[Feedback Friday] Teaser #1 - Why do you use a case?

Hello everyone, Welcome to Feedback Friday.

[Feedback Friday] Teaser #1 - Why do you use a case?

dipankar paul dipankar paul
Staff member  / 

Hello everyone,

Welcome to Feedback Friday.

Linked to all the comments and inputs you've been sharing with us over the past few weeks, we're going to be announcing something we’re really excited about soon.

Let us ask you a few final questions to gauge a few things...

What is the most important reason you currently use a case?

Please select one option from the list below.

Tell us in the comments the thinking behind your choice, and stand a chance to be selected for our next Campfire!

[Feedback Friday] Teaser #1 - Why do you use a case? 67 votes

Protection from drops - for the screen and/or back
77%
singhnskSDPKhalidShaikh5379petrusnitinkachareLawssakbrianAKSHAYSAKartik GadaSameer.Rajendranokianchetanandigruber02RajatParasharinilesh520chiraggohilShubhamPatil822krishnasnapshotsAndycool024gipoAhmad93 52 votes
Utility – e.g., additional storage or pockets for cards
1%
I like Xbox kid 1 vote
Multimedia purposes – e.g., a stand for watching videos or gaming
2%
Troy ClevelandPo11da 2 votes
Ergonomics - for better hand feel and grip
11%
BeVenkateshjeffianFMpraveenpuser1535905019879Sourav Satvayaamal ジョーIsaac MtzGunathilaka 8 votes
Style – because it looks cool!
1%
Kosi 1 vote
Other - you tell us
4%
thanoofnainaArnab GautamMakay Chapulets 3 votes

Comments

• RajatParashari RajatParashari
    ✭✭✭  /  edited July 16

I always use the back cover/case for the protection of my phone but I don't like the back cover/case because it hides the design and colour of the phone and that's why I use only a transparent cover/case.

• chiraggohil chiraggohil
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited July 16

I always use back cover for to protect from accidental fall, and to protect camera bump from scratch or and to protect camera lens glass damages, and also keep my phone looks beautiful without any wear and tear or scratches. I use Transparent back cover so phones actual design, colors is visible 😍

• praveenp praveenp
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

However, I am always extra cautious about my smartphones and try to never mis-handle them. But I use a case for a better in-hand feel and grip because I think I might drop the phone if using it without a case😅.

Also, my hands sweat a lot, and so they leave ugly marks on the phone's body. So to prevent these marks, using a case is the best option.

• Protection from drops - for the screen and/or back

Only having bought a Nokia phone, I bought myself a cover for a book. I have a problem, the phone crashes very often !!! The book cover has saved my Nokia from falls more than once. So whoever has a problem with phone drops, I recommend. Reliable protection!!!

• Lawss Lawss
    ✭✭✭  /  edited July 16

The main purpose is to protect the phone from accidental drops, if it's slippery and also to protect the screen.

I prefer flip covers for that extra protection of the screen, but mostly end up in using only a back case🙂

• amal ジョー amal ジョー
    ✭✭✭  / 

I use case only for getting good grip and in hand feel. Won't even use a case if the phone has matte finish. I like super-thin matte finish/ rubberized hard cases. Not a fan of soft silicon cases. Phones now a days are already big, heavy and fairly. I cannot even think of slapping a bumper case over it for protection. 😐️ Really uncomfortable holding them or putting them in pocket. And it even makes the bezels look huge.

Even if I use a rugged case, I can still break the front or rear glass...we can never be sure. 😅 So, I prefer taking the risk of getting the phone damaged for better ergonomics.

• Bharath KB Bharath KB
    ✭✭✭  / 

My vote is for the protection from drops. I have been using a flip case that has a dual purpose not only protecting the back and front glass but also helpful in for multimedia purposes.

But, the most annoying thing is that the flip pad of the case will come off after 7- 8 months of use . So it needs to be changed often but I won't because when it comes off from the case i just stitch it off with a cloth stitching thread so it won't never happen again.

Though i have voted for the protection from drops my fingers lingers to vote for ergonomics but the sole purpose of using the case will most often depends on these options .

So for 27th we can expect a launch with a never need of an case , the device will have an grippy feel , high standard of protection , and finally inbuilt multimedia kickstand that were leaked in the previous year around the camera bump. And what more?

• Makay Chapulets Makay Chapulets
    ✭✭✭  /  edited July 17
    Other - you tell us

I don't use case as it won't allow me have a better feel of my phone. As for accidental drops I'm as careful as I can be and if anything breaks, I only get to repair it of it's compulsory if not, I'll keep managing it like that.

Also I didn't find the kinda case I'll like for my phone.

• nokianchetan nokianchetan
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Same here 🙂

But when I go click some pictures I need better grip so I use rugged covers too

• MdSadique MdSadique
    ✭✭✭  / 

Protection from drops as well as better ergonomics. Most phones nowadays come with glossy finish which i don't like that's why i use case for better grip. Matte finish is great but if it's a glass back with a matte finish i would still need a case. If it's matte durable plastic then case maybe not necessary if the camera lens is strong enough and the camera bump isn't too big

• ShubhamPatil822 ShubhamPatil822
    ✭✭✭  / 

I think the camera is very important, because if the mobile does not have a case, the camera can be damaged, so I think the option from drops - for the screen and / or back, this reason is correct

• pushp kumar pushp kumar
    ✭✭✭  / 

I used the back cover just to protect the my nokia phone from crash and the scretch from the back. Something I used the flip cover to protect the screen too. Because don't know when the unusual things happen in your life.

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 

It's mainly about protection from accidental damage.

Ever since my Nokia Lumia 1320 got damaged from the two corners, I have always bought a case for all my phones along with skins for some devices to keep the back panel free from scratches. I loved to use my yellow Lumia 1320 without a case. It was a different phone from the rest and an easy guess for anyone to recognize what phone I carried and people easily recognized a Nokia Windows Phone. Is that a Nokia Lumia? was a common question I got but it all stopped once the phone went inside a thick Dual Armor Rugged Amzer Case with a kickstand. The phone was no more identifiable and that's one tradeoff to protect the phone from further damage. A beautiful phone had to hide behind a case and the same for every phone thereafter. A Nokia Fan likes to flaunt that Nokia design but cannot due to fear of accidentally damaging the device. If Nokia Mobile can come up with a durable device that doesn't need a case then it will allow the phone owners to use the phone worry-free and also flaunt the design and that powerful Nokia logo.

Below is my Nokia Lumia 1320 covered up in a thick Amzer Dual Armor Rugged case making it hard to identify

I don't buy cases based on ergonomics. Phones nowadays are big and I am fine with adding a bulky case to protect them. I will even buy a thick case if it offers good protection to the phone. Added functionality like a kickstand is useful and I used it a lot with my Lumia 1320. Nowadays, I just rest my phone against an object to make it stand and the grip of the case helps the phone to stay in position. A case also helps in getting a good grip while holding the device. Glass sandwich design is extremely slippery and a good rugged case helps to get a good grip as well as protect the device from damage.

So, phone cases also have these few other perks apart from just protecting a phone from physical damage. But protection from damage is the main priority and I hope the design team at Nokia Mobile can come up with a unique solution so that people can use a phone freely without a need for a case. Below is my idea for normal phones.

For phones with normal design, back panels can be made like that of the Lumia 1320 above which acts like a cacoon, and the phone sits inside it. Nokia Mobile can ship the phone without the exterior shell/back panel and buyers can choose their first (free polycarbonate shell) OR a back panel from a number of options made from different materials like Polycarbonate, Aluminum, Wood, etc. Users can also replace the back panel with a new one whenever it gets damaged or if they feel like upgrading to a panel made from premium materials. 😉

• akbrian akbrian
    ✭✭  /  edited July 22

In my opinion, a good case raises slightly higher than the screen to provide at least some protection from face down drops.

edit to add, a kickstand is a nice feature.

• Roobaroo Roobaroo
    ✭✭  /  edited July 23

Impact protection has to be the factor if I were to use a case for my phone. The reason I am not using a cover is that it takes away the appealing factor and the in-hand feel of the phone. It also has to do with the fact that my four-year-old smartphone has not suffered any screen or body damages during accidental drops, with the exception of some minor scratches. So that confidence keeps my phone going without a case for now.

However, I will most probably use a cover for my next device since today's phones are more prone to external damages. That is also why we have it on one of our recent family phones, and it is solely for protecting it from the wrath of gravity and not for ergonomics.

• amal ジョー amal ジョー
    ✭✭✭  / 

Yeah, that's impossible to identify from the back 😅

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 

Yeah, and it also looks more like the rugged devices with thick body used by people working in specific industries. 😅

• dipankar paul dipankar paul
    Staff member  / 

Here's the next Feedback Friday poll, and this week, it's a bit special.

This week we're telling you the kind of testing we've done on our new phone.

Tell us what you think is the most impressive (or the most weird)!

To answer, click here.

This discussion has been closed.