NFC = problems

Is the antenna for NFC really badly designed on Nokia 8?

NFC = problems

Fredrik Persson Fredrik Persson
 /  edited November 2017
Is the antenna for NFC really badly designed on Nokia 8?

Most of the time my phone won't read any tags, cards or payment terminals. Really disappointed with the performance.

I have tried a multitude of different cards, badges, stickers, tags and terminals including other NFC enabled phones (for example to use Android Beam).

Anyone else experiencing this? Nokia chat support dodges questions, I get the feeling Nokia knows more than we, the customers, about this issue.

Comments

• Ale Ale
     / 

The NFC works fine for me, but others are reporting similar issues, have a look at this discussion: https://community.phones.nokia.com/support/discussions/topics/7000011347/.

•  The antenna itself is fine, but the position is beyond awkward.

• I have the same issue with my new Nokia 8 Sirocco. Android 8.1.0 has been installed already, however, NFC didn't detect anything. No cards, no phones, no device tags. Really disappointing, as I am curious to try NFC payments by Smartphone.
  • user1538886926498 user1538886926498
    ✭✭  /  edited February 14
    The location of NFC tag on N8 is under fingerprint scanner on N8 as per support
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    I thought the NFC is located near the camera flash/LED! Am I confusing it with something else from that area?
  • petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I very often use NFC and at 99% the NFC antenna is located near the camera flash.
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  /  edited February 14
    I use Google pay often and I always put the camera over the screen of the terminal.
    Works 95%of the time first go.

So I can only assume that the NFC sensor is in the top 1/3of the phone. Which imo is the sensible place to put it.
  • djpimpek djpimpek
    ✭✭  / 
    After pie i cant pay with NFC...
  • petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    djpimpek said:
    After pie i cant pay with NFC...

Have you tried some steps? Test NFC, clear application cache, reinstall application, or re-register your credit card ....

• Andrzej Smyk Andrzej Smyk
    ✭✭  / 
    If any of you got a problem with NFC and Android 9 @ Nokia 8, try to disable "adaptive battery" option within "Battery" menu. This solution works for me.
  • Andrzej Smyk Andrzej Smyk
    ✭✭  / 
    Or (better way), leave "adaptive battery" on and go Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> See all XX apps -> 3 dots : Show system -> NFc Service -> Advanced -> Batery usage -> Batery optimisation -> All apps -> NFc Service -> Don't optimise -> Done.
  • alexkay alexkay
    ✭✭  / 
    I don't have any problems with GPay on my TA-1004 with Android 9. It works fine out of the box without any special configuration.
    I simply hold the top edge towards the payment device for 2 seconds and payment is done successfully.