HMD the great!!

HMD has failed for the below. Android one New OS upgrades Monthly security patches What more do you want to stay away from this company?

HMD the great!!

Lawrence JB Lawrence JB
✭✭✭✭  / 

HMD has failed for the below.

Android one

New OS upgrades

Monthly security patches

What more do you want to stay away from this company?

Comments

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 

I don't see HMD failing on any of the points you mentioned.

They are the only ones left who are making Android One phones now. They are also delivering monthly security patches to all their eligible devices from low end to high end. Sometimes, updates get delayed but even Android Enterprise Recommended devices have a grace period of 90 days. So, if HMD delivers an update within 90 days of its release they are perfectly fine. You should read this post on XDA as it contains a lot of details.

They are also delivering the latest android version upgrade to all the eligible phones once it is ready. At least the bugs are far less now than we saw on 2018 devices receiving Android Pie which IMO is a good thing. Users will be happy with stable and useable software than facing bugs due to a rushed update.

Software releases take time and they can't just roll out unfinished software to end consumers. They will roll out an update only when it is ready. 😊

• Lawrence JB Lawrence JB
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Sorry, I cannot agree with you on this. Android One's a failure and you will know this soon.

I was a Nokia loyal for the past 15 years, but from last year am kinda **** off with their casual way of dealing with OS upgrades or software updates. Pure, Secure and up-to-date tagline is what makes me mad at them. None of this is fulfilled and Covid is just an excuse.

I am only concerned about their tagline up-to-date here, so I don't want to know how monthly security patch updates work. If they cannot fulfill, remove that tagline from all their marketing stuff and we are fine. They won't do that because if they do, they'll lose most of the remaining customers.

By now all the phones should have had A11, not you delay and frustrate the users without even releasing a statement and then bring new roadmap. 6 devices still pending in their so called Q2 2021 roadmap. Let c how they'll do this by next month. I am 💯 sure they cannot.

This is why I say that they've failed.

Super User  /  edited May 14

This isn't about Android One is good or bad. I know the limitations of Android One and as a Nokia fan, I would really love to see Nokia Mobile slowly move away from it and offer a unique experience.

But when it comes to software updates on Android One phones, HMD is perfectly fine and is delivering the updates regularly. They said up-to-date software and they promoted it that way. Did they ever say that the monthly update will be delivered in the same month? They never said that. If they deliver the update within the set time frame then why is it even a problem?

And you need to know how updates work before you come to conclusions. They are clearly fulfilling the update promise. You don't seem to be concerned about getting updates here but more about why you didn't get it in the same month and not using the tag line. BTW I don't see the "Pure Secure and Up to Date" tagline being used by Nokia Mobile anymore. They have already moved to newer hashtags. 😉

About major updates, I am sure they are ready this time and that's the reason they released the updated roadmap now. The devices will be updated as per the roadmap. Phones work even on Android 10 and users will use them to do the same day-to-day tasks even after receiving Android 11. So, why is this even made to look like such a big issue?

All I would say is, it is much better to just chill and not think much about software updates. I got Android 11 on my 2.4 and trust me the device still feels almost the same with just a few changes here and there. No drastic changes and feature additions come to Android One and you know it too. The reason why we want Nokia Mobile to try something new. 😁😅

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Hi @Lawrence JB, I understand your frustration, however, creating a new thread for the same topic every other day is not going to fix any of the problems. What it will do is increase the amount of spam here.

I hope to not see any further new threads for the same rants, else I'll have to merge/delete them. You can very welcome to continue the discussions in the existing threads that you have/others created for this topic.

Regards,

✭✭✭✭  /  edited May 15

Only a Nokia fan can understand another, good to know that you understand what we all want from HMD (Nokia)

May be I was exaggerating 😉

✭✭✭✭  / 

You can delete this thread, it's an unnecessary topic.

• rajivs rajivs
    ✭✭  / 

Then I have to say that you have seen everything wrong here. First of all its Nokia's problem if they are the only ones left with Android one program not ours the customers. whatever nokia charges for their devices we pay that to them despite the fact that they have always keep themselves far behind the other brands regarding the hardware. That means it's clear here that users like you and me are keep buying nokia because of their android one program and that too because of the hope that we receive updates at least according to plan made by hmd global. But that is not happening here.

Secondly, tell me of right now nokia 5.3 have no bugs. In fact it's full of bugs. One of the major bugs is the proximity sensor why don't hmd global tries to fix that. We are using the phone with that for the last 6 month may be more than that.

So bugs are the part of every new Major update whether it's for the pc or smartphone. We are using other phones with a11 and they are running absolutely fine then why only u apply bug rule to hmd global. So please don't threat to delete the post or something like that. You also know the fact that this time hmd failed to deliver so don't try to defend them with the help of some articles of xda. These days most of us knows how android security patches works.

Lastly! It's just my answer to you as a friend, so don't take it as I am arguing you.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

@rajivs, that wasn't a threat. I only want to see organized content here. Just don't create new threads. I (and luckily hmd too) are kinda fine with the negative feedback in here. They don't censor anything so far, so, it's nice that they are allowing everybody to speak up.

You're most welcome to continue and say it. But if you create a nre thread and say the same thing, it has to be deleted. You can continue in existing ones na :) Thanks for understanding.

You're right about hmd's promises in general and the bugs, I agree.

• rajivs rajivs
    ✭✭  / 

First of all is hmd global the only Brad who have the community. There are other brands bigger than hmd glabal who have communities as well and there users let their frustrations out there too but they don't apply fine.

Hmd glabal also knows they are in a position to censor anything.

Lastly! Yes I understand that there are already many threads regarding this topic so rather than creating new one we just need to read those.

• user1539581515480 user1539581515480
    ✭✭  / 

Can you tell me why nokia 5.3 an android one device, with android 11 ready sticker on box skipped March 2021 security update and is only on April 1 2021 security in may 2021 without any android 11 update

• user1539581515480 user1539581515480
    ✭✭  / 

You have nokia 2.4 and got Android 11, I have nokia 5.3 and I'm still on Android 10 that is what angers me, it looks like hand global does not want us to buy their higher end products😓😓😓

• OfficiallyEpiK OfficiallyEpiK
    ✭✭  / 

You do realise Q2 is April, May or June right?They still have 5 1/2 weeks...

Super User  / 

I have a Nokia 7.2 and a Nokia 9 too. Both haven't received Android 11 and I don't know why I would get angry about it. There's no reason to get frustrated or angry for software updates. They will arrive and after installing the phones will still be the same and you will be using it in the same way. So, why all this anger?

• rajivs rajivs
    ✭✭  / 

Ok! What u will do if hmd global failed to deliver the update according to its new roadmap? Are u going to defend them again or start criticizing them?

✭✭✭✭  / 

Whether they follow the roadmap or not, I don't care anyway. They've already passed the date twice for Nokia 5.3. So, may be, there's an issue with the internal developers who are working on the updates.

Super User  / 

They wouldn't have shared the updated roadmap in the first place if they weren't ready this time.😉

I am not defending anyone here. They were slow this time and sometimes things don't work out as expected. The main highlight of the Android One program is updates so, I agree, this shouldn't have happened. The updates have got delayed but it doesn't mean they are never going to update that phone ever.

According to the updated roadmap, Nokia 5.3 should be receiving the in Q2 which means the update should arrive by June at max.

• Edgar.A. Edgar.A.
    ✭✭  /  edited May 23

STOP IT!! Whoooo? these fairy tales, please, no longer need to tell us - just tired of being openly lied to ! unfortunately, I am a user of Nokia 5.3, and it turns out that I was deceived by Nokia users who promised to update the phone within 2 years, and in the end I revealed another fairy tale that they do not have time and simultaneously releases several new smartphones - of course, they do not have time, because new smartphones and old ones will not go anywhere ! Let then your honest Nokia will return to all users of Nokia 5.3 phones at least half of the money - HE DECEIVED ALL USERS of Nokia 5.3 phones. But this will not happen Nokia of course will not reimburse nikolma nichegsho - he has so much courage he will not have enough he has already proved this he does not admit that he deceived people then he would have to somehow compensate but he is ready to be ashamed but not ready to be responsible for this action-because he will have less money and what he deceived is normal that's what Nokia is we now know that Nokia which was a few years ago he simply DOES NOT EXIST!"

• MMF MMF
    ✭✭✭  / 

Nokia 6.2 still got March SP.

And us 5.3 owners got so much time without any information from HMD. This is wrong way. Just so many promises broken.

• MMF MMF
    ✭✭✭  / 

Android 12 preview: here's Google's radical new design 

• MMF MMF
    ✭✭✭  / 

HMD Global has been quite slow with the roll-out of Android 11 to its devices. For a brand that brags about how great it is when it comes to software updates, this is disappointing. Now, a new Android 11 roadmap released.

• MMF MMF
    ✭✭✭  / 

No matter where the fault lies, it’s not a promising sign that HMD Global’s Android phones are struggling to receive system updates, especially when its original promises weren’t spectacular to begin with. HMD’s 2020 Android flagship for the United States, the Nokia 8.3 5G UW, is only guaranteed to receive one more update after Android 11. Meanwhile, Samsung is delivering three years of OS updates and four years of security patches for most of its phones.

• MMF MMF
    ✭✭✭  / 
  • MMF MMF
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 24

What's happening with Android One?

Google's once-pivotal program for exceptional yet affordable Android phones seems to be fading — and maybe for good reason.

Xiaomi quits with Android one.

Super User  / 

Android One will vanish very soon. Companies can offer a much better user experience compared to Android One. It is a good thing that companies stop making Android One phones. Would be amazing to see Nokia phones with their own unique UI.

• rajivs rajivs
    ✭✭  / 

Yeah, I would love to see an interface similar to pixel but with some important customisations like gesture to take screenshots etc.

✭✭✭✭  / 

We can only dream about this, HMD don't have the guts to move out of Android One.

✭✭✭✭  / 
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Nokia 3.4 and Nokia 5.4 scheduled to get A11 this quarter received only May security patch based on A10. This means roadmaps are only to fool customers but nothing in real. I had this doubt in my mind from day 1, that they will not be able to stick to their new plan. This company is destined to be doomed now as most of the users who trusted this brand will be **** off by now.