Hybrid modular smartphone for longer life

While Nokia has been helping consumers a lot in getting more life out of their phones by providing 2 to 3 OS upgrades, but considering the state of our environment, this is not enough.

Hybrid modular smartphone for longer life

Renoktation Renoktation
✭✭  /  edited August 8

While Nokia has been helping consumers a lot in getting more life out of their phones by providing 2 to 3 OS upgrades, but considering the state of our environment, this is not enough. There is need to modularize some components of phone to allow hardware upgrades.

There are two main components of a smartphone. One is the compute engine that includes motherboard and SOC. Other is the non-compute parts that include display, touch screen, camera modules, battery, microphone, some sensors, speakers, ports such as type C and body of smartphone in general.

Of the two parts, the compute engine has relatively shorter lifespan of around 3 years, while the other part has a relatively longer lifespan of more than 6 years.

Future Nokia phones could partially modularize smartphones so as to allow replacing and upgrading the compute engine having latest SOCs while retaining the other part.

This in addition to providing a longer lifespan to smartphones will also go a long way in saving our environment.

I have suggested many ideas to Nokia in the past, and from my past experience, it seems that they are very rigid in what they want or don't what to do. This is very easy. But battles are won by not doing what is easy, rather by exploring new things that may be difficult, but feels so right. So for once, give this idea a chance. You know this is right!

Comments

• amal ジョー amal ジョー
    ✭✭✭  / 

Exactly like the laptop recently released by Framework. But it'll be very difficult for mobile devices 😅

• TonyP TonyP
     / 

Think they might incorporate supercapacitors to support battery and provide power to flash, real-time clocks, and suchlike?

• Cyberdusker Cyberdusker
    ✭✭  / 

Nokia could totally implement some of the things Fairphone is doing about repairability/upgradeability and fairness of its materials! As a European company that also values the environment and the consumer's best interest, I hope they follow that path at some level.

• Jone Martin Jone Martin
    ✭✭  / 

Now a days, new mobile phone are introduces day by day. Hybrid smartphone, I think no body has an idea about it. Additionally, if you are worried about your locksmith. You can get our Mobile locksmith services in Jacksonville FL.