Vi(Vodafone Idea) VoWifi support

Can anyone confirm that Vi(Vodafone Idea) network supporting VoWifi on any of the Nokia devices along with screenshots ?

Vi(Vodafone Idea) VoWifi support

akshay kumar akshay kumar
✭✭✭  /  edited February 27

Can anyone confirm that Vi(Vodafone Idea) network supporting VoWifi on any of the Nokia devices along with screenshots ?

Comments

• Narayanan.R Narayanan.R
    ✭✭✭  / 

As of now not available at the wide range of circles and only spreading its wings on phases one by one that too with the support is for limited OEMs so it's difficult to comment now.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Given the phone supports VoWiFi and VoLTE for every network at a hardware level it is silly networks choose not to let it work, they aren't gaining anything from it.

Mind the network i use (BT Mobile, which is an MVNO) has said every phone i have tried on it will not work for either VoWiFi or VoLTE and so far i have yet to use an Android Phone that doesn't work, 3 from Nokia, 2 from OnePlus, 1 from Motorola & a Pixel have all worked just fine.

• Mark Coley Mark Coley
    ✭✭✭  / 

In the UK I'm having problems with wifi calling on the Nokia 8.1. Voxi (from Vodafone) started to roll out wifi calling in Feb 2021.

On my phone there is no option to turn on/off wifi calling. Voxi have confirmed it's been provisioned and have turned it off and on again, with no change.

My brother, also on Voxi, has a reasonably new Sony phone and it is now working on his phone. He can turn it on and off and it works routeing calls over wifi if the phone is put in airplane mode.

Voxi have sent me a new SIM which I'm just waiting for them to flip over to my account as they think this may be to blame.

However, with some experimentation I have found this:

1) If I put a plusnet SIM in (from my parents) that runs on EE the wifi calling on/off option appears. However, wifi calling doesn't work with plusnet, but the SIM is allowing the menu to appear in a way the Voxi SIM is preventing.

2) If I put my brother's Voxi SIM (where wifi calling works on Voxi in his new phone) in mine, I still have no option to turn wifi calling on or off.

3) If I put my old SIM in my brother's phone although the option for wifi calling is there it doesn't seem to work with my old SIM (perhaps suggesting my old SIM hasn't had it provisioned properly.)

4) My new SIM (not yet provisioned for voice according to the alert that pops up nor connected to my account) in my phone does not reveal the wifi calling menu either. This may be because it has no network connection (yet).

5) In my old Sony Z5 Compact, none of my current SIM, my new SIM (not yet connected to any account) or my brother's Voxi SIM show wifi calling. The Z5 was bought SIM free and is supposed to have wifi calling I think.

This makes me think the SIM tells the phone whether it should show the wifi calling option, though the phone can show the option all the time if it wants to. I know my Nokia 8.1 can show it as it appears with my parents' EE/plusnet SIM or hide it, as it does with with the 3 Voxi SIMs I have.

Once my new SIM is provisioned I can post again but I'm curious as to what's going on as I'd have expected my brother's SIM to do wifi calling in my Nokia 8.1 seeing as I know the SIM allows it and I know my Nokia 8.1 can show a menu allowing me to turn it on and off.

Perhaps Voxi/Vodafone have to have a bit of communication between the phone, SIM and network before they'll show the menu option and it isn't a simple as just updating the SIM?

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

If i put my BT Mobile SIM in my Nokia 8.1 i have the Wi-Fi Calling option but if i put my work SIM in it (GiffGaff) the Wi-Fi Calling option vanishes. GiffGaff dont offer WiFi Calling so i agree with you, the SIM tells the phone to display the option or not.

You probably know this anyway but for those that don't dialling #*#4636#*# and selecting Phone Information will tell you if the phone has Wi-Fi Calling (and VoLTE) provisioned.

• Mark Coley Mark Coley
    ✭✭✭  / 

Thanks for useful info - I had found that number but then forgot it and couldn't find it again.

Voxi have been back in touch after checking the wap settings again. Now they've concluded they don't support the Nokia 8.1 and should have told me this last week before sending and resending settings/updating my account/sending me a new SIM.

I've sent them a screen shot of #*#4636#*# (note the first characters are the other way around to what you typed!) which shows I'm on an LTE connection but Wifi calling and VoLTE are NOT provisioned.

I presume the network chooses which handsets it will support - there must be a standard the manufacturers adhere too. The websites for the various operators say they are adding more handsets all the time which suggests the work to be done is at the network level and nothing to do with the version of software on the phone.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Weirdly i did put the full code on but the forum is automatically removing parts of it:

The full code is (but remove the spaces) * # * # 4 6 3 6 # * # *

I find it really weird that networks say they dont support a handset, i could have understood this in the past but these days it is baked in to Android, it doesnt require anything network specific like it used to in times gone by.

• Mark Coley Mark Coley
    ✭✭✭  / 

The same happened when I typed the number I see!

From the network's point of view they are opening their network to the public internet so are locking as much down as possible including handsets they aren't willing to use (either due to security concerns or perhaps just lack of popularity and they don't want to invest any time testing).

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

All iPhones since the iPhone 5 (well i think it was the 5) work with every WiFi Calling enabled network, it seems strange to be selective on certain android handsets.

• Nik B Nik B
    ✭✭  / 

I'm from India using Nokia 8.1 I have two sims, Airtel and Jio both are working fine with Vowifi

• akshay kumar akshay kumar
    ✭✭✭  / 
  • nitinkachare nitinkachare
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 16

Very few devices have the support of the Vi Wifi Calling feature at the moment. More devices will get the support of Vi WiFi Calling in future. There are only four brands and the least amount of devices of those brands. You can check compatible devices on the following link. https://www.myvi.in/vi-wifi-calling