Proximity sensor not working

My Nokia 6 proximity sensor has stopped working and is causing trouble during calls as screen won't turn off

Proximity sensor not working

gokul427 gokul427
✭✭  /  edited November 2018
My Nokia 6 proximity sensor has stopped working and is causing trouble during calls as screen won't turn off

Comments

• Any option to enable Proximity sensor from the device ??

• user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

There are no settings to enable or adjust the proximity sensor.

- Did you add a screen protector or a cover that may interfere with the proximity sensor?

• gokul427 gokul427
    ✭✭  / 
    Nokia customer care people asked me to follow few steps,it's working now :)
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I'm curious - which steps worked for you?

• gokul427 gokul427
    ✭✭  /  edited November 2018
    Step 1:Please try to force restart device by pressing volume up key and power key for 20 second.
    Step 2:Please perform Service test of touch by dialling star hash star hash 372733 hash star hash star.
    You will get too many service test option select PROXIMITY TEST and check whether its working fine or not.
    Step 3:Please Use device on safe mode for 2-3 hour-
    To activate and deactivate safe mode kindly follow below mention steps:
    -:Press and Hold Power Key Button.
    -:Then Press and Hold Power Off Option which will appear on display.
    -:You will get Pop up REBOOT TO SAFE MODE>>Then Press Ok.
    -:Device Will restart automatically then it will start in SAFE MODE.
    -:RESTART DEVICE to come out from SAFE MODE.
    Step 4:Try to perform Factory Data Reset (After taking proper backup of all important data)
    ......for me it worked after doing step 1 itself......
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Thank you!

The troubleshooting steps may also help solve other problems.

• And for me it worked after doing soft reset  (volume UP + power key).

My phone is Nokia 5

• thank you @gokul427

• It's worked for my 6.1 plus after soft start.
    Thanks
  • Pawans Pawans
     / 
    Hello Guys 
    Try this
    Got to phone(Calling icon)--> Settings-->(Three dots on top right corner)-->calling accounts-->and enable the last option (never sleep in speaker mode)
    Hope this will fix the issue
    Cheers.

Regards 
    Pawan Sathe
  • Zack Gakuo Zack Gakuo
    ✭✭  / 
    A restart worked for my phone
  • munnasharma munnasharma
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Yes restart solved my problem also but only for 2-3 days, again problem started.
  • When i press the call button while someone the screen turn black and wont run on till the call end or i relock the phone. i am using nokia 8.1 and its on android 9/androidone its happen once or twice a day.It's happen just in the night time.pls fix the problem...
  • planetoidx planetoidx
    ✭✭✭  / 
    When i press the call button while someone the screen turn black and wont run on till the call end or i relock the phone. i am using nokia 8.1 and its on android 9/androidone its happen once or twice a day.It's happen just in the night time.pls fix the problem...

There is a sensor called Proximity sensor comprised of an infrared LED and an IR light detector in every smartphones. A proximity sensor detects how close the phone is to an outside object, such as your ear. This sensing is done to reduce display power consumption while you're on a call by turning off the LCD backlight. 

So when at night/dark room this sensor won't be able to make out whether it's close to your ear or not due to the darkness and due to darkness it automatically considers that the device is close to your ear and turns off the screen.

Hope it helps.
  • simi simi
    ✭✭  / 
    U can simply flash it witj Oreo firmware...
    Watch this video it works 4 me 
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/gokul427">gokul427</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Step 1:Please try to force restart device by pressing volume up key and power key for 20 second.
    Step 2:Please perform Service test of touch by dialling star hash star hash 372733 hash star hash star.
    You will get too many service test option select PROXIMITY TEST and check whether its working fine or not.
    Step 3:Please Use device on safe mode for 2-3 hour-
    To activate and deactivate safe mode kindly follow below mention steps:
    -:Press and Hold Power Key Button.
    -:Then Press and Hold Power Off Option which will appear on display.
    -:You will get Pop up REBOOT TO SAFE MODE>>Then Press Ok.
    -:Device Will restart automatically then it will start in SAFE MODE.
    -:RESTART DEVICE to come out from SAFE MODE.
    Step 4:Try to perform Factory Data Reset (After taking proper backup of all important data)
    ......for me it worked after doing step 1 itself......</div>
    </blockquote>
    Thanks it's really working....
    My problem is solved after first step only
  • Code for testing is not working,my phone is nokia 6 TA 1024
  • Shirish S Shirish S
     / 
    I also faced this problem, just shutdown and start the phone back.
    Android P update seems to have introduced this.
  • Kell2 Kell2
    ✭✭  /  edited June 2019
    just having same problem here. Proximity sensor does not work on my nokia 3.2 which I just bought. please what can I do? Call screen cannot go off during calls. 
  • manoj1 manoj1
    ✭✭  / 

I had the same issue, Just remove any plastic transparent protector from the Screen - Then this issue will be solved - Try it....it works. Now the issue is no more. 

• suran suran
     /  edited October 2020

unfortunately this didn't work for me. I mean ya it's works in first step but after a few calls it all the same again.

I really need someone to help me with this, please.🙏

My phone is Nokia 1.

I even did a factory reset, didn't work out for me.

• Bob Walker Bob Walker
     / 

Just tried tapping the top of the phone while mid call and it seems to work turning the screen on and off.

• I use Nokia 7.2 and now I have been facing the proximity sensor problem...tried all the solutions but did not work...now I regret purchasing this phone ...please help ....