Any official docs or terms on the regular maintanance?

Recently I stuck on the post where a Nokia user suggested to make a petition about poor maintanance of software updates by HMD, essentially this comment was intended there but it got me thinking what documents HMD actually shows to the people and if there is any mention of the terms of updates legally.

Any official docs or terms on the regular maintanance?

FedyaG FedyaG
✭✭✭  / 

Recently I stuck on the post where a Nokia user suggested to make a petition about poor maintanance of software updates by HMD, essentially this comment was intended there but it got me thinking what documents HMD actually shows to the people and if there is any mention of the terms of updates legally. First of all I would sign the petition ,sure, if that act will show HMD the feedback which they lack (or don't look :)) to receive at forums.

And secondly I was searching for any commitment docs which can be actually used as a proof in the civil case if to try to actually do anything via country law, e.g. refund due to unfullfilment of contract, but unfortunately didn't find yet, did anyone see some official documents or else where HMD commits to anything? And this leads me to the unfortunate conclusion, that only commitment is made on site marketing materials which clearly can be changed few times a day :( actually if I'm not mistaken when 7.2 was released their marketing was stating 2 years of OS upgrade and 3 years of security, so many people were led to the wrong conclusion that they will get it timely. But now I see on site the statement of 2 major versions of OS and 3 years of security, that proves the fact that there is no official commitment and the statements are just marketing fluff.

By the way I was so fantasised by the fact tha a real alternative to Pixel arrived on market in terms of maintanance I bought 2 phones, 7.2 for myself and a bit later 5.3 for my wife.

Comments

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 

Nokia/HMD has always delivered updates on a timely basis to all their Android One smartphones. Since, their 1st Android One phone in 2018, their promise has remained the same. 2 major OS updates and 3 years of security patches for all their Android One smartphones. This changed recently with Nokia X Series which will be receiving 3 major Android upgrades.

There are no documents or such things that I know about. I don't think there are any but we know they always provide updates. This is the first time that even security patches for some phones have got delayed and there must be some reason behind it but HMD never communicates if they are having some difficulties so we never know.

BTW, How's your experience with the Nokia 7.2 and the Nokia 5.3 so far?

• FedyaG FedyaG
    ✭✭✭  / 

Interesting about 3 major updates for X, could you please advise where this info can be found?

All in all, I like the phones nevertheless, they are not superb but quite strong average and nice looking. I don't play mobile games, for all other activities, work, video, music they are okay.

There are some lags of course here or there but nothing too frustrating.

I see them as a good tool, with lifespan around 4 years)

And of course, I like bare android, main reason for purchase.

• FedyaG FedyaG
    ✭✭✭  / 

BTW, I found where I saw the two years of major mention, it's on the android 10 page.

• FedyaG FedyaG
    ✭✭✭  /  edited June 23

And, if to follow the link, there is no study left... Funny.

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 

Must have been moved by the 3rd party or removed. But, don't worry, Nokia hasn't broken the promise till now. Presently, there are some unexplained delays in delivering updates to some devices but they must we working on a fix. 😁

Nice to know that you are happy with the phones. 😃

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Hi @FedyaG I think there is some confusion with your observation. If you look closely, the 2 years of OS updates = 2 Android OS updates.

Because Google only releases 1 major Android revision per year and that is the case for several years. So, in a 12 month period, you will only see 1 Android core update coming from Google. That translates to 2 in 24 months and hence 2 years of updates = 2 OS updates. I think the latter is a clearer term than the years' remarks.

The timely part is more like a self-interpretation because we assume so and initially hmd was also delivering fast OS updates. What hmd actually advertises is only monthly security updates. They do not commit any speed for the core OS updates - they essentially never did.

The advertisement for monthly OS updates is always there and it is also a selling point of the Android One program. Hence, you can include Google documents about Android One if you wish to convert it to a legal claim. The phone features the Android One logo which means it is developed to adhere to the selling points of Android One.