just checked the 'old' Android11 road map

i've just checked the once 'new' road map to see if 7.2 is the only forsaken one.

just checked the 'old' Android11 road map

rubsiu rubsiu
✭✭  /  edited July 6

i've just checked the once 'new' road map to see if 7.2 is the only forsaken one.

checking against all the other phone model communities you can see that most of the promised Q2 phones still haven't got the update yet, and not the mention those Q3 ones.

base on the progress, a very optimistic guess will be getting Android 11 by the end of Q4 / early Q1 2022. A more realistic one would be around the end of Q2 2022, by the time where android 13 should be ready to release on other brands already.

note1: most of the other communities also complains about no security update since March, is it a coincident event?

note2: Nokia 1 Plus is the latest one to get A11 update, which began last month

note3: Nokia 9 pureview hasn't got much new threads in the community, possibly most users have left already since it was released more than 2 years ago.

note4: Nokia 1.4 doesn't even have its own community page

i spend hours to do this report, welcome to leave comments

Comments

• lior levi new account lior levi new account
    ✭✭✭  / 

I also hope that the black ninja who censors here will be left without a job.

• Lior Levi Lior Levi
    ✭✭  / 
  • artful splodger artful splodger
    ✭✭✭  / 

It seems to me since Nokia didn't take part in the Android 11 beta testing program it is now lagging behind, the Android One program seems to be in disarray at Nokia, this is an old article but just about sums up the current situation.

https://piunikaweb.com/2020/10/18/no-nokia-device-in-android-11-beta-program-unlike-android-9-10-what-does-it-mean-for-android-one/

• Manish Toor Manish Toor
    ✭✭✭  / 

Recently read a article saying NOKIA 7.2 spotted running A11 on Geekbench.

✭✭✭  / 

Yes I've seen that aswell, but quite a few models are on Geekbench running Android 11 aswell, probably a test phase. As a side note my Samsung tablet just updated to Android 11 today, visually it looks & feels the same.

Just hope when Nokia eventually do roll Android 11 out it fixes the bugs users are having, I won't hold my breath on than though 😕

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

My understanding of Android development tells me that there's no relation between them not being a part of beta program and the delay in updates. The problem would be with something else that they better fix, because otherwise we're likely gonna see the same fate for Android 12, which has a lot of cosmetic changes and may need a lot more testing.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

I hope it wasn't just a regular user with unlocked bootloader and a custom Android 11 ROM/GSI who ran the geekbench tests on his device 😅 We never know.

But still, I hope the updates will be rolled out soon.

• FedyaG FedyaG
    ✭✭✭  / 

Basically the 2 year period of OS upgrades is finishing in September. So they might just skip it as, marketing didn't promise 2 versions of OS, but 2 years of OS upgrades. I hope of course that they not use this opportunity :) but technically speaking the marketing promises don't guarantee anything. :/

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

No, they will not skip it. At least that's the amount of faith I have. The 2 years or 2 Android updates are a marketing point of the device and under fair advertising rules, that can be a very strong legal point if a consumer reaches a consumer disputes redressal court.

✭✭✭  / 
  • Vasilis Kos. Vasilis Kos.
    ✭✭✭  /  edited July 7

I also hope he deletes (again) for good your account, and bans you for life, so this community finds its peace again...😄

• Lior Levi Lior Levi
    ✭✭  /  edited July 7

@Vasilis Kos.

It went from a sense of rage to ridicule

When the trolls belittle allegations and interfere with discussions about real phone problems

And when I expose those trolls - the censor here erases me.

But when they attack me it's okay - the censor probably forgot the English language or fell into a winter coma.

• BratwurstmitSenf BratwurstmitSenf
    ✭✭✭  /  edited July 7

Status 07.07.2021, 20:20 (German date/time format):

Pixel 5: Security Patch July 2021/Android 11

Nokia 7.2: Security Patch April 2021/Android 10

Nokia 8.1 Security Patch May 2021/Android 11

✭✭✭  / 

That may be. But the exciting question is how many updates will appear within the remaining time! I like to refer here again to the column "Security Patch Cadence" and the value "Monthly"...!

✭✭✭  /  edited July 7

The problem here is the enforcement of the law! I assume that no one will seek a court case because of a phone. Either because you can't afford it or because it's not worth it! HMD knows this and creates facts without delivering updates!

In this case, it only helps not to buy devices from HMD/Nokia in the future! In Germany, there is an apt saying: "You always meet twice in life". This fits the situation with HMD/Nokia very well.

• FedyaG FedyaG
    ✭✭✭  / 

I was talking about OS upgrades, they are during 2 years, not 3. For SP updates it's 2022, yes :)

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

It wasn't deleted by me, else I'd have accepted it already. It happened by mistake by another superuser.

I wouldn't ever do such a thing since I'm a very pro-consumer user. My only complaint is about accusing others, spamming and breaking the community rules. Otherwise, I don't think anybody rants or complaints more than me. Heck, I'm a serious hater of Android One progam itself, but that's just me. If somebody says that they are happy with Android One, we can only debate and argue na, but not fight or call each other names.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Sure, that can be fairly right. But in my country, filing a consumer dispute in a court is very straightforward and cost effective. But yes, it does consume time and can be a headache to attend and be present at the hearing dates. Yes, very rarely do consumers take that resort, but I think it is necessary that consumer do make use of their rights because that's what will ensure that the business don't exploit the consumers.

All that said, maybe sometimes it is nice to support others in their bad times 🤗. Although definitely not by burning your own house. If security patches are very important to you, that's fine. Else, maybe let's just give them time to set things up again, because we can't even do much anyways. Ofcourse not asking to buy a new device from them unless they manage to build the trust again via facts and consistency.

• FedyaG FedyaG
    ✭✭✭  / 

I also want to believe that they are moving into direction for settling things up and straighten the process, but the most problem here unfortunately is absolute lack of transparency. Which is obviously looks like ignoring audience :) I wish them better community work) As the current looks like "okay, we don't care, please do as you wish" and eventually all people who sets the after sale support to the first place will move on indeed.

• rubsiu rubsiu
    ✭✭  /  edited August 18

hey guys more than a month has passed since i started this post

here is a little update on the above roadmap

5.3 and 1.3 have got their A11 update respectively in the last month, which is largely behind the schedule but at least it showed some progress. we can expect A11 on our phone very close to the end of Q4 2021 according to the trend

i'll update u guys next month again

stay tuned

• join my discussion and press the agree button.

• Andi Aay Andi Aay
    ✭✭  / 

It's abaut TRUST

• jaikn1985 jaikn1985
    ✭✭  / 

All the models promised A11 for Q2 completed as 1.4 got A11 today.Hopefully 7.2 will be one getting update next. Fingers crossed.

• rubsiu rubsiu
    ✭✭  / 

hi, its me again, another month has passed and here is the update:

all the Q2 phones have got their A11 update as 5.4 began to receive it a few days ago. And thanks to jaikn1985's update about 1.4.

From the trend it takes Nokia about a month to update 2-3 phones while Q3 is coming to its end in 2 weeks. So let's hope we'll get the update in early Q4.

• Jkk312 Jkk312
    ✭✭  / 

Seems hmd not earning enough money like other companies to fulfill promise ,delaying update for my nokia 7.2, may be they need to launch custom skines ui with loats of bloatware so they earn money (eg like samsung)

• I'm not taking sides but quite few OEM are struggling to update their devices to A11, Motorola, LG, Microsoft, especially those who went to a ODM for manufacturing purposes. I'm just saying............ maybe that's the real issues.......THE SAYING SAY'S IF YOU WANT SOMETHING DONE...... DO IT YOUR SELF.......