[#Campfire] Feedback Friday #6: Nokia XR20 - How did we do?

Hello everyone, Now that you have seen the announcement of the new Nokia XR20, it’s important to us to hear how you think we’ve done.

[#Campfire] Feedback Friday #6: Nokia XR20 - How did we do?

dipankar paul dipankar paul
Staff member  / 

Hello everyone,

Now that you have seen the announcement of the new Nokia XR20, it’s important to us to hear how you think we’ve done.

Help us understand if we've captured the essence of a Nokia phone and if you like it. Please use the comments to add your thoughts on the phone itself.

Select one of the options below.

Let us know in the comments if your Nokia phone has encountered anything nearly as strange, and stand a chance to be selected for our next Campfire!

[#Campfire] Feedback Friday #6: Nokia XR20 - How did we do? 66 votes

Nailed it – it’s exactly what a Nokia phone should be and I love it
62%
BeVenkateshsinghnskpetruspraveenpKartik GadanokianchetanRajatParasharinilesh520Casimir_LchiraggohilShubhamPatil822amal ジョーsajwazAndycool024thanoofnainaRajath S ShettyPATAMSETTIBockenreijderAhmad93Chetanssoni 41 votes
It's okay – a good step in the right direction, could be better
25%
Sisu Mattnikhil kumar kmadbillyoseni lateefbluetoothskIsaac Mtzuser1538408022965Adebayo ArasiMdSadiqueBharath KBAshish HunkeriKosiOmji SharmaVibhorRnerdynerd247Joseph Seyi TaiwoKate Ollis 17 votes
Not good at all – totally missed the mark
4%
user523Itune IbeGabriel32 3 votes
Other – you tell us
7%
jeffianFMkrishnasnapshotsRoobaroonicymb01Neveen Mena 5 votes

Comments

• praveenp praveenp
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

TBH... In the past few months, after several launches, I was having a doubt that had HMD forgotten about what Nokia is... A synonym of a mobile phone for all the 1st-gen users of mobile phones in the 21st century, much known for the durability and quality.

But yes... This time, I felt really good that Nokia made a come-back with such a great phone like XR20. Definitely an impressive phone justifying the legacy of the brand. However, the price is a bit high (if we look from Indian market perspective), but considering the R&D behind it's development, it seems to be justified enough. After all, good things do come at a cost.

I am actually waiting for some more surprises from Nokia in the near future, especially in the premium segment.

Talking about something strange happening to my Nokia... Yes... It just happened a day before yesterday while parking my bike on the center stand. Since it is a heavy bike, accidentally, the tip of handle touched my pocket having my 7 Plus. Thankfully, it was facing inwards, so no damage to the screen, but only an end-to-end crack on the screen guard because of the pressure on the back side. The pressure applied by the handle bar on my pocket was pretty high enough to break or make a dent... But 7+ survived.

• Bharath KB Bharath KB
    ✭✭✭  /  edited July 30
    It's okay – a good step in the right direction, could be better

Everything about the launch is excellent but a 0.5% dissappointage from the device is the chipset inoculated in this Toughened Rugged Beast. Because technically speaking Nokia XR20 launced with the same specs as same as the Nokia X20 (XR20 -- 48MP primary , 13MP wide angle and an 8MP selfie shooter and on the other hand Nokia X20 -- 64MP primary,8MP wide angle and 2+2 sensors all coupled with the same display and the same soc 480 5G ) this makes the dilemma among the users when they look at the pricing because XR20 will be priced more than X20 rather than the compromise it has faced owing to its military grade testing and the certificate it has acquired due to this more enthusiastic customer goes for the newly launched toughest beast Nokia XR20 and the other users choose the X20 and Keep it trust it and love it with their more care and safe hands .

So what I am coming to say is if the device packed with an newly launched SD 7** 5G series then it would be an really massive hit in the market coupled with really impressive design and an Awesome Rugged Phone that had never happened before.

This note can be acknowledged with the next gen Rugged phones if not you can just skip away the comment.

🌟For now the design language and an awesome looking rugged phone that shows/tells/signifies or whatever it may be is that , who said that Rugged phones look and feel bulkier than normal phones it is past but now that has been changed in fact this has never had happened till July 26th from 27th its Definitely Not.🌟

• Lawrence JB Lawrence JB
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Yeah, it's good to see, Nokia at last coming with a phone which is not only durable but stylish and different from the current lot of generic phones.

This phone actually has everything which I wanted from my next phone.

I am not a big fan of Amoled displays, IPS was ok for me but the lack of Pure display tech is a slight miss here.

All in all a beasty phone for me after my beloved Nokia 6.

• krishnasnapshots krishnasnapshots
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Other – you tell us

The phone is good but offering SD 480 5G, IPS LCD Display with a ton of bezels, a 60Hz refresh rate, only an 8MP front camera, 48MP camera (that too made by binding 12MP means, in reality, it is 12MP), no HDR support, etc. at  470/ ₹41,484 isn't worth at all. This means why someone will buy at such a high price when a lot of good devices offer a lot at this price segment. Stock Android, Security Updates are good but that's not everything. At present, NOKIA should accept that it is not Apple that even if pricing their phones at a high cost and low specs will increase the sales. If XR20 has to do better in the market then it should be offered at €283/ $336 / ₹25,000

• amal ジョー amal ジョー
    ✭✭✭  / 

This phone manages to stand-out among the plethora of smartphones in the market. Definitely a step in the right direction. Not happy with the processor at this price, it even crippled the camera capabilities of X10, X20 and XR20. But I'm not complaining about performance with XR20 as it is clearly meant for something totally different. Expecting more devices with quirky features like this one... And expecting a smaller device in future from Nokia, about the size of 5.1+ or 6.1+.

• amal ジョー amal ジョー
    ✭✭✭  / 

also surprised by 15W wireless charging, quite unexpected 👍️

• nokianchetan nokianchetan
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Absolutely stunning , powerful , rugged indestructible still Premium & Beautiful Nokia XR20

You guys at HMD has done a very good job with this phone, you actually showed the world what Nokia is Known for ,

I am impressed that this phone has MIL-STD - 810H Certification & IP68 ratings , I am happy that this phone comes with Alluminium chasis and has gorilla glass victus on front . I think this is the first phone from HMD comes with double flash and I am absolutely loving this cos this will help to capture stunning low light pictures and portraits 15W wireless charging is cherry on the cake 🙂

I have clicked this photo from the water , there was not option to get this sunset view and after taking 2-3 pictures I accidentally fell in to the water .the phone was gripped tightly in hand but was completed soaked in water , I thought now it will not work properly but the phone was absolutely fine 😃

Nature and Landscape photographers like me come in to these situations very often but only people who use Nokia have no worry about it 🙂🙏

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 

You are comparing the Nokia XR20 to the normal phones out there and that's not correct. Nokia XR20 falls under the Rugged category of smartphones. Such devices from reputed brands come at a high price (You can check Samsung's XCover and compare the specs and price). There's nothing like being Apple here. Nokia Mobile is offering a well-balanced device with extra ruggedness at an extra price with features not easily found on rugged smartphones.

The 8MP must be the full resolution of the front camera while other phones that come with "32MP" sensors produce the same 8MP resolution images using binning. So ultimately, users are just getting an 8MP image. Coming to the display, just because it is an LCD panel doesn't mean it is a bad display. LCDs are one of the best displays and they come in various qualities. LCD displays are always used in areas where the colour accuracy of a display is extremely important. These displays can last long compared to AMOLED/POLED which may show screen burn in a year or two of usage. So, for a rugged smartphone LCD is a perfect choice IMO.

Normal users would just buy the Nokia X10/X20 and it should suffice them but there are some people who opt for or need such rugged devices and that's Nokia Mobile's real target market for the Nokia XR20. For the price of around 25K, Nokia Mobile offers the X10/X20 and people can buy any of the two devices. Someone who likes the Nokia XR20 will go for that device. 🙂

Some might find XR20 as a perfect balance while some may not like it at all. Ultimately, it all boils down to each person and what they want from a phone.

• Ogar parmar Ogar parmar
    ✭✭✭  /  edited July 31

This is really unbelievable! That's really an Ideal Nokia phone in my view.

After seeing the video I was literally shocked at how a phone can be so tough! This is really going to be an game changing point for nokia, as that's what the biggest problem is for smartphone users, as smartphones till now are not as tough as feature phones specially nokia & a user always has a fear of dropping/damaging the phone. And nokia had managed to solve it very impressively 🙌

I am an Mechanical Engineer & i can understand how challenging it is to design such a robust phone & how touch the testing has to be... really hats off to the design & development team Nokia🙌🙌🙌.

Now with this ground breaking technology Nokia has proven its legacy, and given an another robust smartphone like the nokia 3310 feature phone, so finally with the nokia XR20 nokia had moved steps further than other brands and proved its design power and legacy!..

I feel The nokia XR 20 is the Smart3310phone!

Really amazing work done Team NOKIA🙌🙌🙌

✭✭✭✭  / 
    Other – you tell us

But only for Ruggedness, how much you're going to charge extra? and there are a lot of RUGGED smartphones available in the market. Being a NOKIA fan and quality of the product is one side but seeing the reality of the market is also an important side. Every customer doesn't own luxury cars, cruises to buy such overpriced products and that is why NOKIA isn't performing well in markets like India where other brands do quite well because they consider India a lot while launching their products. As you can see why Nokia isn't launching most of its smartphones in India? because they knew that their products wouldn't be able to compete in India like what is the situation of G20 at ₹12,999? And why do every Tech Youtuber trolls Nokia?, it's only because of its overpriced products otherwise Nokia has the potential to do well.

Example: Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3cGG4Xl3Sc from 03:10 to 04:02

And still, if you don't agree let NOKIA launch XR20 in India at a European price. We'll talk after that on the basis of how much sales it is been able to do.

This #Campfire is to provide real feedback through which they can improve if they thought so.

• amal ジョー amal ジョー
    ✭✭✭  /  edited August 1

Launch of G20 was quite weird because it directly competes with 5.4 which I think is a better value. But regarding many other phones, Indian tech youtubers are a bit biased. They directly compare phones based on specifications. They constantly complain about ads, bad build quality and lack of updates but still continue to recommend those phones to everyone based on no of fps that they get in pubg 😐️

Super User  /  edited August 1

It's not just ruggedness and no there are not many rugged smartphones available. The available ones are expensive too and don't offer something that an end consumer would like and get attracted to buy and stay satisfied at the price of the Nokia XR20. I can't afford it but I like the Nokia XR20 for what it is and what it offers and I am sure most consumers would be satisfied with the performance of the device if we go by the spec sheet.

Also coming to expensive products, just because the price is high doesn't mean that these products should not be made as most people cannot buy them. There are people who will buy if they like it or the product suits their needs. India is not the only market where they sell their products and even in India there will be an audience that can afford these phones. Also, there is a normal Nokia X10 and Nokia X20 that costs a lot less than this one so, those interested in normal phones will just go for any one of the two and save some money.

Why do people even watch these YouTubers? Has he even seen the device in real life? Has he even taken it in hand to feel it? All he did was just judge the phone based on the spec sheet which is not the right way. Also, he didn't even have full information about the phone which is clearly visible the moment he said "only comes in 6+128 memory variant". Does he even know that the Nokia XR20 comes with 3 year of long warranty which is unseen on any phone in India? And then that overacting. Clearly shows what he is doing on youtube. 🤣 That's what sells online especially among these YouTubers and their viewers.

Just a spec sheet is not everything and even if one phone offers SD888 at 20k doesn't mean the phone priced at 50K offering the same SD888 is overpriced. Who tells these YouTubers what the right price of a phone should be? These are the same YouTubers who only recommend phones with ads and pre-installed spammy apps with no guarantee of updates and in some other video they will be seen cursing the same brand's phone they recommended for having ads and bloat. But they will always curse the small players and ignore making videos on them because they follow the hype. Money is where the hype is on youtube.

Nokia XR20 may or may not come to India but if it does it surely won't launch at the European pricing just like all other Nokia phones. This is another point that these YouTubers don't consider or maybe it makes their point of making fun more strong so they convert the price directly to INR which obviously will turn into a big amount. About sales, it is all upon Nokia Mobile and how they push this product if it launches in India. 😁

Yes, feedback is important but it is clear that a phone like the Nokia XR20 cannot be offered for 25k INR. 🙂

• chiraggohil chiraggohil
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 1

Nokia XR20 is phone made like Nokia known for from many decade.

Nokia XR20 is comes with 3 year of OS upgrade and 4 year of Monthly security patch update that means if someone buy this phones they can use this phone for minimum 5 - 6 year without any worries because this phone comes with every type of security in its including it's ruggedness so one can save so much of money during this year on spending money to buy new phone again and again.

Highly impressed with its build quality, Toughness and ruggedness 😍

The toughest test by legend Roberto Carlos and Lisa Zimouche was amazing and it's prove that this phone made so much tough 💪

I watched 2 more durability test by 2 random youtubers doing durability test they are performing so high 3rd degree torcher given to phone but surprisingly phone survive in every test 😀😍

As it's rugged phone made with military Standards but phones design was so beautiful and attractive 😍 the camera setup with Zeiss optics looks beautiful as always 💪

I like to do underwater photography with this XR20 which is dream of mine from many years to do Photography and videography in extreme rain in monsoon 😍 to shoot some amazing landscape of nature and time lapse too. Hope I getting chance to explore XR20 in future 😍

Overall it's a great phones including wireless charging 😊 with decent camera, battery, display protection with great design, it's perfect package for and hardcore photographer who can love to extreme level of photography 😍

Just wait for to launch In india at right price 😊

✭✭✭✭  / 
    Other – you tell us

You're right but only from the point of view of a Nokia fan and in that way every smartphone is great 😂🤣. It doesn't make sense to talk more.

Super User  / 
    1. Maybe you didn't read what I wrote OR didn't understand what I was trying to convey.
    2. Exactly these words!!. Someone supports a product and they are called Nokia fans. I'll take it.😉

Peace ✌️

• thanoofnaina thanoofnaina
    ✭✭✭  / 

I personally liked the phone and was something that I expected. And the videos made me like it more.

I can say for sure that Nokia XR20 made an impression on a lot of people, from the response I got as replies to my social media stories. Many were enquiring about the specifications and more details on the phone.

I am eager to know more about those action camera mode, speed wrap, and all. And new SD 480 5G chipset, wireless charging...... Really excited to see the specs.

There might be some criticisms regarding refresh rates and all. I have been searching for a video of Nokia Mobile, explaining why they are not focused on 120hz and all. Actually, I have been searching for that video since this discussion was on. But I couldn't find it. I remember some of the things said in that video, regarding providing only necessary and useful features to the phone and avoiding unwanted things. I totally agree with the statements on that video.

And also the 4-year security updates and 3-year warranty, those two things really fuel up the long run of the phone, for sure.

• Nailed it – it’s exactly what a Nokia phone should be and I love it

I probably would not dare to conduct such experiments on my Nokia 2.2, I think it is not intended for this. The XR20 was very impressive with its resistance to all kinds of harsh impacts. It was with such phones that I associated the Nokia brand, strong and reliable. You are heading in the right direction. I support !!!

• nicymb01 nicymb01
     / 
    Other – you tell us

I would love to comment on the phone,

I ordered the XR20 on Thursday 29th and with your next working day delivery I was expecting it on Friday the 30th.

However, I have been onto customer services for 3 days now and the latest is, "if it is not shipped by tomorrow then contact us again"

The phone looks promising but is it a promise you cannot keep like your next working day delivery.

I have even tried cancelling my order as I will not be home for the next 3 weeks but I am told, "you cannot cancel an order after 1 hour of making it"

Sorry Nokia, I made the order, you took payment from my card, you have failed to meet your own promise.

• Arcturus Archie Arcturus Archie
    ✭✭  / 

Please, make it available in Indonesia.

Will it be available in August as other region?

I already planned it when the rumour started. But since I never knew when it will be released. I'm happy with the 5.4.

But still, really need that XR20.

• jeffianFM jeffianFM
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Other – you tell us

I choose "Other", because I assumed that NOKIA XR20 is only limited to the countries or regions availability.

• jeffianFM jeffianFM
    ✭✭✭  /  edited August 3
    Other – you tell us

I agree with your feedbacks and assumptions, but you forgot to consider if the phone/model is available in Countries/Regions?

The potential hardware is already there, but the big question now is about marketing... Is this available in each local market?

• sajwaz sajwaz
    ✭✭✭  / 

Absoultely "Nailed it – it’s exactly what a Nokia phone should be and I love it"

This being termed as big come back from Nokia. Now the only concern is how soon it will be available in all markets. Specially in India. Because we have seen in the past HMD annouces the phone but available to buy after 6 months. More the delay in availability of the product in the market, excitment is lost and impact the phone sales. Nokia needs more such products with the latest specs and hardware in the market.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

That's certainly a concern. From what I see so far, Gulf, Europe, and the Americas are their initial target. The other countries may get it depending on their supply chain and marketing input.

• user523 user523
    ✭✭  /  edited August 3
    Not good at all – totally missed the mark

Too big phone for me. I'm looking for mid or high end phone, which is a compact phone without narrow screen.

Edit: ads were nice and well done. But the phone is not for me.

• Andycool024 Andycool024
    ✭✭✭  /  edited August 4