Home, Back and Apps button unresponsive - Android 9

Randomly, though perhaps using an app when disabling these buttons is intended, the home and other buttons become unresponsive and I can only recover their use…

Home, Back and Apps button unresponsive - Android 9

j0wal j0wal
 /  edited October 24

Randomly, though perhaps using an app when disabling these buttons is intended, the home and other buttons become unresponsive and I can only recover their use by doing a power restart.

Comments

• I have this problem as well, as do a lot of people on Reddit. I spoke to Nokia support yesterday and they suggested I try replicate while in safe mode, so I'm going to give that a try. It's highly frustrating
  • j0wal j0wal
     / 

I've turned on gesture control, which replaces the home button functionality, in the hope that the gesture implementation is more robust. Too soon to tell if this has worked yet.

• I have bad news. After i updated to pie, I switched to the new gesture navigation, and that's when it started for me. I later switched back to legacy navigation and it carried on with the locking up. I have contacted Nokia support here and hope they can help. I got told they are forwarding the problem to their technical team and it might take a few days.
  • j0wal j0wal
     / 

You were right. Took a bit over 24hrs to happen again, same issue with the gestures. Feels like an OS bug. I wonder if it is happening to any other androidone devices.

• j0wal j0wal
     / 

I decided not to reset this lockup using the phone restart. Waiting patiently is not successful. Started wandering through the config settings, accessibility on / off - no joy, eventually clicked on something that reset the home button to work again - maybe in the system menu??? Will try to narrow this down and see if it is consistent and repeatable.

• j0wal j0wal
     /  edited October 27

Happened again. Pulled down the top menu - twice - to get to the settings icon. Into Settings > System > About Phone. ... and the menu seems to work again. I'd also tried going into - and changing - the gestures and input settings, however it didn't start to work until I went in to About Phone.

• yeahboo yeahboo
     / 
    I have experienced this too. Found out today how to replicate the issue on my device. Can you check if the same happens to yours?

1. Make sure you have Google App on the left sode of your home screen. (Click hold wallpaper -> Home Settings -> Display Google app)

2. Swipe to Google app on the left of main home screen. Click on any card that leads to a webpage.

3. Click on the theee dots, top right screen. Click Open in Chrome.

4. Buttons should be unresponsive now. Restart phone.

Any way we can inform support about this?
  • j0wal j0wal
     / 
    Nope, doesn't do it for me. Now that I have a work around to reset without the power cycle I am happy to wait for the eventual fix.
  • yeahboo yeahboo
     / 
    By that you mean "you can't replicate issue"? I wonder what triggers the issue for others. Doing this replicates the error.
  • Barrett Oliver Barrett Oliver
     /  edited October 27
    I can't replicate it by opening an article from the Google app either, but j0wals fix works for me. Thanks man!