Feature request - notifications from other sources in Glance

Hello ! I would like to see notifications from other sources (Whatsapp, Viber, other mail apps, etc.) on Glance.

Feature request - notifications from other sources in Glance

Matta Matta
 /  edited October 28

Hello !

I would like to see notifications from other sources (Whatsapp, Viber, other mail apps, etc.) on Glance. At the moment, when we see notifications only from default sources (calls, default mail, SMS) Glance feature is not so useful.

Thank you in advance !

Comments

• Guru Guru
     /  edited February 7

Agree, we should be able to add sources. In Lumia, Lockscreen had 5 slots. Any app added in those slots, the notification used to show up in the Glance screen. Need similar functionality here.

• Agree
  • weatherman weatherman
     /  edited November 2017

I agree.  I would like
    to be able to see calendar notifications and have them permanently visible as
    per my old Lumia 950 or Samsung.  It
    would also be helpful to be able to change the size of the existing
    notifications from a useless dot to something I can actually see with my 52
    year old eyes!

•  I agree!

• user1510478408741 user1510478408741
     /  edited March 25
    Definitely. Before my purchase I saw the lack of a notification LED, which I was fine with when I saw the Glance screen. Little did I know it doesn't support WhatsApp, which is the most used messaging app for me (and probably in my whole country).
    Hope we can get someone from the Nokia team to look into this.
  • Agree with it.

• Rene Rene
     / 
    Agree. Would be very useful. Pretty useless now. Especially with a missing led notification
  • Megado Megado
     / 

+Add Navigation keys show like led in others brands. Like sms for green, mail white etc.

• Simo Simo
     / 
    Agree, this otherwise useful feature is rendered pointless by the lack of integration
  • Also agree. Had I known this before purchase I'd not have bothered. In fact there are enough things annoying me about this phone that I would return it if the 14 day exchange period at Carphone Warehouse hadn't already passed. Even this community support forum looks a bit like HMD can't be bothered making things work (why the **** am I 'user1509978997744' and not a name I choose? Where is the link to be able to do that? This forum looks like it was created 10 years ago and forgotten about. And forums. Who the **** uses them nowadays anyway?). To be honest, Glance is rubbish anyway and a notification LED would have been easier and more useful. I'm also finding that their supposedly almost pure Android doesn't work very well with the Fitbit app and a whole host of other little niggles. Even worse, my sister has bought one one because I did, even though I suggested she buy a Pixel 2. Beginning to wish I'd bought the Pixel 2 now, even with the lack of headphone socket and other annoyances.

What can Nokia do? Give us actual, pure Android. Forget the bullshit 'bothie' rubbish - no one cares anyway. Yes, they have tinkered with it very little but why bother at all? Make a decent handset with good specs at a sensible price point and give us pure, unadulterated Android (which is what I thought it was supposed to be), and people will flock to it. Most people hate the stupid vendor overlays that clag up most phones. I don't want pointless 'features' to distinguish a phone from another - it's a phone for christ's sake. I had high hopes for HMD and the revival of the Nokia brand. Won't be bothering again. In fact once my sim deal is up i might just sell that damn things and go back to taking a contract on something better.

• Simo Simo
     / 
    I do not understand your complaint. I have both pixel 2 and Nokia 8 and I hardly can tell the difference in both the is and the speed, except for the obvious differences like Oreo not still there (the official update) and the camera app and any pixel exclusive features. But I like the ability to plug in any headphones and the expandable storage. So You would change annoyances for other annoyances... they have just added a couple of features that mostly are the glance and the camera app and nothing else. In all of android world this is what comes closer to android stock as possible. I like what they are doing here, the phone is also very well built and as the first attempt for Nokia under hmd is a very well refined one. Until now I have also experienced no bug whatsoever (I am with nougat), apps work well, everything is as snappy as it can be. And do not think the pixel 2 is deprived from any fault, hardware and software wise.
    Just let them receive our critics and suggestion, I am confident they will address them in future updates.
  • What don't you understand? It would have been a nicer experience and less trouble to provide pure, unadulterated android. The camera stuff is a gimmick and none of it actually works very well. I'm finding too many apps that work perfectly on a Nexus or Pixel device that just don't quite work on the Nokia. The glance screen is also a stupid gimmick harking back to old Nokia's but it's pointless if it won't work with the apps people want to use - the beauty of android is you don't have to use the stock messaging app or dialer or anything else. Notifications work with third party apps on other phones no problem so why not in the Nokia? If you're going to remove the simple and effective led notifier then you should make damn sure the replacement is actually useful.
  • Simo Simo
     / 
    Your comment is full of false statements. Android is completely stock except from glance and the camera app. The camera app works nicely as it should. The only gimmicky feature is bothie, don't use it. Also, the camera app is a must have 'cause any phone has a different camera configuration. Some have wide angles, some have monochrome sensors, some have dual phase focus etc. You need to optimise the camera for the hardware otherwise the results are subpar. And the camera on the Nokia 8 is excellent, as far as a phone camera can be. I told you I had the pixel 2 as well, it is not without annoyances or compromises. As well as gimmicky features (the gestures on the fingerprint sensor, they never work as expected). But you know what? Don't like a feature , don't use it. The only objective fault I can find to the Nokia 8 is the glance feature. It is not a replacement to notification led and it will never be. I actually didn't like it even on the pixel 2, it is annoying.
    However, a part from this, it is a very good phone with an experience that is comparable to that of a pixel, software wise.
    What are those app that do not work? I want to try them. As far as me, I could not find any app that misbehaved. All Google apps and services work like a charm, the main messaging app either, media consumption is fluent, split screen is lag-less (even watching a YouTube video while browsing the web or Google plus).
    Either we have different phones or I can't understand. Also, more often than not, when an app is misbehaving, the problem lies in the app itself, not in the system.
  • No false statements at all. You should be careful slinging around patronising accusations. The stock Google camera app works better than the Nokia one. Nokia's implementation of HDR is rubbish. Their panoramic mode is poor. The digital zoom is unusable. The focusing is poor and slow. Low light performance is well below where the lens' alleged capabilities are. So far it hasn't taken a single picture that is any better than my old Nexus 5x and often objectively worse. Apps wise, Fitbit doesn't work properly, nor does Reddit, PureGym and a bunch of others, mostly around notifications. All of them worked fine on a Nexus 5x on Oreo and even the 8.1.1 beta and I've seen them working fine on a Pixel 2. It's not about not using a feature, it's about the time and money wasted on pointless stuff that adds no value at all instead of getting the supposed flagship features working properly before launch. Maybe these will all be fixed in time, but they should be working now, not later.
  • Simo Simo
     / 
    I am not patronising you. I am watching with my own eyes and comparing both cameras. Sure, Google algorithm are superior to Nokia's, but still photos are perfectly comparable and not so distant. I took photos with both the pixel 2 and the Nokia from the same spot and I couldn't discern big difference. I would suggest you to buy glasses, or either to remove the lens of preconceptions from your mind, but you would accuse me of patronising so I won't say it.
    Anyway your statements are in stark contrast with my own experience. I am writing this message from the Nokia 8, so it's not that I am talking of something I don't own.
    And since I cannot find your assertions in my day to day experience with this device, how could I believe you? So post facts. Tell the name of the application that are not working so I can replicate your findings.
    Unluckily I cannot post photos taken from this phone here, otherwise I would, of both the pixel 2 and the Nokia 8. Also, the low light performance of pixel 2 is highly overrated compared to my expectations by reading reviews, I guess the Google fanboyism lens are quite powerful...
  • Simo Simo
     / 
    Sorry I did not notice that you post the name of some app that misbehaved. Unluckily, they are all apps I am not using. In my case, apps like telegram, discord, WhatsApp, my banking app, meteo app, are all working as they should.
    What do you mean "problems with notification?" Are you sure it's a problem of the system? If it was, it would be quite strange that only some app would be affected and not the majority
  • No Google fanboyism here at all, just facts. The camera is nowhere near as good. There is not one review out there where the Nokia camera gets even close to the current flagships. It's performance is deeply lacking. I think the person with the lenses on is you. The HDR mode makes photos grainy and over exposed with artificial looking colours. The Google one doesn't. The zoom is worthless as everything loses sharpness to an unacceptable degree. Pictures are too dark. It takes too long to focus and often can't settle on a subject. These are major flaws. I've been photographing landscapes and wildlife for years with phones, point and shoot and DSLRs so I know a fair bit about photography and this camera, right now, is garbage. Maybe software improvements will fix some or all of it, but it is not a flagship level camera right now. I have tried it in a range of situations and lighting levels and it has failed in pretty much all of them.

You wanted examples and hot them. Don't use them? Not my problem. And since Nokia software is likely to be in between apps and the android API, it is not surprising that some apps will work when others won't.

Are you looking for a prize because you're using your Nokia to reply? So what? I am too. You may be happy with the flaws but that does not mean others should be. You have nothing to add to this conversation so just move along.
  • I agree with your comments about the camera, the Nokia camera app is very buggy and doesn't get the best out of them. It's not the hardware here is bad as people have gotten much better results from the Google pixel camera APK that has been knocking around and also some other third party camera apps. Nokia are aware of this and are working on making the camera app better. As for the glance screen I'm sure those features can be added to it.

You have to remember the Nokia 8 is a relatively new phone still, quite often when a device is released it can take a few months to really iron out any bugs with the software. My experience with this device has been very good on the whole. It's fast, snappy and I've not encountered any apps that do not work correctly. My biggest gripe is a buggy WiFi driver that after around 5-6 days of uptime seems to stop working and a reboot is required. It's annoying as if I don't notice it starts using my mobile data. It's done this on nougat and Oreo.
  • Simo Simo
     / 
    I am not happy with the faults. I simply could not find any. I am sorry about that. Not any major flaw at least. And yes there is at least a review from a major site that talked nicely of the camera and also did a comparison of pics taken from the major flagships and the Nokia 8 so you can see and compare from yourself.. and I couldn't find any major differences that could tell them apart. Yes there are differences between pixel 2 and Nokia 8 concerning the camera (even though low light shots are grain on the pixel 2 as well), but are differences worth the 250 pounds more in the price tag? I do not think so, not by far. And with the Nokia 8 you get some bonuses like headphone jack, a better screen (have you seen the oled on the pixel 2 and 2xl? All there is it's better blacks cause of the technology used), storage expansion and eventually two sim card.
    As for the software, I do not think what you suggest is even possible... either the API are Google's or Nokia's, you can't have API in the middle, and programming new APIs is not small feet, it doesn't make sense that Nokia kept exactly the same look than android stock but included their own APIs. For what reason? There is no feature that could use in house API, the only feature they added is glance. Either it is that one that made things broken for you or it does not make sense. It's also the first time I am reading about notification problems and app misbehaving on the Nokia 8 so that makes it even more difficult to believe.
    However, if your problem is that it has flaws, of course it has, any phone at launch has flaws. The s8 had flaws, the pixel 2 and 2xl are having flaws (and pretty major ones, and they cost like a salary on some countries). Here you get almost the same internals and features as flagships that cost a 50% more, and you did not expect any flaw at all? We should be more realistic about these things. If even Samsung or Google can't get it right at launch on phones costing almost a thousand pounds, I think Nokia did a pretty good job in delivering consistent "performances" all across the board.
    I tried the Google camera APK port, but I didn't notice big improvements, I should test it more, even though I guess you miss the benefits of having an additional monochrome sensor on the back.
  • Yes I really would like this feature
  • I just got a Nokia 8 and can't believe I dont have any means to check my social notifications from the glance/locked screen! It is really frustrating that I did not find about the lack of notification LED (standard since so many years) and no glance meaning I miss important work/personal notifications...

Please add this!

• user1533805399634 user1533805399634
     /  edited August 26

Instead of using Glance, I use Glimpse (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.nullgrad.glimpse&hl=en). You should probably have a look at it.