Ram-eater

The only thing I have found odd so far , apart of the weather app in Chinese , is that the 4 GB of ram have been "eaten" in a few days , I had only 10 percent ram left .

Ram-eater

Lpfz Lpfz
✭✭  / 

The only thing I have found odd so far , apart of the weather app in Chinese , is that the 4 GB of ram have been "eaten" in a few days , I had only 10 percent ram left .

I don't play games and I usually have one or two tasks open at a time.

I have 60 apps on the phone. I have had to reduce the background processes to 4 ( default equals 20 ) now I have 30 - 35 percent of free ram. I hope hmd fixes this even though it's an entry level device this too is weird

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Hi @Lpfz,

Is the phone giving you any specific problems, such as your apps aren't running properly or responding slowly?

I am asking this because the modern systems are better at RAM management and they intelligently use RAM i.e. they will pull items in advance for random access but they'll also clear them if there's another application that asks for allocation of more RAM.

This is one reason why RAM stats are not left for easier and direct access. Google wants the users to not worry about how much RAM is used vs free, instead only enjoy a smooth smartphone experience. In short, what the modern smart systems do is that they attempt to keep most of the regularly accessed data in the RAM so that it loads faster when needed (reading from disk/flash storage is way slower than the RAM), but they also clear up such data if any other app needs more RAM. So, it is doing an optimum use of RAM i.e. instead of keeping it free and idle, it is putting the free RAM to keep your smartphone faster.

Unless the use of RAM is slowing down your smartphone, I'd say that you need not worry and let the AI manage it as per its tuning. The current theory is that RAM kept free and idle is just being wasted. I haven't been disappointed in this matter for years.

• Lpfz Lpfz
    ✭✭  / 

Hi@singhnsk , thank you for your explanation at the use of ram , in neither cases ,; when I have all background processes working or when I use just have 4 , has things gone laggy , actually it is quite smooth , it's not the fastest but I haven't encountered the phone hanging or lagging. The chipset might be a bit old or underpowered but for my standard usage it is fine.

I only notice some slowing down when the camera takes three or more snapshots , then the fotos take to time to process and you can see the message processing photo.

Until now I'm very happy with this phone.