Volume button control media playback after update to Pie

Hi, Since the update to Android 9, the volume buttons do not work as expected. I am wondering if there are more users who may have a similar issue.

Volume button control media playback after update to Pie

arnschi arnschi
 / 

Hi,

Since the update to Android 9, the volume buttons do not work as expected. I am wondering if there are more users who may have a similar issue. If yes, please also post your country (I have bought it in Europe - just in case there are any differences)

The Volume buttons on the side, are supposed to control the ringer volume in case there is no playback. This has worked in the past without trouble.

But now they always control media playback volume. And there is definitely no media playback running.

What I have tried together with the chat:

- restart the phone

- soft reset

- start in safe mode

both without success. Now they want me to do a factory reset.

Before I waste time re-installing the whole system, I want to know if this may
be a known problem. Do you have an European version of N7+? And if yes,
do the volume buttons work correctly?

regards,

Arnschi

Comments

• Nams Nams
     / 
    Je confirme j'ai le même soucis, il gère maintenant en priorité le son multimédia, ou désactive complètement le son "sonnerie" si tu cliques sur la cloche. Pour le volume des autres sonneries il faut cliquer sur "l'engrenage' , un peu décevant....
    As tu aussi remarqué qu'il n'y a plus les bandeaux rouges indicateurs de batterie faible ?
  • Wilson Shrestha Wilson Shrestha
    ✭✭✭  /  edited October 31
    Hello, @arnschi the problem you are facing on your device is not a bug but it is one of the changes that Android Pie brings. On Android Pie the volume buttons controls media playback volume by default instead of ringer volume. Its not just only your device all the devices on Android Pie will act the same. And sadly there is no option to change this.
  • gawdfather007 gawdfather007
     /  edited October 30
    This change was introduced because people dont usually change their rigntone and alarm volumes that much but are constantly changing their media one as per the situation, thats why google introduced this change. And i quite like it.
  • arnschi arnschi
     /  edited October 31

@wilson, thanks for the info. I was using the wrong keywords while googling this, now I see it as well. @Nokia: Are you kidding me? I spend half an hour with the official support chat who finally advises me to do a factory reset. I even ask if they are absolutely sure this isn't a known bug and maybe all N7+ phones have this problem and they say no, this is no common problem. It is really a shame that the official Nokia support has no clue about its own products, whereas some helpful forum-user can provide the answer in 4 hours. I am aware that Android is made by google - but Nokia puts it on their phones, so for me they are the first point of contact and supposed to know what is a bug and what is a feature.

• Wilson Shrestha Wilson Shrestha
    ✭✭✭  / 
    You're most welcome @arnschi.