the Dec Patch. Mine was stuck on the Oct patch and I used the VPN method set to Germany to get the MR/Jan patch and then got the Feb one without using the VPN. Hope this helps?

• Kevin Roper Kevin Roper
    ✭✭  / 

Just got this phone and have the same issue, did a reboot during the night stopping my alarm going off.. not a good start to our relationship!

• vext01 vext01
    ✭✭  / 

I can confirm that updating the OS will fix the random reboots, but I did have to use the proxy method to get the update. I was stuck on December and by pretending to be in Germany got both the January and February updates in quick succession.

Nokia support have no idea what's going on. They are out of the loop with their software engineers. Nokia, if you are reading, please, sort it out.

• StEMax StEMax
    ✭✭  / 

Received my 5.4 early January, reboots on average once a day. It also suffers lag when typing on some forums such as FB, the screen stops showing text but the predictive text line still shows what you are typing! I also find the screen lags a bit even when you're not rushing it to load, it simply becomes unresponsive. This is my first Nokia after being stung with the N900.... Not impressed if I'm honest. I was thinking of passing this on to my son and getting the latest 8. But unless the issues are sorted it's more likely to be returned to Nokia.

• sarah01 sarah01
    ✭✭  / 

I recently bought a Nokia 5.4 (last week) and at first I didn't really notice the rebooting, but now it happens at least 10 times a day. I'm in the UK, does any one know if they are going to send a patch to fix this. I'm thinking of returning the phone at this point. 😔

• Kyros_G Kyros_G
    ✭✭  / 

lol I just bought 5.4 2 days ago. It has restarted 3 times in 3 days, each time a day haha. Dont know if I should return it to the vendor or keep waiting for new updates to fix this bug

• Kyros_G Kyros_G
    ✭✭  / 

what updates did you receive?

I only received the February security patch.

• badger810 badger810
    ✭✭✭  /  edited March 12

@sarah01 Unfortunately in the UK, it seems we had to use the VPN trick to get the patches downloaded. My phone was brought in Jan and was stuck on the Oct patch till I got it updated to the MR/Jan update and since then it has received the Feb patch and another MR. There is still an issue with the Google play system update stuck in a loop though.

@Kyros_G The system reboots only seemed to happen with the Dec patch as far as I'm aware, if you are on Feb patch, they should have stopped happening.

• Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 

Nokia support seem to suggest Safe Mode for everything.

• Kyros_G Kyros_G
    ✭✭  / 

please instruct me to get the update via proxy. Thanks in advance

• Kyros_G Kyros_G
    ✭✭  / 

UPDATE:

After 2 weeks of using this phone, as well as having received the February update patch, everything seems really ok at the moment.

So, if you still at December or older update patch, be patient and keep waiting for the February updates which will fix this problem completely.

• David Jones David Jones
    ✭✭  / 

I was going to say to those suffering issues having got the Nokia 5.4 on Sunday ( in the UK). It checked for updates on the setup and had me it then on Feb 2021 ( 0 0W W 1 160 Build No. This seems to cure the reboot issues as it has been solid during all that time.

Also like others still have the Google Play System update loop issue. Doing some digging seems a multi brand issue. Looks like it's a multi SW component affair and possibly some form of incorrect manifest ( version list ) file or the way Google looks for components as someone on Samsung forums found that side loading found multiple component libraries missing.

This means the main component APK advisory does seem to update the overall patch name to a later release , but not all components that seem to require separate update APK. For us Nokia uses though we cannot see the System apex area to validate our file versions that the Google Play System Update updates to manually bring those component APK up to the correct level easily.

As it seems to suffer all brands we can hope it will be fixed by Google sooner rather than later in due course or at least provide OEM or Android 10 users relevant combined (including all apks and apex ) to sideload as one larger all in one rather than relying on users to match up individual apks on version as manual fix.

Maybe it could be simply removing a strict required component list requirement to allow the update to pass through and get rid of this loop. Indications online seem to suggest it could do with Sept version of the Google Play System Update bringing in this issue from Google update process.

• t.goold t.goold
    ✭✭  /  edited March 29

From the UK with Nokia 5.4 after Feb update my phone now becomes unresponsive at random times please fix

• KenTurner KenTurner
    ✭✭  / 

When I started getting the unsolicited rebooting problem I talked to a Nokia support rep and - surprise! - he said I should try safe mode.

My initial reaction was that the error did not occur under safe mode, but I wasn't 100% sure because it took several hours to repeat. Now, after about a week of trying, I've had a reboot in safe mode.

From reading all the comments here it seems likely that updating to the February system files will solve the problem. Can somebody please walk me through how to do that?

• Kyros_G Kyros_G
    ✭✭  / 

I dont know why it is so slow for Nokia to roll the February patch in Europe, Im from Vietnam and I just received the March update last week :/

• badger810 badger810
    ✭✭✭  / 

@KenTurner You would need to probably try the VPN method if it isn't updating. Mine was stuck on Oct Patch when I brought it in the UK. After using the VPN method to get the Jan Patch, the other patches /MR appear then arrived without the need of the VPN.

1) First install a VPN app from Google Play, like Proxy Master or Free VPN Master, then set to Germany.

2) Turn off the location first, then the phone and remove the SIM card(s)

3) Turn on the phone again, turn off the WI-FI, go to the apps & notifications and clear the cache and data of the following listed apps:

A. Google App

B. Google Framework

C. Google Play Services

D. Location Services

4) Restart the phone (Power off and on)

5) Turn on WI-FI and launch the VPN app, choosing as country where the update is available already

6) Go to update and verify. You may have to repeat this last operation several times if  you are not lucky from the first.

Hope this helps

• Tonila Tonila
    ✭✭  / 

I also had this problem. I sent my phone to Nokia service and they installed latest software updates. My phone has not rebooted since.