New Nokia phone codenames

Hi all, As some of you may know, phone manufacturers like to give their phones codenames whilst they're developing them, to try to keep it confidential what the final product name will be.

New Nokia phone codenames

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi all,

As some of you may know, phone manufacturers like to give their phones codenames whilst they're developing them, to try to keep it confidential what the final product name will be. HMD and FIH are similar, they have given their models different codenames. These codenames often then get used in the developer community to make it clear which model they are working on (since some manufacturers use the same model name for many different actual models, e.g. Moto G.). HMD, for now, keeps it's model names clear (ish) so, each model name refers to a different model (they also have model numbers for each variant of a model, but these are generally very close so developers can ignore the differences).

Here are the codenames that I think HMD currently uses - the ones that I know at least. I don't know any for the feature phones. I've noticed a bit of a pattern, the codenames follow an alphabetical order, so the flagship is A, with the next top model being B, C, D, etc. I'm not sure this patter is exact, there appear to be some oddities, and the newer models use a totally different approach which I've not worked out the pattern for yet.

Have I got anything wrong? Do you see some other patterns? Any new codenames to share?

Cheers :)

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 

Hmm, I think that the rumour about the Nokia 7.1 codename is wrong, it will be CTL according to the list of Google Play certified devices. There was also a rumour about a device called A1P, but this hasn't been linked to any phone recently.

Note that the two codenames for the original 6 are because the China/HK/Taiwan models have a different codename from the Global models.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    So @juho tweeted that all codenames for 2019 phones will be based on Marvel superheroes! This could be quite fun, I wonder what HMD will use?

In addition, I learnt that the 3 letter codes for the phones are not really the codenames, HMD have "cooler" codenames like Crystal (7.1), Plate (6), Plate2 (6.1), Essential (3), Core (5), Onyx (7+), Avenger/Avatar (Sirocco), Argon (8110) and now (apparently) Olympic for the rumoured Nokia 9 penta-lens camera monster. https://nokiamob.net/2018/11/17/nokia-phones-2019-internal-codenames-based-on-marvel-superheroes/

What other codenames do you know? Maybe HMD can tell us!

• stipe1906 stipe1906
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Gonna bookmark this because of the codenames (thanks!) ;). It's nice to have it on a single page.
    Btw., some of the 2019 codenames could be HLK, SPN, SMN and CTA, according to this source: 
    CTA - Captain America, HLK - Hulk, SPN or SMN Spiderman, while for the other I can't remember a Marvel Universe hero, but Superman from DC could fit.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    Thanks @stipe1906! That was part of the reason I wrote this post, to try to gather all the info in one place. Of course, things have evolved and we now know some of the devices and their codenames, others are still unclear and there are a whole host of others to discover! It's a shame I can't edit the OP to keep it up to date.
  • jaikn1985 jaikn1985
    ✭✭  / 
    Nokia 7.1 (TA-1100) in UK has CTL in device info and when we go to recovery its showing B2N.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    Really? That's interesting. Maybe the recovery image is the same but they've forgotten to update the name.
  • stipe1906 stipe1906
    ✭✭✭  / 
    New Nokia device spotted on FIH servers - Nokia TAS /Taisun. Taisun is world's strongest crane. Could be Nokia 6.2 with punch-hole display

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    @stipe1906 thanks! You beat me to the post :lol:
    I haven't worked out the pattern of codenames with the latest devices yet.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    To help me keep track of this and other things I've started a Github repo: https://github.com/madb1lly/HMD-Nokia-phones-data/blob/master/Nokia phones and codenames.csv

Please feel free to modify and make pull request :smiley:

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭  / 
    jaikn1985 said:
    Nokia 7.1 (TA-1100) in UK has CTL in device info and when we go to recovery its showing B2N.
    6.1, 6.1 Plus, 7, 7.1, 7 Plus share 90% same software :)) You can easily boot one's system image or boot image on other xD So, does not surprise me xD
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  /  edited February 8
    @singhnsk it's great to have your technical knowledge here! I suppose that any phone based on a recent Qualcomm chipset will share a lot of commonality, especially since HMD try to use Qualcomm's software with as few changes as possible.

Any idea exactly which models have the -N suffix on their codename? In the Google Play supported devices lists there's also a lot of models listed with a -sprout suffix, what does that mean? Wasn't Sprout a codename for an early Nexus device?
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭  /  edited February 8
    @madbilly You are right about the chipsets sharing a commonality. In fact, all these phones mentioned above actually share a lot of the software. That also tells us why they received the Pie update one after other. And even most system level bugs are the same across these phones. If you open up the build prop, you'll see similar to this on all these phones:
    ro.build.flavor=gsi_sdm660_64_00CN-user
    ro.build.system_root_image=true
    ro.build.ab_update=true
    ro.product.model=GSI-00CN
    ro.product.brand=FIH_GSI
    ro.product.name=gsi_sdm660_64_00CNro.product.device=C1N
    ro.build.product=gsi_sdm660_64
    You'll notice that it talks a lot about sdm660, suggesting that the GSI they used on my Nokia 7 (sdm630) is something they developed for the sdm660. The compatibility is probably because the CPUs are similar and now that the /vendor is separated. We can't say the same for the other series of CPUs though. Example the code for the Nokia 8.1 is a lot different. Also, Nokia 8 and Nokia 8 Sirocco files don't easily interchange even though they have the same CPU.
    The sprout is actually what Google uses to address all Android One phones. Even Android One phones from other OEMs have the sprout part. I remember seeing "jasminesprout" in the OTA update URL of Mi A2. So, maybe that's how Google differentiates the software for the Android One phones, which is closer to the Nexus range?
    I have no idea of the N part though. Could be a special regional variant, who knows? :D

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    Thanks for the tip on the Sprout thing, I'll see if it makes sense for specific HMD model numbers. The -N thing is puzzling though...

...I wish I could go back to Dubai and ask this! Maybe a winner of the Barcelona competition can ask when they go.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    madbilly said:
    ...I wish I could go back to Dubai and ask this! Maybe a winner of the Barcelona competition can ask when they go.
    I doubt the concerned person will have answer to this extremely technical part 😝  Let's hope the MWC winners get us some nice new information from the event. Really appreciate the way you summed up Dubai :)
    Do let me know if the sprout part matches with the model numbers. If we get to know which TA-XXXX variant is the -N variant, then we can find some answers for ourselves. 

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    Well I've now realised that someone who could have answered this was indeed at Dubai! It's someone who is responsible for certification/qualification of devices with the various authorities. to do this they must know individual model designations and the differences... Oh well, I will have to hope I get the chance again! :D 
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly Maybe maybe drop an email to him and expect a response xD
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    Now that's an idea... hmmm!

I think you're right that _sprout corresponds to Android One devices, because all of the codenames with _sprout have corresponding Android One devices, and vice versa.

I think there's a pattern for -N but I can't quite work it out. Only the 3.1, 3.1+ and 5.1 have the -N suffix and always with a _sprout. However, 7, 7+ and Sirocco already had a codename ending in N, and they also have _sprout variants except the 7.

Any ideas?
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    @madbilly,Currently my head doesn't give me any hints as to what the N could be. We do have the 8.1 which doesn't have the N variant. And is that a valid point if we count that all these special N options (3.1, 3.1 Plus and 5.1) were only for phones running a MediaTek CPU?
    Edit: We do not have that for the 5.1 Plus on MediaTek. So, I'll rule that out :D
    Edit 2: I am kinda guessing now is that the N is for special NFC enabled variant of the same device, sold in limited markets. I did check a bit and it seems that these phones do offer NFC only in limited markets. What do you think?

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    @singhnsk good ideas, but I'm not sure that's correct about NFC as I think the 6.1 was also like this and it doesn't have the N variants of the codename.

I've emailed support! I wonder what answer I will get... :D 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    I didn't get an answer from support yet.