Sirocco's Screen Replacement Costs a Bomb

Just learned about a rediculusly non-userfriendly policy from Nokia. Nokia 8 Sirocco screen cannot be repaired, the whole phone is replaced. Good, right?

Sirocco's Screen Replacement Costs a Bomb

Just learned about a rediculusly non-userfriendly policy from Nokia. Nokia 8 Sirocco screen cannot be repaired, the whole phone is replaced. Good, right?

Well, The cost is about 70% of the phone value! That is just not done. 

Now I am stuck with the cracked screen and I can't even switch to some other phone in exchange because exchange does not work with cracked screens...

Handle your phones with good care guys. If you ever fall, pray to God that it is a bone that cracked, not your phone :-|
Tagged:

Comments

• mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yonks ago i bought my wife a cheapo alcatel to put her on, it cost £199, she dropped it (only 2 foot in the house) and the screen shattered and they wanted £159 for a new screen. Why all companies cannot offer a reasonably priced replacement service is beyond me. Anyone would think they are just trying to screw even more money out of you.

They have your money and your custom it makes no sense to rip people off and put them off your brand for the future.
  • I'd agree with this. 
    Bought one of these for £350 brand new, 4 days later had a puncture whilst driving home from work, as I bent down to see where the jack went, the phone fell out of my pocket, all of 18 inches and the screen now looks like crazy paving. 
    So much for Gorilla glass.
    Screen still works perfectly, just the glass cracked.
    Nokia want £300 for a new screen! 

• Audioboxer Audioboxer
     /  edited November 2018
    Yikes guys, my Sirocco is arriving next day or two and you all made me think I shall be right on a better case/protector lol.
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. As this phone is 90% glass and curved glass at that, I'm not surprised prices to replace cracks are as high :(
    At £300 to replace you'd be better buying a new phone! Sell the old for spares/repairs and maybe make something from it.
  • Here at Finland insurance company would pay a fair part about accidentally craked screen. 
  • Yep absolutely weak glass weakest of all the Nokia's just cracked my new Sirocco screen from sliding of my knee while sitting down!!! Unbelievable I do not recommend this phone unless you live in a padded house and never leave
  • Same here ... 
    I dropped my Sirocco from 30cm high and the glass, only the glass, broke.
    But, to fix it I have to send the phone by mail and it will cost about 340 eur ... and take several days to send me back the phone.
    I'm trying to find some maintenance shop here in Berlin, but every place says the same thing "we dont repair nokias because we dont have the parts"
    It could be a way to earn more money ... put an ultra fragile glass on the phone, drop the sell price a lil bit, and wait for the fix to earn a LOT more.
    The phone is great, nice features and everything, but dont have any maintenance shop and dont send the replacement parts for the shops is a huge failure.
  • My friend bought Huawei p20, when he come to work second day he drops phone. He pay 600€ for phone but replacement of screen cost 100€, lucky for him he register phone on Huawei site for that phone screen replacement in first two months is free! I am from Serbia and when you buy expensive phone from carrier you have warranty for one or two months.
  • My sirocco fall today. OMG, first time in my life I see cracked screen.  :'( And it wasn't an extreme fall. What kind of gorilla Nokia uses? Super soft and gentle gorilla?
  • valyo_bg valyo_bg
    ✭✭  / 
    Did you have already installed original or any protective case when your phone fall?
  • valyo_bg said:
    Did you have already installed original or any protective case when your phone fall?
    Yes. I have a protective case a little bit better than original one.
  • l feel disappointed.
    l fell down when l was on my way to office. And my phone hit on a small stone , then my screen got liquid crystal leakage. Also, my phone card cannot be read anymore. l have been staying in "no service" zone for almost 2 weeks, haha. Then l went to the after-sales service the day my phone broke. The guys there told me that they need to do problem diagnosis first which could cost me around HK$200. Then HK$2,785 for screen-changing, almost 60% of the price of my NOKIA 8 SIROCCO. Bad experience and l am not planning to get it repaired if it would cost me that much. :s :'(
  • l really like my sirocco. it works very well and l like how it touches.
  • My Sirocco phone is just 2 months old. It's screen got damage automatically. I thought gorilla 5 screen will not break even after falling down. I am a big fan of Nokia I used all N series phones. I was waiting for any good Nokia phone.
     My old Nokia 8 phone fell down from running bike still didn't break which was not gorilla glass I think.
    What type of screen they are using now a days. It that monkey glass not gorilla? 
    I see lots of cases in same pattern. I feel there is a menufecturing defect. Nokia should must look into this.
    I will never use nokia anymore and will not suggest anyone even will stop if I don't get solution.
    Thinking to go to consumer court.
  • Hello guy! 
    Well... I changed a lot of Amoled screens in the past years and...this is how it works: 
    On the Samsung Galaxy phones, all the displays are amoled type abd they all have, they say, Gorilla Glass in front of the display.
    Why they call it Gorilla, I dunno. Why they call it Glass, I do for sure, and that because it shatters when dropped from a distance... 
    The toughest glass was on some S3 Galaxys, because, on some, they somewhat laminated a layer between the front gpass and the amoled display. Hence, those were shatterproof. 
    On the later years, from the Galaxy S6/7 edge and 8/9 series, the glass is curved and one can remove the shattered glass only with special devices and at sub zero temperatures ( or zero absolute), and NOT anymore by heating plate and 0.5 mm molibden wire technique... like I used in the good old days (2013-2017). They also use another tyoe of theyr amoled displays, wich is flexible and hence the curved glass display gimmick. 
    On out beloved Sirocco, from what I know, the display is a pOled (oled in plastic all around) from LG, not the batch that was problematic in the Huawei Mate series (search for the -- green stains in pitch black scenarios), but a more quality batch and here I thank LG for that. 
    I am not sure about the durability of the applied glass on the Sirocco but after reading you all I am guessing that is not that Gorilla tough (as they do in all their tests, right?) 
    I have an S6 edge screen cracked and disassembled and if one cares about how they made it and why they are so fragile, I will put some pictures with the display. 
    The bottom line is that you must care more about your phones because they are more prone to shatter (and the Sirocco has glass more than 90% of the total body...) and all you can do it's just to invest in a 10 bucks "all around the screen" protector made from tempered glass and not in a 250 dollars new complete screen, plus labour (that is the price at my repair shop with oem part) ... 
  • Since I don't see Nokia 8 Sirocco listed on Corning Gorilla Glass official site and have the device with damaged screen like the others here in this topic (fell from ~1m onto ceramic tiles floor) so should I question myself "Was I **** by Nokia marketing?"
  • Mmm yeah, maybe. But if it does not appear on the Gorilla site does't mean it is not protected by them. I saw the list and only Lumias are on that list, interesting that the newly S10 appears, so.... I am guessing that Hmd does not want to be listed.  
  • This HMD Global is cheating on us, They don't have any Corning Gorilla Glasses on their phones. But in here they are showing that Nokia 8 Sirroco have the Corning Gorilla Glass 5 
  • Like I said, the list means nothing. It is secured and curved glass so this is Gorilla all the way for me. They are the only ones that can produce this type of glass, with all the curves and bends on it. 
    Like I mentioned earlier, I will post my latter S6edge screen for comparison and technology enthusiast out there. Thin sheet of plastic oled and clear glass screen with touchscreen directly applied on the glass, so hard to copy that. 
  • Pyves Pyves
    ✭✭  / 
    Interesting, thanks for sharing those pics!
  • Thank you all for the feed back. I would love to buy the 9 PureView, but don't need a breakable device. My Lumia 920's polymer case has been practically bullet proof on all kinds of drops. Makes me wonder why HMD decided to follow the design sheep off the cliff.
  • Kaninjo Kaninjo
    ✭✭  / 

Well, The cost is about 70% of the phone value! That is just not done. 

Now I am stuck with the cracked screen and I can't even switch to some other phone in exchange because exchange does not work with cracked screens...

Handle your phones with good care guys. If you ever fall, pray to God that it is a bone that cracked, not your phone :-|
    You're right I've got the same problem, just ten days after I started using my new Nokia Sirocco

• Kaninjo Kaninjo
    ✭✭  / 
    You're right I've got the same problem, just ten days after I started using my new Nokia Sirocco
  • My Sirocco phone is just 2 months old. It's screen got damage automatically. I thought gorilla 5 screen will not break even after falling down. I am a big fan of Nokia I used all N series phones. I was waiting for any good Nokia phone.
     My old Nokia 8 phone fell down from running bike still didn't break which was not gorilla glass I think. 
    What type of screen they are using now a days. It that monkey glass not gorilla? 
    I see lots of cases in same pattern. I feel there is a menufecturing defect. Nokia should must look into this.
    I will never use nokia anymore and will not suggest anyone even will stop if I don't get solution.
    Thinking to go to consumer court.
  • sumitranjan sumitranjan
    ✭✭  / 
    Pathetic Support. For a Phone Less than a year old( and costing Rs. 32000) , the screen issue will now cost me Rs.25000 !
    Apparently, the screens are not available so repair not possible. What kind of Pathetic support is this? And what is the use of warranty???
    Will not recommend anyone going for Nokia again.
  • sarath227 sarath227
    ✭✭  / 
    I just damaged my Nokia 8 siracoo display, how much it costs for display replacement?
  • sarath227 sarath227
    ✭✭  / 
    > @sumitranjan said:
    > Pathetic Support. For a Phone Less than a year old( and costing Rs. 32000) , the screen issue will now cost me Rs.25000 !
    > Apparently, the screens are not available so repair not possible. What kind of Pathetic support is this? And what is the use of warranty???
    > Will not recommend anyone going for Nokia again.

Same thing happened for me today. they are saying 25000 for screen replacement. Did you get your repaired?
  • Evindzer Evindzer
    ✭✭  / 
    Just be more careful with your phones, people. 
    I've been using mobile phones for 16 years, and I haven't broken even one screen.