Strange warranty terms for software!

Hi all, I was checking the warranty page for another forum-goer and decided to read the terms of the warranty for Nokia phones in Europe.

Strange warranty terms for software!

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭  / 

Hi all,

I was checking the warranty page for another forum-goer and decided to read the terms of the warranty for Nokia phones in Europe. There is a paragraph about software, "hidden" in the section about what is covered, which seems to describe that HMD do not guarantee that the software supplied with the phone will be error free and not crash! There is another sentence which says that HMD will provide the latest version of the software for reinstallation, which they currently do not do:

• "Manufacturer does not warrant that software preinstalled by or on behalf
    of Manufacturer in the Product (or subsequent updates and upgrades)
    (together “Manufacturer software”)
    will meet your requirements, work in
    combination with any hardware or software not provided by Manufacturer,
    is uninterrupted or error free or that errors are correctable or will be
    corrected. For Manufacturer software related errors, Manufacturer will
    make available the latest version of the Manufacturer software for
    reinstallation on your Product or, if that would not be possible,
    another remedy, which in Manufacturer’s reasonable discretion,
    satisfactorily addresses the error.
    Some Manufacturer software may be
    subject to separate license terms that are available with the software."

@Laura, some clarification on this would be welcome, because if I am right then this means that HMD are 1) not complying with the terms of the warranty by not providing the software for reinstallation and 2) don't care if the software has bugs anyway!

Cheers (I hope) :)

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭  / 

I note that the "terms" for unlocking the bootloader say that the warranty is void if the bootloader is unlocked. This depends on the country in which the phone was bought, so I suggest people check local laws before unlocking the bootloader to make sure they understand what the consequences may be.