Bootloader unlock for nokia devices - Page 2

+100

Bootloader unlock for nokia devices

Comments

• +100
  • harizone322 harizone322
    ✭✭  / 
    We all love the stock Android experience, bloat free and simple. But one thing it lacks is the presence of certain features, especially after pie. Eg: call recording, themeing, in built screen recording etc. Nokia can also grow their market share by simply doing this one thing. You'll can attract the large developer community. You can take our warranty, we don't mind, but we have paid for our device. Allow us to use it to the fullest. Please support this so that Nokia and hmd consider it.
    Completely agree!! I can't believe how HMD took 180° turn after the unlock of Nokia 8's bootloader. And it's a shame that, they're ignoring the developer community.
  • Audioboxer Audioboxer
    ✭✭✭  /  edited November 2018
    I've moved over to Nokia for the first time since I was young and it's pretty disappointing even Samsung in Europe do better with allowing bootloader unlocks and supplying kernel sources.

The fact I have to rely on the hard work of a 3rd party and pay for my Nokia 8 Sirocco to be unlocked is terribly disappointing. As others have said around warranty, fine, most manufacturers want to void a warranty if a phone is unlocked. All of us know this. We accept that risk and just enjoy the community and excitement around Android development. I'm incredibly grateful Nokia are going with Android One/Vanilla Android, this is what has brought me back to Nokia, but that usually goes hand in hand with Android development.

I've had a Samsung device repaired even with KNOX tripped, as it was a hardware fault, not caused by a bootloader unlock, but okay, that's done at Samsung's discretion. They still say unlocking your bootloader may void warranty.

In return, if you support this it means us techy geeks buy into your brand and spread awareness of it to others. Although Google are responsible for Android, there's a reason their Nexus line catapulted their hardware ventures to where they are now. Even if many of us are a bit disappointed with Pixel they are becoming more hostile to the dev scene that built them up.

Without sounding disrespectful to Nokia, it does seem as if the brand could do with more growth internationally. I'm sure the Nokia 9 will help as a premium device is what many in Europe want, but do remember devices like the One Plus and others are fierce with their open source support to try and court the premium market which still overlaps with dev. XDA is still quite a big forum.

Nokia, you listened and responded somewhat by doing the Nokia 8 bootloader unlock, but don't just leave things there. Please expand it and make sure you release your kernel sources.
  • pls allow to unlock nokia devices
  • All the guys switching to 1+ or any other else cos they allowing us bl unlocking and fc. K nokia.
  • We all love the stock Android experience, bloat free and simple. But one thing it lacks is the presence of certain features, especially after pie. Eg: call recording, themeing, in built screen recording etc. Nokia can also grow their market share by simply doing this one thing. You'll can attract the large developer community. You can take our warranty, we don't mind, but we have paid for our device. Allow us to use it to the fullest. Please support this so that Nokia and hmd consider it.
    True, but HMD Global should try to take the leap of faith in this matter.....and provide what the customer wants.

• KingBoss KingBoss
     /  edited December 2018
    We all love the stock Android experience, bloat free and simple. But one thing it lacks is the presence of certain features, especially after pie. Eg: call recording, themeing, in built screen recording etc. Nokia can also grow their market share by simply doing this one thing. You'll can attract the large developer community. You can take our warranty, we don't mind, but we have paid for our device. Allow us to use it to the fullest. Please support this so that Nokia and hmd consider it.

• Café Café
     / 
    got device not supported in the bootloader unlock, this is total bollocks, they are selecting devices wich are more sell-able and ditch the previous ones to the shelf, if I don't get my nokia 5 TA-1053 unlocked I will make sure that no one that I know will ever buy a nokia phone.
  • I just brought a Nokia 5.1 plus and was sad to find out bootloader can't be unlocked. Please let us unlock bootloader, It is only thing that is stopping these phones from being perfect devices. Lots of people want it!
  • TomD TomD
    ✭✭  / 
    I'm confident that plenty more people would be Nokia phones if their bootloaders were unlocked. There's a big community out there dedicated to custom roms and developing amazing tools.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I fully agree. Especially for the phones which are almost at the end of their official support lifetime.

Hear hear! :grin:
  • eddiazda eddiazda
    ✭✭  / 
    Please, unlock the bootloader for Nokia 6.1 🥺
  • UpdateNokia2 UpdateNokia2
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Unlock the bootloader of Nokia 2 please @hmd_global I want to block the annoying advertising from some apps using Xposed module adaway to stop this ads !
  • Thanuj Thanuj
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Here's to hoping they allow bootloader unlocking. (They most probably wouldn't)
    I was believing Nokia/HMD would let us unlock the bootloader of their devices because when i bought my 6.1+ Nokia 8 was unlocked. But no, They haven't. There is no harm in allowing bootloader unlocks, Millions of phones are unlocked and active right now and there has not been a major security breach or threat to any of the devices. Also majority of the people would know the risks involved and all the problems they might, could face.

Please HMD/Nokia, Here us out. Your customers are loyal and are waiting for the day you announce Official Bootloader unlocking :smiley:

+1/I'm in.
  • Why is so hard to give people what they want? We need the bootloader unlock for Nokia devices!
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    For me, the action to remove the bootloader unlock method confirms, sadly, that HMD have no interest at all in building any kind of technical enthusiast community around their phones.
    I'm finding HMD's phones less and less interesting, sadly. :neutral:
  • AniketThakur AniketThakur
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    For me, the action to remove the bootloader unlock method confirms, sadly, that HMD have no interest at all in building any kind of technical enthusiast community around their phones.
    I'm finding HMD's phones less and less interesting, sadly. :neutral:
    I don't know what they are upto, they are following samsung which makes bootloader unlocking difficult
  • chris Owuo chris Owuo
    ✭✭  / 
    please allow us to unlock bootloader nokia x6 it's great phone with beautiful design
  • Tweet to HMD directly:

Juho Sarvikas, Chief Product Officer
    Ajey Mehta, Vice President and Region Head
    Dhingra Risha, Global Head of Communications

• hamada8hd hamada8hd
    ✭✭  / 
    [{"insert":"Please HMD, allow us to unlock the bootloader, nokia 7 plus.\n"}]
  • user123 user123
    ✭✭  / 

HMD Please provide BOOTLOADER UNLOCK