Phone reboots while hotspot is on

Hi All, wondering if anyone else has had this issue. If the hotspot is on on my Nokia X20, the phone will randomly reboot itself a couple of times a day.

Phone reboots while hotspot is on

Kathryn31 Kathryn31
✭✭  / 

Hi All, wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

If the hotspot is on on my Nokia X20, the phone will randomly reboot itself a couple of times a day. None of the below fixed the issue.

I don't have wifi at home, I use my phone primarily as a wifi hotspot which worked perfectly fine on my Nokia 6.2.

Troubleshooting steps taken: 

- factory reset 

- setting up phone from new without linking a google account

- Update to Android 11 latest version

- soft reboot and start in safe mode

- deleting all unused apps 

- replacing SIM card with a new one

- disabling 5G from the network autoselect options (since I do not have 5g on my mobile contract)

- sending phone to Nokia support (no fault found)

- enabling developer options to turn off tethering hardware acceleration

Comments

• abecedario abecedario
    ✭✭✭  / 

Hi, during the past two months I used the phone in hotspot mode for a long time by connecting it to both a notebook and an Amazon Fire Stick, days and days, hours and hours of connections and tons of gb of data exchanged, it has always been perfect.

Only once immediately after installing the August patches the phone rebooted while I was using tethering, but never did it again.

How is the signal quality of your carrier, is the signal strong or weak, do you use 3G, 4G or 5G connection (the last one probably not)?

In the hotspot setting, are you using 2,4 or 5,0 ghz mode?

• Kathryn31 Kathryn31
    ✭✭  / 

Hiya!

I use 4G connection and the signal is always 3 or 4 bars out of 4.

It's on a 2.4GZ mode, i'll try it on the 5 and see if that helps! What are you using?

It's good to know it's only me, suggests it might be a hardware issue potentially.

• Kathryn31 Kathryn31
    ✭✭  / 

Switching to 5GHZ made no difference sadly :( overnight it was connected to my google home speaker, and i set it to play white noise, and during the night it reset itself.

• abecedario abecedario
    ✭✭✭  / 

I checked in my developer menu, the "hardware acceleration tethering" parameter is set to ON.

Currently I have the AP band set to 5.0 GHz but, thinking about it, I remember having also used it on 2.4 GHz in August because I needed a "less performing signal but with more range", even in that case never gave me any problems.

I would recommend you do a total reset of the phone, but I seem to have understood that you have already tried to do it...

• Kathryn31 Kathryn31
    ✭✭  / 

Correct, I have already done a factory reset, it didn't help.

I'm sending it back to Nokia care next week to see if they can assist.