Does anyone from HMD even monitor this forum?

Lots of people have posted about lack of news on Android 11 update. Can we get an official answer from the company on this?

Does anyone from HMD even monitor this forum?

hrp1618 hrp1618
✭✭  / 

Lots of people have posted about lack of news on Android 11 update. Can we get an official answer from the company on this?

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  /  edited July 6

The forum has been called as a peer to peer platform and as such hmd doesn't have an official responsibility to be present here and respond to user queries. That said, yes, some hmd employees are here, and they probably themselves don't have any further news to share.

Communications at hmd haven't been nice since a long time now. The good days were only till 2018 when we still her a considerable number of staff members who used to come here and interact.

The best place for official answers would be probably emailing their support or calling them on social media because they are more likely to respond to user queries there. Here... I don't think so.

• starquake starquake
    ✭✭  /  edited July 7

Remember once we have had a slight heated conversation about nokia being not able to provide the update on time neither they communicate with their users. You were on HMD's side then. Now they have failed to deliver their promise again.

What is your take on HMD global now?

It's just a friendly question, don't mind! I'm asking this because your are one of the oldest members of this forum.

As far as I goes now I don't believe in this company anymore! Do you still stand with them?

• starquake starquake
    ✭✭  / 

Yeah! I agree to each and every point that you have explained. I hope that hmd will succeed in future and that because I love nokia. But what they are doing now is ruined them already to an extent that they will struggle to overcome.

• Macgarrett Macgarrett
    ✭✭  / 

@singhnsk - well said. I'm also looking to replace my 5.3 with another device manufacturer. I've lost all consumer confidence in HMD due to their recent bungling of OS and security updates. Sometimes Management makes really awful business decisions. The selection of ODM Longcheer is one of them, along with completely ignoring existing customers who ask for definitive clarification on software updates. The gleeful Campfire sessions are another failed marketing attempt to gain customer appreciation.

• Lawrence JB Lawrence JB
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Today, I came to know from a reliable source that HMD internally has a lot of mismanagement happened after Juho's exit and is now focusing only on budget devices and the newer series mostly C series. Mid range market is as of now of no concern or profitable for them.

Nokia 5.3 A11 update is further delayed to October- December 2021.

A11 updates for Nokia 3.4 and Nokia 5.4 may come sooner.

The roadmaps shared were strictly marketing tactics.

Didn't expect this coming from a brand I loved and trusted so much.

Enough is enough cannot continue with HMD anymore, so I've already put Nokia 5.3 on OLX.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  /  edited July 14

I don't see any credibility in this information. They are clearly bringing the G and X series and also the upcoming rugged XR series of devices. So, on what basis is the C series their only focus? Sure C would be their best sellers as of now and so are their feature phones, however, like any business, they'll continue to try for expansion. And they will definitely focus on mid range, just possibly not the main flagship range (because hmd doesn't have differentiation or exclusivity).

I don't deny that management issues wouldn't have happened, but as much as I'm sad about Juho's exit, I'm also excited about what's coming next and it's not that bad or let's say - it is better - like a fresh light after 2 years of darkness. Juho just found a good opportunity and moved on (or if conspiracy theories are to be believed, he is pushed out due to bad performance?), but it's not that there's no other talent or brain left in hmd.

The update roadmaps aren't marketing, but they definitely help in keeping the buzz around. I'm sure you can also ascertain that bad update promises hurt them a lot and no sensible company axes their own feet. It is just an example of promising something without fully evaluating it and then failing to deliver it when the time comes. If we look at Micromax, it is facing a similar problem here. Probably the COVID's 2nd wave made some schedules go off the track because it hurts a lot of areas - sales, revenue, productivity, development.

I have 0 clue about when the updates will come, but nothing that you or I can do about it. You can definitely sell off your device if the 0 new features in Android 11 are really making you miss it 😅 I mean, yes the update is not delivered, but then Google didn't even bring anything worth being excited about. It is just a number increment and chat bubbles. I'm looking forward to Android 12 - that's where things appear to be taking a new turn. You'll just lose a considerable monetary value when you sell the device. I'll leave the decision on you since the pocket is yours.

• starquake starquake
    ✭✭  /  edited July 14

I mean If hmd global come out and just clarify the situation regarding the delays, even that should have okay for most of the customers. But the sad part is; they have been denying doing that as well hitherto, and that is what anger the customers the most.

• Lawrence JB Lawrence JB
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Whatever I've said is correct, whether you believe it or not.

Nokia 5.3 has so many bugs which never got any fix, so it's better to sell the product rather than use and get frustrated. A11 is not my main problem with the device because I know the changes are bare minimal.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

How can it be when there are G and X series here with the XR coming on 27th? How can we say that the C series is what they are focusing on? There are more devices combined in the G and X series than in the C-series.