Nokia x20 not recognising USB cable as a means of transferring files

I have a new Nokia x20 and the phone won't recognise a USB cable as a means of transferring files when plugged into the computer.

Nokia x20 not recognising USB cable as a means of transferring files

GB2021 GB2021
✭✭  / 

I have a new Nokia x20 and the phone won't recognise a USB cable as a means of transferring files when plugged into the computer. This should (Nokia chat person tells me) come up with the message 'use USB to transfer files? yes no' but all I get is a message about debugging - 'USB debugging connected / tap to turn off debugging'. Turning off debugging makes no difference (not that I understand what all that is about lol) I'm told I need to wait for an upgrade!! NOT GOOD ENOUGH NOKIA!!

Is this something other x20 users have experienced or have I just got a duff phone that I need to return to the supplier??? It's very frustrating.

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  /  edited November 2021

Hi, Nokia support is telling you invalid/outdated wording. Ignore them, please! It never worked like that, except on Android 7 in 2017-18 AFAIK.

Let's talk now.. Is your PC making a USB-connected sound when you connect the phone to the PC? Does a device appear in your "This PC // My Computer // Explorer" which is named Nokia X20, but is empty when you open it? Yes? Very good. We are on the right path. No? You should still see if you get the options listed below:

Once connected to the PC, you should pull down the notifications tray and look at the very end (essentially the last notification at the bottom of the list - scroll down if you have a lot of unread notifications like me) reading "Android system - charging this device via USB" or something on the same lines.

Tap on this notification twice (once to expand it, then again to open more options) and you will get a few options. Here you need to choose "File Transfer" or on some phones, it will say "MTP". Then the phone will enable file transfer mode and you'll see the files in your PC.

Does that help? A like to this comment would be nice. And do remember that you'll need to repeat the same every time you want to use USB Connection for file transfer again in the future.

Didn't help? Then I'll recommend that you try a different USB Cable. I do not believe that there's an issue that needs sorting via an update.

----

USB Debugging is used to allow the PC to communicate to the phone over an ADB connection (Android Developer Bridge). It is a good way to test apps or pull some logs. And if you know the commands, you can also list, pull and push files to the phone or make changes to some device settings via a command-line interface (CLI) using Android SDK Platform Tools. If you don't know what it does, then I'd recommend keeping it off because that can be a loophole for data theft even when the device is locked (if connected to a PC where USB Debugging was previously authorized).