Nokia 8.3 5G camera samples & discussion

Hi everyone, I noticed that there has not been much coverage of the 8.3 by more well-known tech reviewers, so I thought I'd share some shots I've taken with the phone so far to give people an idea of the camera.

Nokia 8.3 5G camera samples & discussion

Luke Staunton Luke Staunton
✭✭  / 

Hi everyone, I noticed that there has not been much coverage of the 8.3 by more well-known tech reviewers, so I thought I'd share some shots I've taken with the phone so far to give people an idea of the camera. If you have any questions about the camera experience, or any 8.3 users want to share their opinions, then get involved!

Comments

• ALToronto ALToronto
    ✭✭  / 

What's the trick for taking good photos in low light? I'm not having any success indoors.

• Pikku-Y Pikku-Y
    ✭✭  / 

Beautiful pics!

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

You've taken some spectacular shots, @Luke Staunton. Well done :)

I can never imagine myself taking such shots 😁

• Luke Staunton Luke Staunton
    ✭✭  / 

There were quite a lot of light sources in the night shots I shared, otherwise I don't have much luck either. I also edit in Lightroom Mobile to get the best out of the images.

✭✭  / 

Thank you 😊 Lots of waking up early to get the best lighting conditions, or being familiar with the places and subjects. I'm sure you can take some great shots!

✭✭  / 
  • Van Thieu Van Thieu
    ✭✭  / 

Have you tried videos with Cinema H-Log mode yet?

I found that either keeping ISO at 400 or shutter speed at 1/24 reduces noises in the video compared to having them on auto.

✭✭  / 

I have not used the video modes beyond a brief test, I'll get around to trying it out eventually. The ultrawide camera has a relatively large sensor and pixel size on paper, you would hope that would help in low-light too.

• Marco Hops Marco Hops
    ✭✭  / 

Capital photos with very good quality. I have the same smartphone. I have a few question. Could you answer?

1. Which application you used to create these photos? Original in Nokia or other?
    2. Which mode you have chosen? Standard photo mode (jpg), or pro mode and raw format (dng)? Maybe you used 64mpix mode? Which one?
    3. Which mode did you choose for the eighth and ninth photos? Night mode or long shutter speed?

Regards

MH

✭✭  / 

Hello there,

All of the photos were taken in auto or night modes using the Nokia/HMD camera app and then edited in Lightroom Mobile.

I think I had the 'scene detection' and auto-HDR turned off but I cannot remember, unless I can see that information in the EXIF data.

I have started using the 64MP mode with the 8.3 as the device tends to aggressively lift the shadows which causes a lot of noise/grain. It especially struggles with brown/earth colours if you shoot trees or landscapes.

• Marco Hops Marco Hops
    ✭✭  / 

Thank you for your response. Sorry to ask but I'm curious about this topic because I have noisy photos on my Nokia 8.3. Your photos look like you took them with a Nikon or Cannon DSLR. When I shoot in pro mode in raw (dng) format I get great quality and sharpness as long as I expose to shadows. If I expose to lights then unfortunately in shadows there is strong noise similar to high iso. I already turned off HDR mode because it can introduce noise. Can you show EXIF for the following photos? For photos 1, 8, 9 and 10

I still wanted to make sure. I know that you processed the photos in Lightroom , but the question is whether you processed the jpg or dng format? Were the photos you took in pro mode? If you took the photos in pro mode then I'm sure the format allowed you to get such low noise and high quality photo. I am also curious if by any chance the software version made the pictures come out worse. I have the latest version and you had the old one when you took these pictures.

✭✭  / 

I agree, the 8.3 produces very noisy/grainy images because the processing aggressively lifts the shadows. You must underexpose slightly and reduce noise in post processing.

I have started using the 64MP mode, but all the photos posted here were shot in auto mode, 16MP, and edited as JPGs.

Here are the main details:

1. 1.Exposure: 1/1250, ISO: 100, White balance: Auto, HDR: On
    2. 8.Exposure: 1/35, ISO: 1765, White balance: Auto, Night Mode: On
    3. 9. Exposure: 1/35, ISO: 405, White balance: Auto, Night Mode: On
    4. 10. Exposure: 1/35, ISO: 477, White balance: Auto, Night Mode: On

For photo #10 I used the 'matte' preset in Lightroom to give the effect.

• ManLikeCliff ManLikeCliff
    ✭✭✭  / 

These are beautiful 🥺 Luke

• night mode...nokia 8.3