dm-verity corruption on reboot or boot up

whenever I reboot or shut down and boot the phone again, it says something like this on the ANDROID ONE screen:

dm-verity corruption on reboot or boot up

Vortex Vortex
✭✭  / 

whenever I reboot or shut down and boot the phone again, it says something like this on the ANDROID ONE screen:

dm-verity corruption

This device can't be trusted, please press the power button to boot or the phone will power off in 5s.

when I press the power button the phone successfully boots up and works as intended for now, however, I have the February security patch update available, should I update it when it's giving such an error at start up?

and what does the error mean?

Comments

• santoscleto santoscleto
    ✭✭  / 

"Android 4.4 and higher supports Verified Boot through the optional device-mapper-verity (dm-verity) kernel feature, which provides transparent integrity checking of block devices. dm-verity helps prevent persistent rootkits that can hold onto root privileges and compromise devices."

Probably you have a corrupted filesystem. While several people got it corrected with a reset to factory defaults, if that does not fix it, your only option is to send it to repair.

• Vortex Vortex
    ✭✭  / 

Oh, Okay, but is it safe to update the phone? like will it break or something? that error doesn't really bother me, unless I can't update the phone.

• santoscleto santoscleto
    ✭✭  / 

Check it with nokia, you might end-up with a bricked phone.