Homeβ€Ί Phonesβ€Ί Nokia 5.3

Nokia 5.3 Move Apps to SD (Use SD for extra phone storage)

I don't know what is wrong with this phone which makes trouble for me almost everyday πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

Nokia 5.3 Move Apps to SD (Use SD for extra phone storage)

Erfan Siavoshy Erfan Siavoshy
✭✭  /  edited August 19

I don't know what is wrong with this phone which makes trouble for me almost everyday πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

However, I just bought the maximum configuration of Nokia 5.3 that features 6GB of RAM and 64GB for Internal Storage.

According to my previous experience with my Nokia 7.1 I just bought a 64GB MicroSD card too for my Nokia 5.3.

But now when I want to get rid of gigantic 8GB PUBG Mobile by "Move it to SD", this junk phone (Nokia 5.3) doesn't let me to do it by any means.

Here's a screenshot from my Nokia 7.1 :

And here is a screenshot with-in the same menu but from my Nokia 5.3 :

Would you please let me know why you've disabled the #1 options here???? πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘

I've even tried to turn on the " Force allow apps on external " via the Developer Options as you can see below :

But with no luck, and fundamentally the " Format as Internal " option is totally gone as you can see below:

Even though that when you choose " Format " it says this pop-up :

" This SD car needs to be formatted to store APPS, files, and media"

But formatting it won't let you use it to " MOVE APPS " specially.

Just someone from HMD come here and tell my the exact reason why you disable such a good feature like this???

And then tell me what can I do with this gigantic 8GB PUBG Mobile to " Move it to SD " or any other apps on my Nokia 5.3 ?

I need clear answers here, not blah blah πŸ˜’

At least let people know about lack of these features before they buy your junk phones...

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Although I do not like Adoptable storage due to all the various kinds of problems it poses, you can try following a nice guide by @Donkey (linked below)

• Donkey Donkey
    ✭✭  / 

Here is the IOPS bench I tested days ago, more close to to the real world usage then the A1 SD bench.

the IOPS of Nokia 5.3 its own Internal storage

the IOPS of Samsung EVO Plus U3 256GB, as adoptable storage. Even mostly read the data from it, but it IOPS of Random Read only about 1/8 comparing to internal.

Even the fastest Sandisk Extreme Pro A1/A2, I guess it can't run that even better as the phone internal storage. I don't know why, the reader of 5.3 or card itself, & I can find no way to make it faster. It can only go worse while the card keeping wearing. You might try the test on 7.1, but must move AndroBench to the extra phone storage, since it only test where it installed.

This's the performance issue, might cause your worse experience of PUBG.

And the "Force allow apps on external" option in dev mode, personally I STRONGLY reject to enable this option, why? as singhnsk mentioned my another post, it will cause the monthly Google play secure update, & the trichrome library, the component of Chrome & Android System Webview installation failed.

Of course you can dis/re-enable this option every time when the updates fails, but it maybe causes other potential issues, too. So if you can move PUBG or any huge-sized apps to adopted storage inside the app storage setting, please DON'T enable "Force allow apps on external". This issue isn't solved yet on Android 11.

Just migrate internal data to the card, keep the internal storage for those un-movable apps.

The game & apps I moved to adopted storage isn't so "performance-oriented", so I still enjoy this function. Maybe the huge RAM (cache) also improve it.

• Erfan Siavoshy Erfan Siavoshy
    ✭✭  /  edited August 21

Honestly, after reading your post @Donkey which explains how to merge SD card and Internal via ADB tools, now I've decided to stay in my current situation and don't merge them actually πŸ˜‘

I prefer to uninstall some of my games to free some space in my Internal Storage instead of missing up with the speed of whole functions in my phone.

Your last screenshot shows us that after merging, the total speed of merged storage will be downgraded to the speed of SD card, and it's not what I want...

However, that I have a very very expensive SD card which there's no other more expensive SD card in the store πŸ˜… and it's sooooo fast, but still not as fast as my phone's Internal Storage. Maybe because of the SD card reader on Nokia 5.3 actually...

But as a conclusion, I prefer to keep my current "FAST" situation with my lovely Internal Storage which is "FAST" (again πŸ˜…) rather than slowing down all the functions of my phone...

If only the moved apps to SD were affected by low speed, I would do that. But according to your last screenshot it's so clear that the united merged whole storage's speed will be decreased by the low speed of SD card. Which means lowering your Internal Storage speed as low as your SD card for ALL apps and even the whole OS.

The best thing you can do in this case, would be testing.

I mean after merging Internal & SD together, first in place, install a high demanded game (like PUBG) on the virtual Internal Storage (I mean the storage that seems to belong to Internal Storage by using "virtual" word).

Then run the game and note the fps.

In the next step, install the same game on the virtual SD card, then run the game again and note the fps.

If the results were same, so it means that merging Internal & SD by your provided solution (which I really respect your efforts for it) will be lowered the whole storage's speed as low as SD card.

So ALL apps are affected with this low speed, not only those apps which you've moved to SD.

And it's bad, very very bad.

If everything that I stated here are totally wrong, honestly, I even would be happy to hear!

Because if I'm completely wrong, so merging Internal & SD by your solution won't affect the speed of whole apps and even OS, and it will only affect those apps that are moved to SD.

Then I would surly try your great solution which I critically need it now.

✭✭  / 

Thanks dear @singhnsk for not letting me be alone on my own with this issue 🌹

Yes I do agree with you too, as you said, I don't like to miss up with the speed of my whole storage by merging it to a SD card.

But if after merging storages, only the moved to SD apps are affected by low speed, so it'll be acceptable.

The case here which is not acceptable, is that ALL apps and even whole OS would be affected by the low speed of your SD card, not only those that are moved to SD.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Actually, the OS is loaded from /system mount point. So, the OS will not be impacted, nor will be the apps that store their data in /data (i.e. most of the apps). Only those apps that do R/W on internal storage will be affected by this change AFAIK. I'm not fully sure if adoptable storage makes the /data mount to be shifted to the SD card, in which case, nearly all apps will notice a downgrade in performance.

Even then, I do not recommend it since there are also instances where users lost entire data from their SD card when they were mounted as adoptable storage and because all data is encrypted, even recovery programs can't recover any useful bytes.

• Donkey Donkey
    ✭✭  / 

Yes, the merged storage, as the replacement of the phone internal storage, its performance will be very slow.

The test result isn't good, but in common situation, it isn't such bad, depend on how you use the phone & what card you choose. Could you share with us what the SD card you used & the its benchmark, if possible?

If your card is below U3, I can image how horrible it could be. Even some A1 cards is not qualified for that. I ever tried Sandisk Ultra A1, its read is fine but write is horrible slow, below 10MB/s write. A1 cards are qualified only for their IOPS, over 1500 read & 500 write, not for the throughput, however both are important.

https://www.sdcard.org/developers/sd-standard-overview/application-performance-class/

More worse, some manufacturers claim their cards only fit the qualification, under "specified" condition -- normally we can't achieve that. We can't expect such junks play well as "adoptable storage". We can only find the truth by ourselves, as your words, testing & more tests.

What apps inside your phone (not on the card), their performance are affected?

Maybe the choking PUBG in background became the IO bottleneck to other apps even the OS, you might try to stop it forcedly.

I think such "trick" not works well with the action games, such as PUBG πŸ˜…

I will try to study how to use PUBG as bench, to record its FPS.

• Donkey Donkey
    ✭✭  /  edited August 21

I tried to install PUBG & see what would happen.

It did took time to load the stages, or the places switch (from lobby to training mode about 20s), but the storage has been merged, even I tried to move PUBG back to internal, can't felt any improvement of loading -- there must be others data still inside the merged storage, it indicated only 351MB moved to internal.

Since there're other apps on the merged storage, so I gave up to test ran the PUBG on the internal completely, because I will move everything back to the internal to completely un-merge the adoptable storage.

Only tried to play the training mode in PUBG, the FPS is fine to me, I can run, swim & shoot somethings. But I think it's very subjective. Not test in the real pvp mode yet, I'm not good at mobile FPS games, don't know how long I can survive to test it 🀣.

So I tried another test by PCMark (Storage 2.0)

Both values of external read are too high, suppose to be cached speed, worthless as reference.

And the SQLite IOPS, I guess it calculates whole storages as weighted average.

It's all about evaluations & choices, efficiency or money, loss & gain -- spend more money for a faster phone with larger storage or less money for a budget phone with adoptable storage to expand its space. Obviously, we can't have both, saving money & getting a better phone. Depend on what we want. Never expecting adoptable storage will make your phone faster, that isn't its purpose for improvement. It just expands the phone storage, by partial performance exchange.

BTW Erfan, if you run the same card on both 5.3 & 7.1, & it's faster on 7.1, then I guess the bottleneck is on the phone, the card reader or system, not the card itself. After all 5.3 is a truly budget phone, I can image that Nokia (HMD) would try to save its cost for better price, by using worse components πŸ˜‚ Another condition of choices.

✭✭  / 

Your tests and your workarounds really mean to me and I'm serious about it.

I mean I never expected this kind of "Participating" in solving my problem before by other communities.

However, this case is kinda your issue too, not only mine.

But still you're very kind to me with your complete answers to my questions.

After saying "ThanksGiving Day Stuffs" πŸ˜… I want to re-explain the main problem here for you again.

I myself totally know that budget is against productivity and never they come together.

It's so clear that I'm not expecting no loss of speed after merging storages and I know that there's no way to merge storages without experiencing loss of speed.

BUT

I'm issuing a TOTALLY different case here (the usage of the word "totally" is increasing πŸ˜…πŸ˜…)

I know that when you merge storages and then move your apps to SD, those apps will be affected by low speed.

BUT

I think that after merging storages with your solution, even those apps that are not moved to SD will be affected too by low speed.

You know, it's similar to a chemistry law actually.

This law is about the speed of chemical reactions when they're done together to make a chemical process and a matter indeed.

Imagine that we have a reaction A and a reaction B.

Reaction A completes in 40 seconds, and reaction B completes in 30 seconds.

Considering these values, if both of reactions must be happened together to create a matter during a chemical process, the total duration of process is defined by the slower reaction which is 40 seconds, not by the faster reaction.

I know that it's being like a Chemical Class here instead of Nokia community πŸ˜… but when I failed to tell you what I actually meant last time, now I have to bring an example.

Now in our case, SD card is reaction A and Internal Storage is reaction B.

Eventhough that reaction B is faster, but the speed of process depends on the speed of reaction A.

By the other word, your last screenshot, shows us after merging storages together, the speed of Internal Storage will be as low as SD card.

So it means that not only those apps that have been moved to SD, but ALL apps and even whole OS will be affected by low speed of SD card.

If this is the case, so it's really not reasonable to merge storages.

But if after merging, only apps that are moved to SD are affected, then it's reasonable to merge storages.

I think that @singhnsk totally got what I meant and it's visible in his second comment.

I hope you @Donkey get what I mean too and give me answers about your solution of merging storages with my stated issue.

• Donkey Donkey
    ✭✭  / 

I agree @singhnsk, especially "adoptable storage makes the /data mount to be shifted to the SD card, in which case, nearly all apps will notice a downgrade in performance", it's totally correct, since those moved(linked) apps run on the slower card instead.

But in my case, I can't feel too much performance loss, especially after the Android 11 upgrade, the adoptable storage works better than the old day with 10, I must say Nokia did the great job in this part. It always depend on how the apps utilize the storage, the IOPS & throughput. That's why we can't just use any SD card as adoptable storage, it impacts the performance, even more, the reliability & safety of data.

Maybe the life durance of cards isn't such tough, but if anyone looks for more storage to install more apps on budget phone, it could be the last step before buying a new one. The data on "Internal 'Shared' Storage" (according to the definition from Nokia, the mount point of /storage/emulated/0) is also encrypted, if I lose it over there, Nokia or Google will save them for me? Of course not. It regards the "probability" & money, spend the money or take a chance, it isn't very hard decision. To anyone cares about the data loss in encrypted partition, try the mixed mode, it will format an additional unencrypted partition on the card, works as a normal SD card. But periodical backup is more important, no matter where the data is stored.

"By the other word, your last screenshot, shows us after merging storages together, the speed of Internal Storage will be as low as SD card."

It isn't such "precise" statement

1. my last pic, shows only when the A1 SD bench ran on the merged storage, it didn't relate with "internal storage" -- if you mean the /data, as singhnsk mentioned.
    2. If you look for the real effect on the internal, the mount point of /data, the place most apps installed, you should look the pic above the last one. It shows the true internal storage still keep its efficiency. I ran the A1 SD bench over there.
    3. If your "internal storage" means the "internal 'shared' storage", surely it becomes slow, because the merged storage takes its place, it isn't "as low as", it's just right the slow SD card itself. If your apps store data at the mount point "/storage/emulated/0", of course it might become the bottleneck, as I said above, depend on how apps utilize the (merged) storage.

I just ran the PCMark on internal & share the result here, to anyone interests in how the "adoptable storage" impacts the performance of 5.3. You might run your own bench without merged storage then compare with mine, as evaluation.

I think 64GB storage is good enough for common usage. Especially If I try to run a performance-sensitive app on a budget phone, I won't run any un-necessary apps, even install any of them , to decrease performance or cause any potential glitch in the background. In this case, adoptable storage even additional SD card is completely useless & wasted. The SD card is additional device, it also consumes the additional power.

Hardly to image to play PUBG on Nokia 5.3. I ran it for only 10mins, the phone lose power so quickly & become very hot & the info inside My Phone showed me it's over 40C. What a budget phone killer 🀣 But I think it's good idea to play PUBG on 5.3 in winter, could be a nice hands heater πŸ˜…

✭✭  / 

Hi again dear @Donkey

It seems that I could finally tell you what I meant for the first time here πŸ˜‰

Without making it any longer, I think that everything would be so clear if we just compare benchmarks with each other.

And then no chemistry class would be needed afterwards πŸ˜…

However, I just tested my Nokia 5.3 with the same PCMark that you did.

And here, we have a very good comparison which tells us everything.

My Nokia 5.3 have 6GB of RAM and 64GB for Internal Storage, plus another 64GB for MicroSD.

But I haven't merged these two 64GBs storages and my phone is so original without any modifications. I mean that SD card is working separately as an external storage only for my personal files, not for apps (because I'm not able to move apps to SD because of that Nokia 5.3 doesn't provide this feature by default).

So my Nokia 5.3 is not modified by @Donkey 's solution of merging storages.

(I'm clarifying this for new people who might come here and read our comments)

And this is my benchmark results:

When you compare mine with @Donkey 's results (Donkey has merged his Internal & SD together by his own solution) you can see that mine is higher, but just a bit.

His score is 6394 and mine is 6600 which means that merging storages will decrease your phone's performance just by a tiny 3% that is easily neglectable.

Therefor, my conclusion is that merging Internal & SD together really won't make your phone slower. Because 3% is easily neglectable.

But the only case here which remains would be the "Storage Benchmark" section in the PCMark.

I really don't know why @Donkey didn't share the results of "Storage Benchmark" of his modified phone. Especially when our main case here is STORAGE...

However, I share it with you here:

As you can see above, the sequential read speed for Internal is 260MB/s while it's 260MB/s same for my SD card. Also random read speed is same 13MB/s for both. Which means that at least if we talk about read speed only, my SD card is exactly as fast as my Internal Storage.

But when we look at sequential write speed, it's 140MB/s for Internal and 100MB/s for SD card. But for random write speed, both Internal and SD have 14.5MB/s and are just the same.

It's necessary to I mention that almost all the available SD cards in the store can't be as fast as this, so DON'T RELY ON THIS RESULTS FOR YOUR SD.

Mine is an exclusive MicroSD manufactured by Lexar which is actually the most expensive SD that I found on the market. Lexar guarantied this product to act super blazing fast for professional usages. I remember that I could buy a 512GB SD card at this price, but I choose speed rather than volume in this case.

Honestly I don't know what model it is but if you're so curious about it, I can check it for you.

So I strongly recommend you to don't rely on my test and before modifying your phone by merging Internal & SD, first make sure how much fast your SD card is.

Actually my main purpose of sharing these results is my Internal Storage speed which is not modified yet by merging it to SD.

Now if @Donkley do the same and share his Internal storage benchmark results provided by PCMark as I did, then we can decide. If @Donkey 's benchmark results show that there are no any significant differences between the modified phone and non-modified phone (mine) so it's very reasonable to merge storages together, because we're not going to feel loss of speed as much as we thought before...

• Donkey Donkey
    ✭✭  /  edited August 22

Hi Erfan,

I DID share my storage score of PCMARK, the pic clearly showed 10023, didn't?

Your Works 3.0 score is higher than mine, but the Storage 2.0 is lower. I tried to compare all the values, most your values are higher than mine, especially the SQLite IOPS, update & insert is triple! If you did the test with the merged storage & ran PCMark on external, then you have a Great card.

So even your Storage score is lower, I think it must be the system cache effect my read test, then rise up the total score. In fact, your score should be higher than mine.

Back to the real world, if under such condition, you still feel the heavy performance loss, that means adoptable storage doesn't fit your need. As I said, I only tried the training mode in PUBG, & its FPS is acceptable to me.

Without pvp mode test in my person, sorry I can't realize how it impact your pleasure in pvp. So suggest to give up the adoptable storage, I think it's hard to expand the storage meanwhile keep the performance on budget phone like our 5.3. Maybe Nokia can achieve both on 7.1, that's why they keep the option for public on 7.1.

I post both our Storage 2.0 score here from PCMark again, & additional test ran on internal.

Both of your external write (seq. / rnd.) are extremely high, amazing.

Is your card the Sandisk Extreme Pro A1/A2? or Lexar pro serial?

As what I said, both external read must be effected by system cache, don't take them serious. Both my external write are hilariously low.

As reference, it's the result I installed & ran PCMark on internal storage. Partial internal values is similar to yours.

BTW, thank you let me know my is 5.3 so slow πŸ˜‚

• Troy Cleveland Troy Cleveland
    ✭✭  / 

Hi, I noticed that you have airplane mode on dose it do it with it off or is it not working with airplane mode on or off. Can you buy a SD card reader that plugs into your USBC port and take the SD card out your phone and into that and see if that works. Otherwise I'm not sure. Hope it fixes.

✭✭  / 

What the **** is wrong with your Storage Benchmark results???? πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘

1896MB/s for read speed???!!!!! 😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐

Means almost 2GB/s

Someone come here and tell me what the **** is this?!

And it gets more funny when random read speed is 1180MB/s and random write speed is 0.65MB/s 🀣

Honestly and technically, it's so clear that your results are completely unreal for your SD card. And the numbers are resulted by bugs in your app.

But the results of your Internal Storage test are real.

And they show us that your Internal Storage (which is merged to SD) still is as fast as a non-modified phone.

So as a conclusion, the speed of Internal Storage won't get affected after mering it to SD card.

And it's a good news!

Very very good news...

But it's not everything.

Still the issue for me is open.

I think that after merging Internal & SD together, even those apps that are not moved to SD, will be affected by the low speed of SD.

So I should test it myself actually πŸ˜…

But before beginning the procedure of merging Internal & SD, please let me know is there any way to undo this all?!

If there's no way to go back to the previous situation after merging them together, so I'm not interested in messing up with my phone actually.

Please let me know about it dear @Donkey if there's a Ctrl+Z for this all or not...

• Donkey Donkey
    ✭✭  /  edited August 25

Hi Erfan,

The Read value is so abnormally high, usually is effected by the system cache, and those bench tools can't deal with that well. I read some complaint about that, so even there're so many installations in past, but their score isn't such high in store.

"I think that after merging Internal & SD together, even those apps that are not moved to SD, will be affected by the low speed of SD."

In fact, it's NOT really merging Internal & SD "together", the first step "Format as extra phone storage" on 7.1, or the adb shell command on 5.3, just let the phone takes the card as another internal storage, like turning removable drive into fixed drive, No any installed apps will be actively/automatically moved to the merged SD card. Even with the term "merge", but system still treats both storages as isolated. However, if later you install apps with installation attribute to external, those apps could be installed on the merged SD directly, like PUBG.

So yes, those un-moved apps, will work as fast as before, except they need to access huge external data frequently, and Internal Shared Storage where those data exists is also migrated to SD card, there might impact performance. Even those apps on merged SD card, if the card isn't too slow, it almost doesn't causes too significant glitch, such as those productive apps, their throughput aren't such heavy. Games? depends on types.

The second step "Migrate Data" inside merged storage setting, just as the option describes, it's "Migrate Data", it moves/migrates all the data from Internal Shared Storage (where the DCIM / Download / Pictures folders & Android external data exists, the virtual internal SD) to external SD card, it's just changing the link /storage/emulated/0 to SD card, image that you move the Windows desktop folder from Drive C:\Users to Drive D: and create a link by shortcut inside where it ever was.

So the original space for /storage/emulated/0 on device, after the migration's done, would be completely vanished. It would be likely "merged" by /Data, where the apps exists (then you can install more apps on phone). NO existed apps in /Data (the internal) will be automatically "merged with" or "migrated to" SD card, only their external data will. I think "Migrate data" is more close to "merge" literally.

Existed apps can only be moved to "adoptable storage" manually one by one, and not every one, even you enable the option "Force allow apps on external". But IMHO, NEVER recommend to enable that, since you will suffer failure form the Google monthly updates & the component trichrome library updates for Googles' browsers.

And as singhnsk said, it's risky for losing data by (defective) SD cards, so keep most apps on internal, for the safety & performance. The worst condition even the external data would be gone with bad card, most apps could still keep working after SD card's replaced.

I discover that those benchmark tools, mightn't be so accurate -- I did another test on the Samsung SD card in portable storage mode by AndroBench & A1 SD bench, the write speed is extremely low, even like the card's damaged. But later I tested it on PC, it's completely fine.

Seq. Write is below 2MB/s, almost same as Random Write, completely insane.

Same condition by A1 SD bench, too high (over 200 MB/s) or to low (about 20 MB/s) in Seq. Write, even whole test chocked about 80%.

I think you should notice that, there's a warning before first time running AndroBench, claimed it's too old might not work correctly, should have an update, something like this. Even the newer A1 SD bench might also has similar issue.

So, it's obviously, case by case, there're too many varieties. Good or bad, it can be felt by ourselves only, it's very subjective. After all, we use adoptable storage for apps, not for those un-accurate benchmarks.

I did another tests on PC, with a USB 3.0 card reader (controller is GL3224, f/w 1532), by Anvil's Storage Benchmark. This should be the last time to do such tests by following months -- I never thought that data migration is so risky, I almost lost the data during migration, frozen & accessed timeout card went offline couple times. Better to do the migration under safe mode, safer & faster.

The test of Sansumg EVO Plus U3 256GB (MB-MC256HA)

As the reference, Sandisk Extreme Pro U3 32GB (SDSDQXP-032G-G46A, sorry model is typo in pic, got it about 6yrs ago)

Both cards is uncertified for A1 by official, but their IOPS value should meet A1 (over R1500/W500).

I also did the same test on Sandisk U3 card by AndroidBench under adoptable storage mode. Its value's almost identical as Sansumg U3.

According to tests on PC, I think both cards is as good as A1 card, how about their real performance, just as what I said above & your experience, it can be based on my feeling only. There is lack of accurate test tool for adoptable storages, even for portable storages, under Android 11.

Hey @Tory, you won't really want to try to test the card with OTG reader on 5.3. Although it USBC, its protocol is only USB 2.0 in real, it's even slower than the internal reader, that could mislead your mind the card is broken πŸ˜‚

✭✭  / 

Dear @Donkey , you just didn't answer my main question:

Before beginning the procedure of merging Internal & SD, please let me know is there any way to undo this all after merging them?!

If there's no way to go back to the previous situation after merging them together, so I'm not interested in messing up with my phone actually.

Please let me know about itΒ if there's a Ctrl+Z for this all (merging & un-merging) or not...

• Donkey Donkey
    ✭✭  /  edited August 31

1.Merging the card as phone extra storage (adoptable storage) is reversible, however, you WILL LOSE all the data on the card, since system needs to format it into respective file system.

It's easy to convert the storage b-i-directly on 7.1 via setting UI. But on 5.3, it can only format card into portable via setting UI, but into adoptable only via ADB shell command.

So if you need to revert the card to portable, remember to move all apps from adopted card back to internal first. Or you will lose them. You can verify whether there's any app on the card via storage setting UI.

2.If you want more after merging the card, to migrate data from internal to the adopted card, you can do it b-i-directly via setting UI, it's also reversible , as I posted in my thread

But you MUST do both under safe mode, or the procedure might be interrupted accidently, very Highly Possible!

No matter you want to migrate data from internal to card or revert, Please backup all the data under the mount point /storage/emulated/0 first, it's all your personal storage & apps external data (DCIM/Download etc.). No one would take any risk on the data, right?

As singhnsk said, the adopted(merged) card is encrypted, so you can never take the card away from your phone to backup it. You can only backup data online, by USB cable with PC or OTG storages.

Although singhnsk thinks it isn't good to storage data on removable storage, but if the worst condition, the phone might be gone, no one can read the card without unlock the phone.

And choose a decent card for that, if you do running it online, not just for test. As singhnsk said, you might lose your data with removable storage, especially with a notorious card. Make sure the card's genuine.

*Sorry, Nokia don't allow me to type "****"-directly, I must type it in "b-i"-directly.