ATT - No MMS Will Send with Wi-Fi Calling Enabled

Been using the Nokia 7.1 here in the USA for the past week on ATT, and I think I have discovered my first bug with the device.  If you enable Wi-Fi calling, no texting app (Android Messages, Textra, Pulse, etc...) can send MMS messages.  You can send plain SMS messages just fine, but you can't send things like pictures, GIFs, etc...  They just get stuck in a stuck sending state, it then times out, and asks you to tap to retry.  As soon as you turn off Wi-Fi calling, normal MMS functionality returns.  I only use ATT, so I cannot confirm if this is a problem for T-Mobile as well, but I have reset my phone just in case, and had the same behavior.  Wi-Fi calling must be off on ATT for MMS to work.  Anyone else?  Confirmed bug?  Phone not fully compatible with ATT Wi-Fi calling here?  Nokia/HMD aware of the issue?

ATT - No MMS Will Send with Wi-Fi Calling Enabled

jasonscarter jasonscarter
 /  edited November 2018

Been using the Nokia 7.1 here in the USA for the past week on ATT, and I think I have discovered my first bug with the device.  If you enable Wi-Fi calling, no texting app (Android Messages, Textra, Pulse, etc...) can send MMS messages.  You can send plain SMS messages just fine, but you can't send things like pictures, GIFs, etc...  They just get stuck in a stuck sending state, it then times out, and asks you to tap to retry.  As soon as you turn off Wi-Fi calling, normal MMS functionality returns.  I only use ATT, so I cannot confirm if this is a problem for T-Mobile as well, but I have reset my phone just in case, and had the same behavior.  Wi-Fi calling must be off on ATT for MMS to work.  Anyone else?  Confirmed bug?  Phone not fully compatible with ATT Wi-Fi calling here?  Nokia/HMD aware of the issue?

The device is new, and I am sure there are other bugs, but this is the first one I have encountered.

Comments

• I am seeing the same behaoy with both of my AT&T sims.
  • No issue with the phone the issue is att does not support wifi calling on unlocked devices.  Only a small list of att branded phones will support wifi calling.  
  • I'm having same issue with my Nokia 6, when wifi calling is enabled it too won't send text messages, I don't understand 
  • Att does not allow wifi calling on unlocked non att provided phones.  It's att choice and they don't support unlocked phones for this feature.
    Regards
    Jason
  • jdi000 said:
    Att does not allow wifi calling on unlocked non att provided phones.  It's att choice and they don't support unlocked phones for this feature.
    Regards
    Jason

It turns out the real issue is when a MMS goes to be sent, with WiFi calling is enabled, this particular Nokia device isn't smart enough to hand that off to the cellular radio.  It tries to go out WiFi, which MMS cannot go through with ATT.  MMS on ATT must go through cellular radio.  The WiFi calling actually does work with ATT, but you have to turn it off if you want to send MMS when connected to WiFi.
  • jdi000 said:
    Att does not allow wifi calling on unlocked non att provided phones.  It's att choice and they don't support unlocked phones for this feature.
    Regards
    Jason

It turns out the real issue is when a MMS goes to be sent, with WiFi calling is enabled, this particular Nokia device isn't smart enough to hand that off to the cellular radio.  It tries to go out WiFi, which MMS cannot go through with ATT.  MMS on ATT must go through cellular radio.  The WiFi calling actually does work with ATT, but you have to turn it off if you want to send MMS when connected to WiFi.
    Att does not support wifi calling on non att branded devices so how do you say you are using it?

• They may not "support" it, but it works.  Have tested it.  My local WalMart is a cell phone dead spot, but they have WiFi, and I tested there shortly after getting this device and was able to make and receive calls.
  • Type *#*#4636#*#* into the dialer and it will come back  with info.  On the phone info it will say if the phone is provisioned for wifi calling.

Jason
  • WiFi calling says provisioned.  It works man.
  • MMS works with T-Mobile with wifi calling on here in Va,USA
  • Have any of the updates resolved this yet?
  • jdi000 jdi000
     /  edited January 5
    The mms issue with WiFi calling enabled has been resolved on att since pie rollout.

- Jason 
  • Nokia 3.1 here, supports Wifi Calling, but whenever it's enabled (enhanced 4G LTE toggle in the network options), MMS goes out the window. It may be because Tmo, like ATT, only supports wifi calling on some devices that they sell directly. Either way, I can only get MMS to work properly when Wifi Calling/Enhanced 4G LTE is turned off. It took months of wasting time to figure this out.