Android 11 on Nokia 4.2 - Page 3

Thanks! I did find the a/b switch and used it but it did not mention the removal of account first.

Android 11 on Nokia 4.2

Comments

• nocknock nocknock
     / 

Thanks! I did find the a/b switch and used it but it did not mention the removal of account first. So I got stuck reinstalling the update to 11 again first before continue.....going to try this again this weekend. Right now I reinstalled whatsapp so often that it lest me wait hours before getting code via sms or call.

• SLA SLA
     / 

HELP

My Nokia 4.2 gave me a message this morning showing all the WONDERFUL (and useless to me) functions of Android 11. Then:

I lost 4G connection, regained after cold boot;

Could not reconnect to ABC news

Cannot get ANY Google functions from Photos to Assistant.

Very frustrated AND I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO GET ANY HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Exozuba Exozuba
    ✭✭  /  edited April 24

The silly thing is that with this update I don't think there was a message recommending to backup your data first such as the Google security updates do. And in the case of the security updates it's a cautionary recommendation.

Is the SD card data loss also happening to those that don't have automatic Google Drive backups set up? That is very sad. Sorry this is continuously happening to people.

• Before installing Android 11 on my 4.2 I saved info from the SD card. Then I formatted it and removed it from the device. I reinstalled it as a portable device. After downloading Android 11, I recovered all the files. The applications are in the internal memory, the photos and other files are in the SD card. I checked all the device settings. Everything is working fine

• Gohan Gohan
    ✭✭  / 

So many bugs in the most recent update! SD card isn't working properly. Apps stored there aren't working properly. A lot of my images have been corrupted or deleted entirely! NOKIA FIX THIS ASAP!!

• Gohan Gohan
    ✭✭  / 
  • S-U_2 S-U_2
    ✭✭  / 

So 2 weeks later still no solution.

• WAusJackBauer WAusJackBauer
    ✭✭  / 

Can anyone confirm for 100% that if you do a factory reset while you're on Android 10, while you go through the setup process it will automatically download and install Android 11?

If yes, I wonder if you can avoid by not connecting to wifi when going through the setup process.

• THanks21 THanks21
    ✭✭  / 

Hey WAusJackBauer

I've done 2 resets (one with sd card in, one without sd card), and did connect to wifi during the set up process. Both times, the phone updated to Android 11. I have not tried resetting and skipping the wifi connection during setup.

As others have pointed out, Android 11 without any sd card seems to work fine. In the past, I had used the card formatted as internal storage , which seems to really mess things up with A11. I have not tried using card as portable external storage yet. Hope that helps someone.

TH

• user1518127150749 user1518127150749
    ✭✭  / 

On my 4.2 SD card is installed as external storage. The device works without problems with Android 11

• Nobluetooth Nobluetooth
    ✭✭  / 

Another thing I noticed is that if I turn off the keypad tones they will turn themselves back on again after a while. This upgrade was a big mistake. Please fix it Nokia or I will have to buy another phone - and it won't be a Nokia.

• WAusJackBauer WAusJackBauer
    ✭✭  / 

Both times? How did you update to Android 11 twice?

• BillG BillG
    ✭✭  /  edited May 6

Yes Doni Winata. Had many issues with the update from Android 10 to 11 including losing all my pictures on my Nokia 4.2 luckily I had off-loaded most of the important ones. I had to do a full reset and re-install all my 6-8 apps. Now my VOIP phone app works better than it did but the NFC does not function (with FreeStyle LibreLink the Diabetic Sensor-reading app) and also the Bluetooth Volume is very low (using TextNow VOIP app).

Hope that helps. I know what it's like to develop ;)

• Nach dem automatischen Update von Android 10 auf 11 sind alle meine Dateien auf der SD Karte verschlüsselt. Darunter auch wertvolle Bilder und Videos. Leider habe ich vor 14 Tagen eine Sicherung erstellt, aber Bilder und Videos meiner ausgerechnet in dieser Zeit verstorbenen Eltern sind nicht mehr lesbar. Was kann ich tun? Mein Nokia 2.2 habe ich die SD Karte als zusätzlichen Speicher formatiert.

• Bakerman Bakerman
    ✭✭  / 

This is unbelievable! Lat year more than 6 months issues with notifications.

Now I cannot access my photos on my SD-card.

Is this ever going to stop?

How can I gain access again to my pictures?

• Egy Laksma Suandi Egy Laksma Suandi
    ✭✭  / 

I will never buy Nokia devices anymore

• NMG NMG
    ✭✭  /  edited May 9

Upgraded to Android 4.2 and the phone stopped connecting automatically to WiFi. All was well with WiFI in Android 10.

Here's a typical scenario: get home and phone will stay connected to mobile data. If I go to the WiFi settings in the phone, I see my wireless networks with full signal but marked "saved". If I tap it, it will connect just fine.

I have reset network settings. I have "forgotten" and re-added the wifi network but it will still won't connect automatically.

The April security update was applied yesterday and problem persists.

I bought this phone last year and I have seriously regretted it. The hardware is fine for what I need but the software quality is just unacceptable.

• S-U_2 S-U_2
    ✭✭  / 

It appears a new update is released for the 4.2 (april security update).

Anyone any luck getting the sd card functional again?

• Erik Persson Erik Persson
    ✭✭  / 

I installed the April update some days ago. The Bluetooth app still crashes repeatedly in the car. However, the battery drain issue seems to have been fixed.

• Tyfomir Tyfomir
    ✭✭  / 

The April security update doesn't improve or repair anything, like WiFi connectivity or SD compatibility. I'm sorry, pal :-(

• Bakerman Bakerman
    ✭✭  / 

I had an email conversation with Nokia Support. The woman who answered my first 3 mails tried to help me solve the problem. No succes. The last 2 mails came from another one and stated it was mainly my fault. I should have known that doing an upgrade could destroy my data...and closed my case...😶 Thanks for nothing.

Nokia Support:

"You should know that major updates can sometimes erase and reformat the SD card you have in your phone in case it was formatted as internal storage. This is because the card will be considered as an extension of the phone's default memory and since updates, especially major ones, aren't always comfortable with being installed partially on a SD card that can be removed at any time, this is a situation that may occur."

But why didn't the upgrade message warn me to do a full back-up of my sd-card?

• Tyfomir Tyfomir
    ✭✭  / 

Nokia Support talks a lot of nonsense. Usually.

• Dorset123 Dorset123
    ✭✭  / 

My wife's phone Nokia 4.2 updated to Android 11 the only problem with hers is the bluetooth will not connect to our car now it was fine before the update.

Has anyone any ideas on how to correct this fault.

Thank You

• michald michald
    ✭✭  / 

Unbelivable **** upgrade, shame. BT in music profile not working on 2/3 bt devices (car, speaker etc). Music player notifications? Forget, sometimes visible, sometimes not. Fingerprint randomly does not react. And random restarts. I liked that phone for a long time, but not anymore...

• Erik Persson Erik Persson
    ✭✭  /  edited May 18

Automatic updating of Apps does not happen automatically any longer and appears to work rather erratically also when initiated manually - apparently background downloading is no longer operating as it should. Automatic back-up of photographs to one's Google account has also ceased to work.

• kum gopu kum gopu
    ✭✭  / 

Android 11 is disaster in terms of sd card compatibility. And also facing what's app media download issue when sd is part of internal memory. Solve this issue ASAP.

• Tyfomir Tyfomir
    ✭✭  / 

Indeed!

• Johannes Rehm Johannes Rehm
    ✭✭  / 

Probably Nokia should stop focussing on this crown and put more effort into testing their devices properly before they roll out all these updates.

So many issues, so many bugs! If Nokia would have actually tested before the update, they would have detected at least some of the bugs and would never have rolled out this crap.

It is easy to just take the updates from Google and deliver them to the users. It is harder to deliver stable software.

• Hk29 Hk29
    ✭✭  / 

There are a lot of problems with photos, WhatsApp, telegram and few other apps.

1. Photos app not working properly. Didn't see photos after taking them. I couldn't find it in the files.

2. Could not download audios, videos and images sent by WhatsApp. Also failed to send photos to others.

3. Many times failed to download and upload photos in telegram app.

Please solve these issues. Otherwise it is good.

• Tyfomir Tyfomir
    ✭✭  / 

It doesn't look like Nokia is paying attention. Any attention. My advice is to chose other brand. Unfortunately, other brands aren't that much better. All the same crap 🤔