Where my oreo?

Apologies if this has been asked before, but when will the UK receive the update. I have a SIM fee Nokia 8 TA-1012.

Where my oreo?

mcdona922 mcdona922
 /  edited February 24
Apologies if this has been asked before, but when will the UK receive the update. I have a SIM fee Nokia 8 TA-1012. I thought all users were supposed to receive the update over 2 days, starting from Friday past?

Comments

• Paradoxa Paradoxa
     /  edited January 4

We were, but there seems to be an issue preventing some sim free TA-1012 owners, as well as some people on other models who are also sim free (and in different countries) from getting the update.

Problem is, nobody here on the community forum knows anything since HMD (at the time of writing this) have seemingly said nothing on the matter so far.

I've contacted CS about this and I'm pending an answer since Im using the same model, however I've little hope that much will come off this since apparently others have done the same and simply been instructed to factory reset their phone rather than given a more practical solution.

I'll be sure to post if they say anything useful this time and have a solution or statement.

• mcdona922 mcdona922
     /  edited January 4

Thanks for the update Paradoxa, typical CS response to everything.

I received a Patch last week, l initially thought it was the Oreo build until I noticed the size and read the description, "November Security Update"

To my understanding this patch was supposed to be included in the Oreo build.

What a mess!

• user1510833295814 user1510833295814
     /  edited January 4

Same issue here. Sim Free T-1012 in the UK. Chat advisers useful as always. Just repeating the script followed by 'We don't have that information'. Would appreciate an official/real response from Nokia/HMD here as they have marketed these phones for their good update policy. So far disappointing. Mostly with the level of service when raising questions...

Nokia where are you?

• koroki koroki
     / 

Same here, Germany, TA-1012, no oreo yet. 

• This is getting better. Just got a  response from Nokia adviser on the chat. Very poor

"But the updates come from Google"

"For additional information regarding Android updates I would kindly advise you to contact Google at support.google.com"

• mcdona922 mcdona922
     /  edited November 2017

Wow! and I thought Samsung were bad.

• Paradoxa Paradoxa
     /  edited December 2017

I have another update. CS got back to me, and I'll give them credit here, they got back alot faster than I expected. That's where my compliments end for them however, and the criticism begins, because beyond fast replies their not much use. Here is a full screenshot of what they said.

Now, there a few things wrong with this that I can see. First of all, they completely miss my enquiry about Oreo. They gave me no real explanation on why my phone is not getting Oreo whatsoever. Next, they go on about Security Patches being location, operator, and hardware dependant. All well and good exception I know that stuff for one, and for another, I also clearly stated these patches are already out for my phone model. So yeah, it doesn't seem like their reading emails properly.

Now onto their actual solution. First of all, the instructions are poorly written and technically incorrect. In order to actually find the Google Play Services, you would need to go into Storage, followed by Apps, then maybe click Show System in the top right before you can actually find Google Play Services. 

(This app seems to appear randomly whether or not Show System is selected.) So yeah. Bad instructions. Annoying enough but resolvable on my own. However if these were instructions given to someone who didn't already know around a phone this could leave them lost. So it still needs correcting.

Now, actually trying the suggestion. I tried their instructions of clearing caches. Simply put, didn't work. Sidenote: this is the second time I've dealt with a company's CS and been told to clear some cache. Do they think its some magic solutions to all of life's problems?

All it did was cause my backup account setting to need to be reconfigured so it knows what account I want my data backed up to, as well as briefly cause my profile pics in apps like Gmail to disappear before reappearing. So this solution was utterly useless.

Oh, and to cap things off, they just closed the ticket immediately before confirming anything like whether I was happy with their assistance (Im not) and whether or not their solution worked. It didn't. So yeah, all in all, Nokia CS is as bad as people are saying if not worse. They don't pay attention to requests, they don't provide functioning solutions, and they just close tickets without verifying anything has worked. 

What use is that? I may as well have not bothered. I might try chase them up about Oreo on the off chance they actually have something useful, though to be honest, this initial contact has already made me very sceptical about getting anything out of them that can actually help. And my confidence in Nokia and HMD as a whole is already quite shaken.

(Sidenote: I tried a few other solutions as well that I came up with on my own, such as uninstalling and reinstalling the updates from Google Play Services, since I heard someone had an update that magically appeared after Play Services updated themselves. That didn't work either for me. I also tried taking the Sim out and rebooting the phone and that didn't work either. I heard it may have worked for some other folks, so you guys may want to give it a shot. Good luck.)

In the meantime, Im gonna try a few other home made solutions. I did hear some references made by other forum-goers in other threads that plugging in a random Sim from a different network has somehow solved their issue, and SIM's are cheap up the shop at the end of the road, so I may try that next. 

I'll post if anything works. If worse comes to the worst, I may just Factory Reset my phone because that's a solution some have tried and claim to work. I hope I don't have to do that though, because going back through set-up is a nightmare.

Anyways, sorry for making this post/update a bit protracted here folks. Hope you all got something useful out of it, even if that is just "CS is a waste of time." Like I said, try some of the other solutions I've mentioned. They didn't work for me, but maybe they'll work for you. Who knows. There's no consistency with these phones or solutions, its all a bit of a lottery it seems. Hopefully things get sorted out for those still waiting for updates soon.

Good luck everyone.

• koroki koroki
     / 

I have the oreo!

• Hey Koroki

Did you have to reset your phone, or did it just eventually show up?
  • I would also like to know if there was anything particular you had to do. Koroki, care to share please?

• Same problem here:

TA-1012, Australia, sim-free.

A bit more than a week ago the phone updated to the November security patch.  Android version sits at 7.1.1, the Oreo 8.0 update is not showing up.  Actively trying to update reports "Your system is up to date.

• Thanks Paradoxa for your update. Tried rebooting, taking out the SIM card and clearing the cache. All to no avail. Not getting anywhere with customer care either. My phone is still on Android 7.1.1 and September security patch. According to chat support that is fine 'if there was a newer version available your phone would have it' Email techsupport still hasn't gotten back to me. Seems that Nokia has been overselling things a little bit. Wouldn't be that bad if they at least acknowledge the issues and working on a solution..
  • KazeXT KazeXT
     / 

Has anybody actually tried doing a factory reset? Like many others, I'm a bit reluctant to do it but if someone else can confirm this works I'd be much more willing to try it.

• Dont do it, i tried it and nothing on oreo update!
  • Have you removed SIM before and inserted it after checking for updates via Wi-Fi? Because if not, carrier/country customisation could happen before first update check, so you ended up with the same result as before factory reset.

I think factory reset trick may work only if you won't insert SIM card before first update check, so the device would be in true "local customisation free" state when querying update server.
  • sotosev sotosev
     /  edited December 2017
    I removed cards.
    I did a factory reset.
    Then serch for update
  • Hi everyone!

I got the TA-1012 and I live in Germany!

I had the Security Patch from September 2017, no SP from October, November and Oreo. It said all the time, my device is up to date.

But I wasn't satisfied with that, I had all the time the feeling there is a problem with the OS during some configurations/settings. 

1. I made a restart with sim card: nothing happened

2. I removed the sim card and restarted the device: nothing happened

3. I set my clock to be synchronised with the internet and rebooted without sim card: nothing happened

4. I deleted all Google Service Data and Caches, rebooted without simcard: noting happened

and finally, I made a full backup of my data did a factory reset during Android, not recovery mode (seems that I don't have it or it is locked or what ever).

Now, during the settings after a factory reset, I received several security messages. Some messages from Google that my OS is not up to date and also from Nokia/Android, that there are two Android Updates available. 

At the moment, I download the October Security Patch, and there is still one left. I will continue to report if I received the Oreo at the end.

Daniel

• I am updating it to the November Security Patch.....

Daniel

• user1511955747770 user1511955747770
     /  edited November 2017

Ok, no Oreo update :-( , but I got now the November Patch... Seems that a Factory Reset without SIM-Card can solve some update problems.

Daniel

• Me too, TA-1012 (Germany) last update (last week) was November security patch.

• Paradoxa Paradoxa
     /  edited November 2017

Just in case anyone noticed they'd gone and was wondering why, I removed some of my duplicate posts that linked outside the forums since the original I had written up was finally approved so it could be seen. About damn time too.

@user1510833295814

Yeah, CS gave me something similar when I emailed them about still not getting updates and whatnot. They were all like, no "this is good" and whatnot. They said even some of their phones don't have the updates. I'd love for them to explain to me how that is good someday... 

Anyways, you can read their response here if you want. I must say in a ways its almost funny, them just calmly addressing peoples lacks of potentially updates such as security patches by saying its all good. Their remarking "this is good" actually kinda reminded me of this meme for some reason lol. 

Maybe you'll get a quick laugh out of this.

@user1511859922060

I think some people have tried Factory Resetting with success, but at the same time I think its still failed for some. So its all quite random and impossible to determine. Feel free to try it and let the rest of us know.

Before you do however, can you tell the rest of us your region and model number please? Might give a better idea of what devices Factory Resetting works on and which ones it doesn't. Cheers.

• Alright folks, I got some good news. Can't guarantee this'll work for all of you here but try the Sim Card swap trick others have mentioned. Specifically try a Sim Card from the EE network if you can get one. My brother was nice enough to lend me his for 5 minutes and despite removing it halfway through the October patch whilst downloading on Wi-Fi I was still able to finish the update.

Even better, after a reboot to let the update finish the last of the installation process I was able to continue receiving updates and secure the November Security Patch as well through Wi-Fi, no problems at all. Its actually downloading as I write this. (Still need to see if I can get a hat trick lol and get Oreo.)

So yeah, try an EE Sim Card as it worked for me on my TA-1012 model, which seems to be the model most people are reporting problems with. Good luck everyone and I hope this helps.

• Hmm, still no Oreo despite swapping Sims. Shame, looks like I'll have to find another way to resolve that it seems. Still, good to have the Security Patches if nothing else. 

I'll update again if I find another way to secure Oreo.

• Tried a hard reset myself (this isn’t my only device so it was no hardship).

Full setup with no sim used at all, no update.

I was using an EE SIM before and was up to the November patch on 7.1.1.

The thing that concerns me here is that one of the major selling points for this ‘new’ Nokia is their fast updates and solid communication with buyers. There has been no word from Nokia and no replies on Twitter or elsewhere to concerns about the delay. Clearly someone knows why things are delayed but they are unwilling to communicate this to buyers.

No one is buying the Nokia 8 for its camera or other hardware - it’s the trustworthy brand and promise of fast updates. I can perfectly well wait for an update but to me the problem is the lack of communication, and my concern that this is a portent of things to come, going forward.

Not a good start.
  • See this: https://twitter.com/demi_mod/status/935491199305175041

Scroll down to see Nokia Mobile's official Twitter account essentially confirming there's an issue ( https://twitter.com/nokiamobile/status/935496320944623616 ).  From that, I understand it was definitely not the intention to have delays longer than the announced 2 days for the Oreo roll-out.  There's clearly a non-intentional issue going on; but sadly no further official communication from Nokia Mobile at this stage.  I suppose they're hoping to silently fix this before it really blows up publicly.  Whatever the issue, it definitely doesn't look too good, since fast/smooth updates were essentially one of the main selling points.

• KazeXT KazeXT
     /  edited November 2017

Tried a factory reset with no SIM, but I still didn't get the Oreo update (UK TA-1012 SIM-free on Three network). I haven't been able to try with a SIM from another network yet.

I agree that Nokia/HMDs lack of acknowledgement of the problem is a bit concerning. I only ordered the phone at the end of last week just as the rollout started and expected to get the update essentially straight away. Timely updates was certainly a factor in my decision to get this particular phone and the fact that there are problems already doesn't fill me with confidence.

• Finally managed to speak to someone that actually was helpful.

Mostly a reiteration of what has been posted above. It might be held back by your network provider (also on sim free models so swapping sims might help especially for security updates) and the roll-out of Oreo is dependent on build/serial number on the mobile. After referring to the posts here they did however raise the general issue to their engineering team to look into it. It came with the caveat that they might not provide a response at all though. At least someone who actually acknowledges the situation and trying to look into it. That alone makes a big difference in my opinion.   

• Leon Buxton Leon Buxton
     /  edited December 2017
    To put things in perspective, I’m not overly concerned about not having Oreo: my concern is that Nokia saw fit to announce a global rollout over two days, yet nearly a week later some of the biggest markets still don’t have the update. If they had said nothing and the updates had just come in stages to different markets then this wouldn’t concern me, but the fact that people such as myself are being made to feel like something is wrong with their devices - and going as far as hard resetting and swapping sims to see if this pushes the updates - proves a lack of communication on Nokia’s part.

I don’t understand why Juho Sarvikas was so keen to spread the message about the two day rollout but subsequently seems to be ignoring all questions about why it hasn’t happened. I’m sure he’s a really nice guy and I’m sure they’re working very hard but this is *terrible* customer relations, when it could be resolved so simply.

If Nokia (or Juho) just came out on Sunday and said ‘sorry folks, there’s been a delay rolling this out due to [insert issue here] then I would have absolutely no problem whatsoever.

The lack of communication troubles me, given that an *huge* part in my buying decision with Nokia was the promise of good communication and fast updates.
  • Spv4u 2 Spv4u 2
     /  edited November 2017
    Totally agree with lat post.

What is frustrating and what I would like cleared up is that I purchased the phone sim free so my operator should have no say in my updates and have no ability to block them.
  • See this tweet now. ...and especially the avalanche of replies.  It's not that people can't wait; it's that Juho Sarvikas was (and is still) happily keeping up his "we did it in 2 days" face.  If they would've just announced that the plan was a phased roll-out over several weeks, no one would've been complaining like this.  Like other mentioned above: people were left to feel there was actually something wrong with their devices.  From a marketing point of view, that's quite a farce indeed... not the most strategic timing either, when they are trying to re-build the brand.  I really fail to understand why they don't simply stick out their neck and admit they made a mistake by communicating that the roll-out would be done and dusted in 2 days.  That's all it really takes to regain confidence.  It's not about the actual roll-out delay, it's simply about proper communication.