No Widevine L1 Support in Nokia 8 Sirocco!!!

This basically means that you cannot enjoy services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime etc. in High Definition 1080p/2K.

No Widevine L1 Support in Nokia 8 Sirocco!!!

wilson shrestha wilson shrestha
✭✭✭✭  /  edited November 2018
This basically means that you cannot enjoy services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime etc. in High Definition 1080p/2K.

Here you can see that the security Level is L3 so we can only stream videos at 540p i.e SD videos for the above mentioned services. I don't know why Nokia didn't get the Widevine L1 certification on their flagship device.
Tagged:

Comments

• iln8s iln8s
     / 
    @juho please comment, much appreciated
  • Audioboxer Audioboxer
    ✭✭✭  / 
    iln8s said:
    @juho please comment, much appreciated
    It's a hardware issue, very unlikely an OTA can solve this.

Apparently it doesn't cost anymore for the manufacturer to get L1 certification so this was a very silly oversight by HMD.

A flagship device that cannot do Netflix/Amazon in 720/1080p. Some "cheaper" Chinese brands go with L3, but HMD should be doing better.
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited November 2018
    "Perhaps one of the most important points to note about Widevine is that it doesn’t charge a license fee in order to implement its protection technology. So there’s no financial reason why smartphones like the OnePlus 5T are missing out.
    Instead, hardware manufacturers only need to pass a certification process. This includes the completion of various legal agreements, implementation of some software libraries, and client integration testing to verify support, among other steps. Apparently this process is designed to be streamlined for easy adoption, and all chipsets used for Android smartphones support the necessarily technologies, so it’s only likely that manufacturer oversight or lack of testing time is to blame if smartphones aren’t compatible."

Nokia 8 has relevant certification

• Audioboxer Audioboxer
    ✭✭✭  / 
    naufrago said:
    "Perhaps one of the most important points to note about Widevine is that it doesn’t charge a license fee in order to implement its protection technology. So there’s no financial reason why smartphones like the OnePlus 5T are missing out.
    Instead, hardware manufacturers only need to pass a certification process. This includes the completion of various legal agreements, implementation of some software libraries, and client integration testing to verify support, among other steps. Apparently this process is designed to be streamlined for easy adoption, and all chipsets used for Android smartphones support the necessarily technologies, so it’s only likely that manufacturer oversight or lack of testing time is to blame if smartphones aren’t compatible."

lol, so the 8 has it but the supposed flagship premium device doesn't. 

I'll contact support and ask them why not/can they patch it?

The 5T needed a recall program to have it fixed. Quite honestly I'd expect Nokia to take a support ticket request to fix a Sirocco if its sent to them. 
  • I just watched Netflix and if that wasn't 1080p then I need new glasses.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I just watched Netflix and if that wasn't 1080p then I need new glasses.
    Honestly, it isn't very easy to differentiate. Even I've confused myself a couple of times about the quality from Amazon Prime. What appeared to me very good was just their normal quality and not full HD.
  • naufrago said:

My Nokia 8 (TA-1012) for some reason has widevine l3 WTF?
  • rennie allen rennie allen
    ✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    I just watched Netflix and if that wasn't 1080p then I need new glasses.
    Honestly, it isn't very easy to differentiate. Even I've confused myself a couple of times about the quality from Amazon Prime. What appeared to me very good was just their normal quality and not full HD.
    I see, I am not a movie watcher, I thought l3 implied std definition not 720p. I can guarantee my eyes cannot differentiate 720 from 1080 on a screen this size.
  • slinky trips slinky trips
    ✭✭  / 
    It's also a Youtube 'signature device', where they mention that it is compatible with DRM for Youtube TV which requires L1.

https://devicereport.youtube.com