'Cast' option is not working

Hello Nokia. Why is the 'Cast' option not working for Nokia Andriod phones only ? Every other Andriod phone this option works.

'Cast' option is not working

user1523011053944 user1523011053944
 /  edited October 28

Hello Nokia. Why is the 'Cast' option not working for Nokia Andriod phones only ? Every other Andriod phone this option works. Even a basic smart phone with any Andriod version this option works, but not Nokia. Why is this ? We are very loyal few who stick to you and these kind of things makes us feel left out. Please enable this asap.

My Phone's: Nokia 8, Nokia 6.1 & Nokia 5 (All Andriod)
OS version : Andriod Oreo 8.1

Comments

• Terminusaquo Terminusaquo
    ✭✭✭  /  edited October 29

You can only cast to Chromecast devices from Android, the functionality to cast to Miracast enabled devices was removed in Lollipop at the OS level. Miracast functionality can be reenabled by manufacturers, I know that Samsung have, and certain apps retain that function as well but the only way to enable it yourself is to root the phone and enable a flag in the build.prop file.

So, just to be clear, this is not Nokia specific but has been disabled by Google at the OS level to push the proprietary Chromecast.

• @Terminusaquo, Disabled by Google ?? Are you kidding. Every other phone manufacturer has enabled it. Only Nokia phones it is not enabled. Even the pure andriod stock phones has this function, but not Nokia. My bro mobile is Honor with latest OS Andriod Oreo 8, Cast works for him. My sis has Motorola with Oreo 8.1, Cast works for her as well. Both their phones are mid range phones as well. Now tell me, is this Google mistake or manufacturers ?
    ✭✭✭  /  edited October 29

@Petrus What app are you casting from as, mentioned by me above, Miracast was disabled by Google at the OS level.

If you are using the cast option in the OS then your Sony TV has a Chromecast built in.

• mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭  / 

I wouldn't waste your effort Terminusaquo, i have come to realise when you post information that can be corroborated as 100% fact on here a large majority will just ignore it and give you some rubbish comeback full of misinformation.

✭✭✭  / 

@user1523011053944 Yes, disabled by Google since Lollipop at the OS level. Why is that so hard to comprehend and those two manufacturers have either reenabled it in the build.prop file before flashing it onto devices or your brother and sister are using apps that can cast to Miracast enabled devices. Mid-Range or High End makes NO difference as it's down to the manufacturers preference to enable something that Google disabled at the OS level so this is on Google and no it's not a mistake by anyone.

@MrBelter I agree but then I love a good argument :D

• mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭  / 

FWIW there is a Moto G3, Moto G4 and a Moto G5 Plus sat here and not one of them is able to cast via Miracast.

✭✭✭  / 

The whole casting from an Android device is a mess. Some phones can due to the manufacturer enabling Miracast at the OS level on certain phones, some phones can't because the manufacturer hasn't enabled it. However if you try to cast to a games console or smart TV that has YouTube installed, setup and paired to a Google Account you can then cast from the YouTube app on your phone.

• petrus petrus
    ✭✭  / 
    @Terminusaquo Yes, you are right. Sony has built-in Chromecast. That's why I deleted the post. Unnecessary my contribution. Thanks for warning.