Nokia 2 Android 8.1 Oreo (stable)

Has anyone got the stable version of the android Oreo update?

Nokia 2 Android 8.1 Oreo (stable)

A A A A A A
✭✭  /  edited February 16

Has anyone got the stable version of the android Oreo update? https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-2-upgrade

If so can you please tell me if you have encountered any problems.

Last thing if I update to it will I lose all my downloaded apps after it finishes?

Comments

• user1520881638007 user1520881638007
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited February 17

Lot of Nokia 2 users are aware of this upgrade since June 2018 (as beta build) and stable roll out only through request from Feb 2019. After upgrading , you don't lose any of personal files present in your device but I do recommend to make backup before updating it.

Regarding Issue here they are-

• Google Assistant Go Still can't be installed (Issue Resolved)
    • Google App still doesn't support (Issue resolved)
    • In Camera App,Video shoot takes on Low Light even when flash is enabled
    • Keyboard Pop Up issue still there when using YouTube and other social media apps
    • No New VoLTE icon introduced
    • Android Recovery Mode-Wipe Data/Factory Reset Still Not functioning well
    • Power Saver App is still not optimizing the battery
    • Even Well apps are still available
    • When using installed apps for first time ,apps get crash and stop working but after sometime it will work as normal , it happens due to Go edition components in the Build.

• A A A A A A
    ✭✭  / 

@user1520881638007 I don't know if this is just me but the navbar is white if you use dark theme on YouTube and playstore is this a bug?

✭✭✭✭  / 

Yeah that's bug in the build which hasn't get fixed and it won't be fixed in future as the Software Life cycle for Nokia 2 came to end on December 2019 for Both OS.

• A A A A A A
    ✭✭  / 

@user1520881638007 sad.Also the keyboard is so bad now sometimes it won't even open but the worst part is the back button looks like the keyboards open(upside down triangle) on every screen.

Nougat was not even near bad as this.

• A A A A A A
    ✭✭  / 

What was the point of releasing the Android Oreo beta and claiming that it won't slow down the device at all .

I guess all HMD was doing was making sure when they said ALL Nokia devices are going to be updated they at least did it for every phone but this is just Bad.They didn't even fix some obvious bugs.

✭✭✭✭  /  edited February 18

I'm sure that you're not up-to-date regarding the history of Oreo Builds for Nokia 2.

All I can say in short , they believe some thing for Nokia 2 but the reality came opposite to that, still managed and rolled out stable optional builds and as promised they completed 2 years of security and maintenance releases for both OS on December 2019 where the climax ends with an unfinished fix.

• A A A A A A
    ✭✭  / 

Yes.

literally didn't get the beta even though I got the phone when it was launched because there wasn't a reason too but then I thought it would be a change from being nougat all the time and got the Android 8.1 version.Now I realise what 'curiosity can sometimes be bad for you' means.

• A A A A A A
    ✭✭  /  edited February 19

However I do see some kind of improvement in terms of ram usage.The system (Nougat)used take up 500(approx)mb and free ram would only be about 100-200mb.But now the system only uses about 300mb of ram which means a increase of free ram. Obviously these stats are dependent on lots of aspects.

Stats above from Oreo version.

• A A A A A A
    ✭✭  /  edited February 21

I think you can solve the white nav bar issue by substuting Fluid nav gestures(FNG)or any nav bar application.

Im using FNG.For FNG you will need to grant an ADB command to hide the nav bar or use root but that is not aviable on the Nokia 2.Not only does this take away that bug but also gives you extra screen space on apps.There is the accessibility issue though were whatever you give accessibility to an app after a while it is taken away automatically.However If you disable com.evenwell.power saving.g3 and possibly power saver then you might be able to overcome this(for me this has worked).Notice*Be careful that if you choose to uninstall these apps using ADB,check that it wont make your battery life worse(this can be done by just force stopping power saver and not disabling or uninstalling it.*

• A A A A A A
    ✭✭  / 

A better solution than using FNG is using Immersive manager which includes three options :hide navigation bar/hide navigation bar and status bar/just hide status bar on the the apps that you want it to.This does require ADB as well but is well work it because it does not require accessibility service unlike FNG.I decided to use immersive manager because FNG keeps disabling accessibility service and I can't be bothered turning it on every time.