Further question on available storage on Nokia 1-plus

After recent security updates, I am left with 500 mb of storage on my phone.

Further question on available storage on Nokia 1-plus

giddyaunthope giddyaunthope
✭✭  / 

After recent security updates, I am left with 500 mb of storage on my phone. I have had the phone for 18 months and rarely use it for anything other than Whatsapp (which currently shows 65 mb), Signal (which currently shows 85 mb), another app which takes 29 mb and general text and phone calls. I had previously been able to keep a few photos and bits of video, but the phone has slowed down so much that I now delete them almost straightaway. I've had several examples of where a text has been sent to me but it has not shown up for a few hours. Can anybody help me please, regarding what else I can delete from the storage? I'm terrified of doing something wrong!! As example, I only use email on laptop, but I see that GMail takes up 108 mb. Can I delete it from phone? And these other 'pre-installed apps'? Many thanks.

Answers

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @giddyaunthope,

This situation is very difficult for phones with smaller amounts of mass storage. What I've done in the past is

1. Backup all my files and make a list of my apps, logins, etc
    2. Hard reset the phone to factory settings
    3. Restart, login to Google account and restore backup from Google
    4. Install all offered system updates
    5. Disable all pre-installed apps which I won't use (for me, almost all the pre-installed Google bloatware)
    6. Install the apps I will use
    7. Restore my files

If you like you can skip steps 1-4 and just start by disabling unwanted pre-installed apps. If you do this then you should also uninstall any apps you no longer use.

Cheers 🙂

• giddyaunthope giddyaunthope
    ✭✭  / 

Thanks for this info, Madbilly. I have copied it and will try to get a friend to help me with it, because it all sounds too scary for me to try by myself! Thanks for trying to help.