Software Updates for the Nokia 8.3 5G

Why is the Nokia 8.3 5G only getting two years of OS updates? Why isn't it getting the three years of software updates like the X20/X10?

Software Updates for the Nokia 8.3 5G

loco73 loco73
✭✭  /  edited June 18

Why is the Nokia 8.3 5G only getting two years of OS updates? Why isn't it getting the three years of software updates like the X20/X10? At 8GB of RAM and 128GB of internal storage as well as the chip set Qualcomm's Snapdragon 765G it can more than handle another OS beyond Android 12.

The 8.3 5G is more expensive than the devices in the new portfolio and in terms of hardware, with some exceptions, better.

Comments

• superconker superconker
    ✭✭  /  edited June 21

This is a horrible way for Nokia to treat their customers.

The Nokia 8.3 5G is a flag-ship device, but only gets two years of OS updates?

People should be getting 3 years of OS updates, just like on the X20.

And the 8.3 is still being sold and thus, needs it's OS updates still

(it's a current device as of writing).

I was considering buying the 8.3 but this might make me stay clear off of it,

(it's practically EOL/unsupported already).

Other brands gives you 3 years of OS updates, regardless of the model you pick.

• loco73 loco73
    ✭✭  / 

The device itself is solid and grea all around. If Nokia Mobile were add just one more round or software updates, like let's say Android 13 to the mix, then it would be an even stronger contender.

Who knows...they may...

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Honestly, this is like demanding things beyond the company's advertising and working methods. They designed the new devices and possibly devised the pricing to help them get feasible returns that are supportive for maintaining the device software for a longer period of time.

As such, even though the Nokia 8.3 5G is a pricier device, the phone was only advertised for 2-years of Android OS upgrades and you bought it with that promise. I think it is unfair to demand longer support just because hmd is implementing a different strategy for its new portfolio. The vendor who handles the software for the 8.3 would have already had a contract with hmd for 2 years of core Android support. Any change to that will also mean that hmd will need to provide more money to the vendor, which might not be feasible from the device's retail prices.

That said, it would definitely be nice if they can consider this and offer an additional Android OS upgrade for the device. But I won't curse them if they don't.

• loco73 loco73
    ✭✭  / 

I wasn't demanding an extra year of OS updates. I doubt me demanding something like that would make any difference anyways. I was just wondering why the 8.3 isn't getting one, considering that the specs of the phone could definitely accomodate another update past Android 12. It is a shame because the Nokia 8.3 5G is a helluva device, very underrated. The internals are the same or better than the X20/X10, and definitely above the G20/G10. And I quite like those devices as well, since I'm a Nokia fan.

• Van Thieu Van Thieu
    ✭✭  / 

In most cases, it could be that Google's contract agreement with Nokia to only provide OS update for two years. Considering that it's running on Android instead of Symbian or MeeGo OS. The 8.3 is a Google One device after all, getting 2 years of OS plus 1 year of security patches is basically 3 years.

• Aryannad Aryannad
     / 

I recently upgraded to a Nokia 8.3 and installed all the necessary updates as you do when you get a new phone.

However, Google Security Patch 2021-03 will download and ask me to restart. I restart the phone and it then asks to download and reinstall the same update.

I don't know if it's either not installing or my phone is bugging out. Any help would be appreciated.

Skylight Paycard