[#Campfire] Feedback Friday #5: How did you break your phone?

Hello everyone, Welcome to Feedback Friday Poll #5. Last week you told us Nokia phones should be beautifully designed and durable to a high degree.

[#Campfire] Feedback Friday #5: How did you break your phone?

dipankar paul dipankar paul
Staff member  / 

Hello everyone,

Welcome to Feedback Friday Poll #5.

Last week you told us Nokia phones should be beautifully designed and durable to a high degree.

We think durability is as much about surviving day-to-day life as lasting three years. And we all know accidents can happen.

To help us work out how to create the most durable phone, tell us about your worst experience breaking your phone.

Select one of the options below.

Tell us more in the comments about what happened, and stand a chance to be selected for our next Campfire!

[#Campfire] Feedback Friday #5: How did you break your phone? 52 votes

Destroyed the back cover
1%
Kartik Gada 1 vote
Broke the screen
48%
singhnskpraveenpAKSHAYSASameer.RajendraErick1973nilesh520ShubhamPatil822krishnasnapshotsgipoYogiAgsjarnos111pushp kumarphcr809Ashish HunkeriOgar parmarMuviFedyaGGunathilakaGowtham RViggo Nord 25 votes
Dropped it in water
7%
sahil jyanihrithik roshan purbaNokia user06Nokia_Connecting_Cats 4 votes
Accidently melted it
3%
ehasan sabri6غفع ااعل 2 votes
Something else – you tell us!
38%
BeVenkateshSDPpetrusLawssnokianchetanRajatParasharichiraggohilamal ジョーAndycool024thanoofnainaChetanssoninikhilkunwar0904Bharath KBKiran RodriguessumankumariLawrence JBRajansnapsAhterixxRoobaroonerdynerd247 20 votes

Comments

• thanoofnaina thanoofnaina
    ✭✭✭  / 

The back cover and the side panel get the damage easily, but now almost every phone comes with a camera bump. For every fall it took up some of the impacts and sometimes ends up with a crack. I prefer to have some materials other than glass, to replace the area other than the camera module in the bump.

And these damages become more of a headache when it comes to repairing. For replacing one part, we are forced to change the nearby parts. We can understand that it is to avoid further problems. But these unwanted replacements can be avoided by making the devices friendly for repairing. Using fewer adhesives and relying on simpler alternatives to bind the parts together could be a good choice to make the devices easy to disassemble. And do the necessary replacement only.

• Good evening. Before buying a Nokia 2.2 phone, I used the LG D 724 phone for a long time, today in our country it costs 10-15 US. So in this phone, while I was using it at least 5 times, the screen broke and each time its replacement cost me the same as the cost of the phone. But it was dear to me as a gift, and therefore I repaired it. And now I use this phone as an additional one and the screen has recently cracked on it. I decided not to repair it anymore because the screen is in this model, a weak point !!!

• Lawss Lawss
    ✭✭✭  /  edited July 9

Luckily for me, up until now none of the Nokia phones I've owned (whether it be Nokia 5, 6, 6.1, 7.1 or 5.3) have broken from my hands.

Only Nokia 6 had fallen some 4-5 times, but with minor scratches on the screen and dent on the body. Other than that it's perfectly fine. My Nokia 7.1 is still been used very carefully ( but it had glass sandwich design which I never was a fan of) that people think that it's a newly bought phone.

Durability is well known characteristics of Nokia phone which still continues, but am not so happy with the quality of the plastic back used on the recent phone nor lack of gorilla glass protection, especially on the Nokia 5.4. Please, this trend needs to be stopped. Every phone needs to have extra protection, so that we can use it peacefully for longer time.

• amal ジョー amal ジョー
    ✭✭✭  / 

Never broken a phone so far. only thing maybe volume button breaking and falling off. I hope companies use metal buttons even for phones with plastic frame. 😅

• MdSadique MdSadique
    ✭✭✭  / 

Earlier I had Motorola moto c plus . I used it for long and it was fine until one day i dropped it from edge corner and that that directly affected the frame (plastic) and the screen got cracks from edge near that frame . Although I had tempered glass applied it wasn't edge to edge and coincidentally phone didn't fall flat but at a specific angle where it was out of tempered glass' reach

• Chetanssoni Chetanssoni
    ✭✭✭  / 

I am Nokia Lover always and forever. It's always close to my heart so that I handle them with very carefully. I have many Nokia Phones Like Nokia N73,5.1Plus, 6.1Plus, 8.1, N8 and 5.3 (Which I won in competition in Macro Challenge). I never dropped any of my nokia phones, infact I use screen protector as well as back cover for all my phones.

Yes once Water damage happens with my Nokia 8.1 when i am doing photography and it's rainy season but feeling luckily phones survived in that condition and it's working fine after complete dry. 

#TrulyNokiaLover #AlwaysNokiaFan

• user123 user123
    ✭✭✭  / 

Its been 3+ years HMD is producing Nokia devices but No Recovery Tool and Bootloader Unlock.

Looking for those two features.

• Bharath KB Bharath KB
    ✭✭✭  / 

I am using Nokia 5.1 plus brought way back in May 2019 , as it featured an glass sandwich design, I use it with atmost care with a flip cover and a normal half screen tempered glass that costs about 180.Rs . I have dropped it three times untill now with heights varying from 1 to 3½ feet , in which nothing had happened with the device even there is no minute scratches were noted in the protective glass at the time of fall. I never changed the tempered glass even once and it never cracked and also protected the glass from scratches on the display.

In short

Durable+Care+Maintenance= Long and ever lasting Mobile phone. And atlast it won't bite your money pocket/Wallet.

Thank you.

(Why there is no new participant announcement for the successive camp fire friday. Is there any reason?)

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  /  edited July 12
    Broke the screen

I've not broken my phones in a while (except the back glass on a few.. Which doesn't hurt much), however, my worst experience was when I broke the display of my device (wasn't a Nokia though).

1. Took a phone call.
    2. Directed my phone towards my pocket and released it off my hand.
    3. There comes the crashing sound as the phone hits the concrete and as soon as I picked it up, the display was gone, even with a screen protector applied and the device being in a case (that's when I decided hard cases aren't for me). Apparently it didn't get into my pocket and it was too late before I realized 🥺

Fortunately, I had paid a small price for insurance and after a mandatory deductible of another 1000 INR, my phone was repaired with a brand new display and it happily lived after that :)

So, that.. Breaking the back glass is more common for me though. And even though that glass on the back feels good (and premium-ish), I'm of the opinion that it is un-needed (especially without its usable perks like support for wireless charging). That's just another glass to worry about when the phone falls. Anyways, I still pay for good quality cases (I miss some well designed durable cases that Nokia Mobile doesn't want to make and when it makes, doesn't want to sell), skins and screen protectors. But sometimes I just want to use the phone in its raw state and that's when I end up in a state of regret after damaging my device 😂

BTW, is this a teaser that Phantom Reporter is incoming 🤭?

---

Another thing, I've seen more number of phones across brands which die due to failure in critical components (like the emmc/UFS chip or modem or some IC requiring a swap of mainboard which is pricey) than those that die due to physical damage. So, I think using high quality internal components would be another very important durability factor even though it won't be visible from the outside.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 
    Broke the screen

@Bharath KB As much as I can recall, they said that "sending devices" will be on a month-by-month basis and hence it should be happening once a month.

• krishnasnapshots krishnasnapshots
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Broke the screen

I handle my phone very carefully like, not even let it scratch but there's one incident that happened with me which actually broke the face of my mom's smartphone phone.

I was making tea and the Stainless Steel Pincer was kept on the kitchen worktop and my mom was sitting just beneath but slightly away from me. While playing an action game, my brother shouted, and the moment when I was about to leave to see what happened, the unconscious movement of my hand resulted in the vertical falling of that Kitchen Stainless Steel Pincer directly on the smartphone display where the smartphone was kept just beneath the worktop by my mom after taking a call. It literally not only broke the screen guard but also the display. That was a horrible incident that happened to me.

From this experience, I felt the smartphone display should be made durable and tough to break because they're the face of the smartphone. Here I suggest making smartphones like Nokia 800 Tough, Ulefone Armor 11T 5G which is certified to MIL-STD-810G and IP68/IP69K for dust proofing and immersion in water up to 1.5 meters deep for up to 30 minutes which can resist dust, vibration, extreme temperature(-20C to 60C), 24hr 1M concrete deep, 1.2m high drop shock. All these features of a smartphone will allow a user to use the phone beyond carelessness with the feeling of being normal which could be used in Underwater photography, as an action cam for mountain bikers, useful for old age people. Bringing phones like this will create a point of difference from the competition which is running only behind saturated specs.

• nerdynerd247 nerdynerd247
    ✭✭  /  edited July 13

Tried to install cyanogen mod on it and bricked it, I also once accidentally put a galaxy s6 into download mode and had no idea how to fix that.

Suggestion: A phone with a sustainable wooden back panel that looks cool? But replant 2 trees for every tree one that you cut down and save the planet. Cause that's cool 😎

• Bharath KB Bharath KB
    ✭✭✭  / 

Thanks Buddy for the info ☺️

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 
    Broke the screen

Okay, Phantom Reporter is definitely coming!

Rugged & durable!

• nokianchetan nokianchetan
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Rugged like Nokia 800 Tough ? 😀

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 
    Broke the screen

Yes, XR20 codenamed phr or Phantom Reporter (if my calculations are right) :D

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 
    Broke the screen

All signs point in that direction only 🥰

• Ashish Hunkeri Ashish Hunkeri
    Super User  / 
    Broke the screen

Nokia phones are very durable as per my personal experience. From nokia 2626, Nokia 5233, Lumia 525, Lumia 630 to Nokia 6.1 plus I never got disappointed with any kind of hardware damage. But in January 2021 my Nokia 6.1 + dropped from my hand when I was sitting on floor only. With dropping from height 1-2 feets only my screen glass panel fully broken. I called customer care they quoted 4k. Touch and display working fine but screen is broken and just for that I don't wish to spend 4k and resell value of phone is 3.5 to 5k only.

• RajatParashari RajatParashari
    ✭✭✭  / 

I have always used the Nokia phone. My phone has dropped many times but always use a back cover and screen protection glass plus Nokia build quality, both things together have very little chance of breaking my phone. luckily my phone has Never broken.

• Roobaroo Roobaroo
    ✭✭  /  edited July 16

Luckily, my actions have not really damaged any of my or my parents' phones to such an extent that they stopped working :)

It is surprising since I do not use a case for my phone. Also, it's not that I've never dropped my phone, but my phone with an aluminium cladding has survived such wraths against gravity and is still going strong with minor scratches at the back for almost four years now.

However, there are a few incidents with some of our old family phones. One of the phones plummeted very severely to the floor. It had a removable back cover, so it is pretty evident that the battery and cover got separated from the phone when it fell. It also resulted in a cracked display. Sadly, the drop seemed to have damaged the phone internally as it did not switch on afterward.

Then there was this incident when another phone started malfunctioning, and eventually, some portion of the display became unresponsive after it got exposed to rain.

I firmly believe that a phone is always good to go with if it is tested against accidental drops, possibly the best if it is from the shoulder height, and its internal components do not get damaged in such situations. With that said, the phones can also go kaput due to malfunctioning of internal parts. So, it is not always about the durability of the external body.

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 
    Destroyed the back cover

I have never had broken displays on any of my phones but I did damage the back panel of my Lumia 1320 due to multiple. The back panel on my Lumia 1320 has broken from 2 corners due to the impact. Since then I have always bought a case for all my phones but then that stops me from flaunting the phone's design and beauty. If the phone's exterior can somehow be made stronger and such that it does not break then I would once again have confidence in using a phone without a case which would be a lot more fun.

Also, removable back panels can help as it allows users to swap the damaged panel with a new one and the company can also choose to offer replacement back panels made from different materials. So, it also depends on the design of the phone and how easy it is to replace the damaged back panel or any physical part. The removable back cover should be designed in such a way that it wraps around the frame of the phone becoming an external frame that also includes power and volume buttons embedded. Similar to some Lumias that had removable back panels and the original Nokia X series.

Internal component damage is another important problem and is much worse when it hits. It should be made sure that the phone comes with high-quality components and proper testing and doesn't fail in the long run. I don't want to see phones dying due to EMMC/UFS failure, charging port giving problems or some other internal damage to the mainboard or any other parts in a few months of usage due to accidental falls.

• Gowtham R Gowtham R
    ✭✭  / 
    Broke the screen

I am having nokia 5.3 . Recently i dropped mobile with just 1 inch height. Even the display not hit stones. But display fully damaged. There is no gorilla glass protection.. they user very worst type of glass. So nokia is no more durable mobile manufacturer.

This discussion has been closed.