Nokia 6300 4G cannot connect to AT&A voice mail

I went to AT&T store and installed a new SIM on the new Nokia 6300 4G phone. The phone can dial to other phone numbers.

Nokia 6300 4G cannot connect to AT&A voice mail

hsing hsing
✭✭  / 

I went to AT&T store and installed a new SIM on the new Nokia 6300 4G phone. The phone can dial to other phone numbers. But, it cannot connect to AT&T voice mail when holding 1 key. I would get something like "Cannot complete the dial." The screen does show voice mail though. The call log shows it was dialing to 186 or 13. Is there a way to reprogram the dialing number for the voice mail, and what will be AT&T's voice mail number?

Comments

• LarryH LarryH
    ✭✭  / 

Same problem

• March 2, 2022

I'm having this exact same problem....did anyone offer an answer? I'm on AT&T prepaid -- should I call AT&T customer service?

• BTtheEE BTtheEE
     / 

Same problem.

I get a voice response that says: "Your number cannot be completed as dialed. Please check the number and dial again".

Then is says: "Message 2 US 01 LV".

I'm able to dial my own number to get to my provider's voicemail system. So I'm not dead out of the water.

I can't see anything in SETUP or any of the apps that would allow you to configure it.

The idea of pushing and holding the 1 key looks like it's as old as the hills. They probably forgot to put this into the firmware. Looking for an update or something like that. My service provider is clueless.

• BTtheEE BTtheEE
     / 

Googling around, it looks like the "US 01 LV" message is an AT&T message code. They're not my service provider so I'm puzzled why my phone is calling AT&T. I need to know how to reconfigure my phone to dial my service provider's voicemail number instead of (evidently) the AT&T number that's currently being dialed when I push and hold the 1 button.

• BTtheEE BTtheEE
     / 

It turns out the SIM card that's in this phone is an AT&T card. Some of the traffic on the Nokia we site suggests that the service provider needs to send some kind if service message to the phone (or something like that). So it looks like we need to get someone who knows how to do this at our service provider's help desk. That's what I'm going to try next.

• Ashton02 Ashton02
    ✭✭  /  edited March 28

hsing

Did you ever learn how to change the voicemail 186 number?

I have the same problem.

(could find no button or link to create a new post/question.)

• hsingy hsingy
    ✭✭  / 

Nokia says it is AT&T's problem. It seems to me that voice mail number comes with the sim card. AT&T provided us a local numbr for checking voice mails. You may ask your wireless service provider to give you a local number or a 800 number for checking voice mail.

• Ashton02 Ashton02
    ✭✭  /  edited March 28

This doesn't sound promising.

I'm using T-Mobile.

I've been working with cellular handsets/phones since 1989 and this is the first time I've encountered this issue.

• Ashton02 Ashton02
    ✭✭  / 

So I've been working with Nokia tech support.

When you go into the speed dial numbers, the #1 can be seen with 186, but is grayed out (can't be changed). So I assigned my VM access #123 to speed dial position #2.

• Michael H. Michael H.
    ✭✭  /  edited May 18

@Ashton02 - how did you get to the speed dial numbers that you mentioned above?? The User Guide makes no mention of that, plus the 6300 menu doesn't offer any clues, either.

I'm using an MVNO carrier and I receive the same "186" dialed, followed by the "...cannot be completed...." AT&T message.

@@BTtheEE Just because holding the number "1" has been used to dial voicemail since the beginning of the cell revolution, does NOT mean it is obsolete. My newer smart phone still uses that set-up!