[Moved] Nokia 8 Sirocco end of security patches updates

I am the owner of a N 8 Sirocco I am planning to replace the device with the end of security patches updates.

[Moved] Nokia 8 Sirocco end of security patches updates

jbelo jbelo
✭✭  /  edited February 25

I am the owner of a N 8 Sirocco I am planning to replace the device with the end of security patches updates. Someone know where I can check when these updates will not be provided anymore for the device? Also is Nokia planning to offer a similar mobile in terms of design etc this year 2021?

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  /  edited February 25

Nokia claims 3 years of SP release from the first market release of its smartphones. The 8 Sirocco was made available around April 2018.

So, April 2021 or May or maybe another one month should be the concluding release of Security Patch support for the Sirocco. Let's see though if hmd decides to extend it via quarterly update release for another year (that's just 4 more updates, but deliver some peace of mind).

As about a similar designed phone, I don't think hmd is ready for one yet. They have lost ties with their existing ODM partner which was responsible for the Sirocco and ever since then, we haven't seen any extraordinary device from hmd. I don't expect the situation to change this year. Still, we can keep some hope since we never know what they are cooking in their kitchen.

Currently the best they offer is the Nokia 8.3 5G. See if it appeals to you or meets your expectations.

I've moved the thread from the Nokia 3.2 category to the 8 Sirocco category. That's the reason for the tag in the title.

• G V G V
    ✭✭  / 

My next phone won't be a Nokia anymore (almost 25 year Nokia user), never been so disappointed in the Sirocco and Nokia after it's A10 update.

It broke my Bluetooth and WIFI.

I have to reboot 20 times a day to get it connected to

my car (under A8 and A9 it worked perfect).

And customer care does not help… the only thing they do is reset your phone to the factory Android 8… then after the first update it is back to A10 with the same issues…

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Sorry to hear about the problems. All I can say is maybe stick with Android 8/9 and keep using it there only until you get a new phone. No point in updating if it worsens the experience.

• valyo_bg valyo_bg
    ✭✭  /  edited March 2

Factory reset helps for more of the bugs and especially for wifi. I do factory reset to resolve most of them in Android 10. Unfortunately bluetooth bug still remain. I need to toggle bluetooth to be able to connect to the car handsfree. Some time phone is connected right away, sometime not and need to toggle bluetooth. In fact after factory reset only few bugs remain - bluetooth, worst battery life (I buy and change new battery, now is better, but not like battery life with Android 9) and not possible to use GCam because of camera limitations. All other is OK after factory reset. Unfortunately Nokia is no more Nokia like in the past. I'm also over 25 years Nokia fan but will change phone brand. My next phone will not be Nokia anymore ...

• Kapor Kapor
    ✭✭  / 

I would love to go back to Android 9 or 8 but how?

I wrote to customer care multiple times ever since the first A10 update to let me go back to A9 but they said they can't do it, even at the service center.

If you know a way to go back please share, I would be grateful. Thanks

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

I can do it for you over a remote desktop session if that interests you. And yes, you cannot do it on your own due to locked bootloader.

• romu romu
    ✭✭✭  / 

Well, we have March 31. and no update arrived until now. Guess we are stranded on the February 2021 update.

• MacGyver1985 MacGyver1985
    ✭✭  / 

Let's hope it will come, and maybe as an update instead of just some security patches. And maybe, maybe with the help of a rebelious Nokia/HMD employee with a re-enabled RAW function so we can use Gcam

• valyo_bg valyo_bg
    ✭✭  /  edited March 31

We have one sentence in Bulgaria:

"Hope dies last..."

• romu romu
    ✭✭✭  / 

Yes: Hope dies last... you are right valo_bg and I would love to get more Updates and at last some fixes to the A10 Bugs or then a final transition to A11.

• valyo_bg valyo_bg
    ✭✭  /  edited April 2

Seems that this is end of Nokia. On other hand we had opportunity to be owners of this amazing Nokia 8 Sirocco phone - may be the last good one. I hope HMD will do update with bug fixes or at least will unlock bootloader. During last 20 years I has Nokia 9210i, then Nokia E90, then Nokia E7 and now Nokia 8 Sirocco. So I have good memories with all of them.

• ElZoido ElZoido
    ✭✭  / 

I would love to get some more security updates, even if infrequently.

Another major version update is realistically speaking out of question, since this would be far outside of their promises and the limited success of the sirocco hardly varants it from a business perspective, I guess.

I still very much like the idea of Android One, although update policy seems to improve for other android smartphones, too.

However, Google's own pixel phones seem quite interesting there - they do seem to be supported for quite some time, even including major version updates.

• valyo_bg valyo_bg
    ✭✭  / 

If Nokia unlocks bootloader we can install Lineage OS and will have security and OS updates for long time.

• ElZoido ElZoido
    ✭✭  / 

That would be pretty cool indeed, although you'd still need an active maintainer for the Sirocco to provide the builds. I doubt the Sirocco was/is a very widespread device, however, so probability for that might be low even then.