Is Anybody having audio quality issues in Google Play music over earphones?

Anybody having audio quality issues in Google Play music over earphones ?

Is Anybody having audio quality issues in Google Play music over earphones?

Anybody having audio quality issues in Google Play music over earphones ?

Comments

• axe-man axe-man
     /  edited November 7

Yes. There is a distortion which is evident sometimes on the Music player and the other times while making a Call. The whole issue occurrence is only thru headphones (Wired).

The Audio distortion happens either ways.

When you are listening to Music player (No Distortion) and you are about to make a call from the Phone app. That's it. You have a distortion when you are having a conversation. End the call and Back to Music, No more distortion.

The same thing happens the other way also. Like you make a call (NO Distortion) after ending the call, Play music and now you have a distortion.

This seems so weird. I checked the Audio (a Common Song between my Nokia 6.1Plus and Pixel 2 XL).

Pixel 2 XL has no distortion issues like Nokia 6.1PLus has. Even the Loudness is probably 2db higher. (Pls consider 2 clicks of Volume up button).

Nokia 6.1Plus has full potential of playing the music loud enough. To check, install poweramp Beta version. The option of Audio tweaking overrides default system audio settings. I think the default sample rate is 192khz. But in poweramp beta you can change it to 384khz. This ultimately boosts volume. Remember this is not the Gain Boost. Gain Boost usually distorts audio.

I thought the issue was with Oreo OS. But after the Pie update, the problem still persists. Hope Nokia team will work on this matter.

• Does that also happen when you pause the audio turn off the screen for 2-3 seconds, turn on the screen, play the audio and the distortion is gone.
    It really is wierd.
  • axe-man axe-man
     /  edited November 6

Need to check that out.I wrote an email a while back to Nokia regarding the Low audio issue. They asked me to visit the service center.

Has anyone tried playing music thru Gom Audio or Poweramp Beta (changing the sample rate from 192Khz to 384 Khz)?

The Audio output is satisfyingly loud. If the 3rd party apps can play louder without any issues, that means the device is actually fine. It's something else that is not allowing to use the full capacity of the device.

I'm attaching some screenshots taken earlier. Note: When You Install Gom Audio, It changes the System preferred audio settings which they call it "System Basic Play Module" to "Gom Audio Play Module".

Now you can also see the EQ in the "Sound Effects" is set Flat,

Also the "Effects" section are all set to Zero. The Dry Mix and Width are set by default. The Dry mix is the Overall Loudness. You really don't want it to be set to full if you're listening to Rock music.

The next one is Poweramp Beta app. When you install this app, you'll have to manually change the audio settings to make it loud. Since the system audio settings are being limited to full capacity.

Here's how the Poweramp Beta settings looks like. Just click on Audio option.

Now click on Output

Then click on "Hi-Res Output". (Note that the Direct Hardware is set at 24-bit 96/192khz) This is what we're gonna change to 384khz.

Now select to activate "Wired Headset/Aux" if you're using Wired earphones and tap on the gear icon to enter the settings.

Now tap on sample rate to change it to 384khz. Make sure that the earphones are connected when you follow these steps.

Now a very simple question. Do I still need to get my phone to the service center????

• When I play audio through VLC or poweramp there is no distortion at all. I too might go to the service centre in a day or so, better to be safe than to be sorry.
  • user1541046917625 user1541046917625
     /  edited November 6
    Sound distortion is there in Nokia 6.1 plus. Also Sound output is low. Poweramp also doesn't work.I am using musicana music player with no equilizer.this is providing better output. I have tried several popular music player but found musicana useful. But still software update is required to improve sound output. While traveling it makes difficult to use headphones for watching movies etc. If you increase sound in VLC it starts distortion. Update is necessary.
  • zibr zibr
     / 

If I use one app (be it any - Amazon Music) and if there is no distortion then for sure it (Hiss/Buzz/Distortion) will come as I play a song on other apps (youtube). If it cannot be heard in one app then it will be heard in other apps.
    Quite Disturbing.

• @axe-man Did you go for a replacement ? Does that solve the problem ?