Can't update the XR20

Every time I go to update the phone I get a message that says "updates are temporarily unavailable.

Can't update the XR20

dom d dom d
✭✭  / 

Every time I go to update the phone I get a message that says "updates are temporarily unavailable. Please try again later "..."last successful update was on September 7th". I've been getting this message since I got the phone a few weeks ago. Stuck on the August Security patch and cannot check for updates. Anyone else seeing this and is there a fix for it? Thanks.

Comments

• dom d dom d
    ✭✭  / 

Tried everything that I could find online...the only thing that worked was a factory reset. After the reset I got the September security update. I just hope that I don't have to do this every month!

• Dr1 Dr1
    ✭✭  / 

same here. Though mine is stuck on July update .. and the update promisses made me buy this phone...

Please put more effort in pushing updates

• dom d dom d
    ✭✭  / 

OK I figured out what the issue was and it's not the phone or Google. It was the sim card. I need a new one. Once I took the Sim out and attempted to update it it worked. Popped the Sim back in and I got the updates are temporarily unavailable message. No Sim again and it checked for updates without issue...so if you get this message try removing the Sim, rebooting and checking for updates before you do a full on factory reset.

• dom d dom d
    ✭✭  /  edited October 2021

Update again. Received the new SIM card from my carrier. Activated and put the new SIM card in and tried to update. Got the "updates are temporarily unavailable" message again. Popped the SIM tray out and it worked fine. So basically when the SIM tray is in I can't check for updates or update my XR20 if there is an update available. When I take the SIM tray out I can with no problem. So weird. Totally baffled by this one. Hopefully nokia can fix whatever the heck is causing this as I don't want to have to pop out the Sim tray every month to update my device.

• Hi Dom D,

Thank you for this thread as I was having the same update problem. I received the same notification every few days. Your trick of taking the sim card out to update worked for me. Please fix this Nokia!

• It's like all HMD/Nokia devices! You always have to buy a new device to get updates! After an 8.1 and 7.2 which received updates at irregular intervals, the 8.1 is now sold. It had software problems with Bluetooth 5 and HMD wouldn't fix it! The 7.2 has not received any security updates for three months in a row for the second time! Yet HMD promises ONE every month! On top of that it hangs on Android 10! It has software problems with the camera, just look here in the forum!

The only sensible thing to do is not to buy devices from HMD/Nokia. It's better for health, device safety, the environment and your wallet. HMD/Nokia cheats and lies without shame!

I have been using a Pixel 5 since the beginning of 2021 without any problems and the person who previously had the 8.1 now has a Pixel 6!

• M2hot2b M2hot2b
    ✭✭  / 

Having same problem XR20 won't update when sim card is in. Tried new sim card at AT&T. They had a hard time registering the IMEI number to the new sim card. Got home and looked at the IEMI number on the box and the IMEI number under About Phone and apparently my phone is missing the last digit of the IMEI number listed in the About Phone section. On chat with phone support and just going around in circles. Already been reassigned a new support person. Not sure if that is good like it's being escalated to someone higher up or starting all over again. They need to send me a new phone because my phone isn't displaying the correct IMEI number and not letting me register the new sim card, won't do update with the sim in place, and it won't give me my warranty info in the MY Device App. This was a half off replacement because Nokia 9 Pureview won't update to windows 11 debacle. Now I'm having problems with the XR20 and haven't had it a month yet. BTW the pictures on the XR20 suck compared to the Nokia 9 Pureview.