"MAC-Bug": First Problems with Android 11: WiFi-MAC changes even if "Use Device MAC" is chosen

Hey, Germany finally got Android 11. And here is the first problematic thing:

"MAC-Bug": First Problems with Android 11: WiFi-MAC changes even if "Use Device MAC" is chosen

Moshammer Moshammer
✭✭  /  edited April 28

Hey,

Germany finally got Android 11. And here is the first problematic thing:

The WiFi-MAC changes randomly even if you choose "Use Device MAC" in the settings for the specific WiFi.

This is a big problem for me, as my HomeWifi is secured by WPA3 and MAC-Control. So, even if I got the right Pwd, the sent random MAC doesn't match the MAC expected from the WiFi Router. -> No access.

I already checked the "developer" settings; the "advanced Wifi-MAC-randomizing" (Don't know the exact english discription) is switched off.

Does anyone have a workaround on that topic? Else I would name it "MAC-Bug" and hope it will be solved soon...

Comments

• Moshammer Moshammer
    ✭✭  / 

I did a full factory Reset today. The problem is not solved with that. MAC is still randomizing in fix MAC Mode.

This is getting really annoying as even if I switch off MAC Check in my WiFi Router, my router is running out of IP addresses: with every new MAC the phone gets a new IP.

• santoscleto santoscleto
    ✭✭  /  edited June 28

Just upgraded one of the two nokias 2.2 to android 11 (uninstall everything, change sdcard to external, upgrade, reset, add sd card as internal - this seems to do the sd card issue strick even if we found out some apps or games crash often -, so that all would be fresh).

And now I have testing the wifi issues and found out that the wifi setting is respected (if you change the wifi from the default randomization to use the device mac address it sticks) BUT untill a next reboot is done! I found out that at every reboot of the device the device is now changing its physical mac address (I just saw it changing the 4th block, going from a xx-xx-xx-8c-xx-xx to a xx-xx-xx-b0-xx-xx).

This is not a wifi issue setting but something way even worst, it is now changing the mac address at every reboot! Damn nokia, this is a major and very nasty issue!

I even tried , in the developer settings, enable and disable the enhanced randomize mac addresses, but this changes nothing. A lot of apps and settings in all Nokia that upgraded to android 11 (nokia 4.2 also has similar issues) seem to not be saved or are lost, I am sure this is one of them, but since this is at system core level is a very nasty one indeed.

✭✭  / 

3 reboots, 3 different mac addresses, wifi not randomized!

00-08-22-8c-bd-fb

00-08-22-e8-bb-fc

00-08-22-1c-c3-fb

Com on Nokia, this is a nasty bug!

✭✭  / 

In android 10, the device would report itself to the router as "HM Global Oy" and now it reports itself as "InPro Comm", something weirdo changed here, very nasty, this is breaking havoc with my router.

NOKIA, ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION TO THIS ISSUE?

✭✭  / 

So, I have two different behaviours on two same nokia 2.2:

• On both I ejected the sdcard before any upgrades to ensure no issues with it afterwards and uninstalled any non-default apps;
    • On one I then upgraded to android 11, then reset it (no restore, all setup fresh), setup basic stuff, add sdcard as internal, reinstalled the apps, and this one has the "InPro Comm" issue where it keeps changing the mac address even if setup to not do it, tried all possible changes/combinations, nothing seems to solve it;
    • Another I then upgraded to android 11, but no reset was done, I added the sdcard as internal, reinstalled the apps, this one, so far, shows no changing mac addresses (and since I name the devices on my wifi router, don't know how this one reports itself, if "InPro Comm" or "HMD Global Oy");
    • On both, Bluetooth is not very stable and both are as slow as android 10, I was hoping a tiny bit of speed increase and stability on android 11 but saw nothing of that.

So, it seems that a reset causes more issues than solves them? Are you paying attention to this NOKIA ?