Nokia has admitted its failure with Android updates

In 2017, new smartphones Nokia 8, Nokia 6, Nokia 5 and Nokia 3 appeared on the market, which ran on a clean Android operating system and quickly became popular.

Nokia has admitted its failure with Android updates

Mitra Assi Mitra Assi
✭✭  / 

In 2017, new smartphones Nokia 8, Nokia 6, Nokia 5 and Nokia 3 appeared on the market, which ran on a clean Android operating system and quickly became popular. The company updated its devices to Android 10 faster than most competitors, but the situation changed with the release of Android 11. HMD Global ranked 10th in terms of Android update speed in early 2021, whereas in early 2020 it ranked 4th.

In an interview with Android Authority, HMD Marketing director Stephan Taylor admitted that the company screwed up with Android 11, and also explained why this happened. The main reason was that Nokia did not participate in the Android 11 beta testing program. Participating in the process helps OEMs release Android version updates before the stable version is released. In addition, another obstacle to the rapid release of updates has become an increasing line of smartphones.

When asked

if the company was too keen on expanding the product line, which it eventually had to update, Stefan Taylor said: "To be honest, I think your observation is fair. We haven't had much success with the release of Android 11, but I think we've learned from it."

He added that HMD Global made conclusions and initially participated in the Android 12 beta testing program. The proof is the rapid release of Android 12 for Nokia X20 and Nokia G50.

So yes, I'm disappointed with how we did with Android 11, but I think we'll be back on the front line again.

Stefan Taylor

Comments

• Adrian Neacsu Adrian Neacsu
    ✭✭✭  / 

It can't do anything for the users left with buggy updates and even lack of timely updates. This statement is too little too late. It should have concluded with HMD exit from the mobile market. If you can't do it then give up. Stop lying on the users.

• terminusaquo terminusaquo
    ✭✭✭  /  edited January 9

Well they obviously haven't learned from the Android 11 debacle. They've had Android 12 for the 8.3 5G in beta testing for a while now so where is it?

CoVID may have played a part but considering that the X20 and G50 have Android 12 then it can't have had much of an impact. I'm just worried this will be another 9 Pureview situation where phones will be left out for no reason.

The problem is that HMD have too many phones on the market.

• Mitra Assi Mitra Assi
    ✭✭  / 

The version number of the camera program in Google Play does not correspond to the current one on Nokia 8.3!Nokia 8.3 ,in Google play the hmd global camera program is 97.10.1400.56, the number does not correspond to the current firmware version of Android 11 97.10.1400.24!

• my camera is working good

https://youtu.be/QDKh3gWUg0U

• Vasilis Kos. Vasilis Kos.
    ✭✭✭  / 

Nice. Now all they have to do is admit their overall failure...😎

• Kenton Kenton
    ✭✭  / 

Thanks for sharing this i was really know that failure this was real keep it up.

MyGiftCardSite

• Van Thieu Van Thieu
    ✭✭  / 

Technically, aside from a few cosmetic and functionalities. Android One device's firmware are managed by Google itself, as it's near stock version. Chances are, Nokia is waiting on Google to release the firmware for their phone lineups.