NOKIA 7 PLUS UK | No Pie update or Sept. security patch

I'm using a Nokia 7 Plus in the UK, the TA-1055 model which still has the 00WW_2_22M OS build (Android 8.1, Aug security path) despite the update apparently being rolled out on the 28th of September (writing on the 2nd November btw)!

NOKIA 7 PLUS UK | No Pie update or Sept. security patch

Atom Ridge Atom Ridge
 /  edited November 7

I'm using a Nokia 7 Plus in the UK, the TA-1055 model which still has the 00WW_2_22M OS build (Android 8.1, Aug security path) despite the update apparently being rolled out on the 28th of September (writing on the 2nd November btw)! I assumed that Android One meant quick updates, and this is still quicker than most, but most other Android One devices have already had the update for some time, and even Nokia's other phones have had the update rolled out now. And I've still seen many tweets about the Pie update having bugs, so what's the point of taking this long then?

I like my 7 Plus, it's a great phone, but Nokia has to be more transparent with their customers. A clear roadmap with when each market will receive an update would be very helpful. Or better still, allow bootloader unlocking across your entire lineup, and not just a single, now year old flagship, so we can flash a ROM or something ourselves. I doubt anyone who isn't a tech head is going to brick there phones because of this small change.

OK, rant over. Nokia, I know you read the forums, so please take my requests into mind. I bought a Nokia because I still liked the brand, please don't change that.

Comments

• I should mention, my device is carrier unlocked.

• I sideloaded Pie and got the October update. 

Makes a mockery of HMD saying that it's the carriers blocking things when I get an update to an OS over the air which has not been officialy released in the UK yet.

They need to be pulled up for the Android One misselling!!!!!!!

• frankla frankla
     / 
    Received October sp but no pie on ta-1055 OOWW_2_22M_SP02 unlocked, ee network.
  • I have the same UK TA-1055. I just got the October security update today but it did not come with the Pie update they promised for October.

I tried sideloading the October Pie update from XDA nut this failed.

I know other phone companies are even worse at updates - Motorola especially - but I bought this over a OnePlus specifically because of Android One and the promise of quick updates.

• What network are you on? I am also in the UK, and have not received October's update

Thank you
  • Just got the October update this morning but no pie, (am using BT)
  • BT.
    But I bought the phone direct from Nokia, and the updates download over wi-fi, so I'm not sure what the network has to do with it.
  • Honestly, I got so tired of waiting that I just sideloaded the official OTA through ADB, I now have Pie as well as the September security patch. I recommend you guys do the same, just search "nokia 7 plus pie adb update" and it's really simple. Just go into the recovery, then "Apply update from ADB", then in the CLI type "adb sideload ota.zip" and wait a few minutes while it's done, then reboot to find yourself in Pie.
  • There's no warranty void through that, and it won't affect any future OTA updates as far as I know.
  • frankla frankla
     / 
    Do you need to reset the phone after that and does it keep personal data?
  • All data remains intact after the flash. It is good practice to factory reset, but I didn't and everything is fine.
  • I downloaded and installed Pie using this guide https://www.stechguide.com/nokia-7-plus-android-9-pie-stable-ota-update/
    It works fine but was still on September security patch. Bizarrely, this morning I got the October update by clearing the cache in Google Play Services, rebooting the phone, swapping my Giffgaff SIM to a Vodafone one, it arrived....
  • Ditto the OP. It's about three months since Pie first went live on Pixel phones. What's the point of buying a (great) Android One phone if it's not updated before the "pack" of branded Android phones? Come on HMD/Nokia - sort it out!

• I made a typo earlier, I got the October security patch after sideloading Pie, not the September one.
  • Hi Atom Ridge in exactly the same situation. I'm in the UK using Three network and same model as yours and stuck on August Security patch and 8.1 Oreo. I spoke to customer service and they just gave me the usual. It's a gradual roll out and just said hopefully it will be with us by the end of November...
  • Richard Richard
     / 
    They also said hopefully by the end of October, and that didn't happen either!
  • So they have moved from the carrier or country blocking the update then. :D