Moderators are going to be busy!

Soooo... 100 "new" topics in the last 12 hours. Many are repeats of existing subjects, many just about Android 9, many in the wrong forum.

Moderators are going to be busy!

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Soooo... 100 "new" topics in the last 12 hours. Many are repeats of existing subjects, many just about Android 9, many in the wrong forum. This is just what the old forum was like and I hoped the new one would put in place some pre-posting checks to make avoid the same things happening again.

Since we do have the same problem but now also many many new moderators (maybe we had them before, I don't know) I hope the mods can get on top of the topics which aren't new, which are just about Android 9 or in completely the wrong forum. Otherwise the forum will quickly become unusable.

I'm optimistic!
Cheers :)

Comments

• wilson shrestha wilson shrestha
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited November 2018
    madbilly said:
    Soooo... 100 "new" topics in the last 12 hours. Many are repeats of existing subjects, many just about Android 9, many in the wrong forum. This is just what the old forum was like and I hoped the new one would put in place some pre-posting checks to make avoid the same things happening again.

Since we do have the same problem but now also many many new moderators (maybe we had them before, I don't know) I hope the mods can get on top of the topics which aren't new, which are just about Android 9 or in completely the wrong forum. Otherwise the forum will quickly become unusable.

I'm optimistic!
    Cheers :)
    The moderator could put the topic on Android 9 updates at top but I'm afraid that the moderators doesn't know exactly when the updates are going to be released. And all I see is the topic being flooded with questions on when the updates is going to be received for a particular device. However, you are a right a unified topic for the on going Android 9 could keep the forum clean and usable.

PS: And I also think that this traffic on the new community forum will be soon over as soon as the results are out for the competition. 😂😂😂
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I believe you are correct @Wilson Shrestha ! :D
  • user389 user389
    I hope the new forum platform has built-in filters that can be activated? Lots of almost identical postings by different entities in obviously wrong sections etc., that will soon have the moderators do trivial work all day long.

In the meantime the Nokia 8 board has become very quiet, maybe because you have to scroll horizontally to find it(?) - so I'll take cover there until the other boards are sorted out.

-- 
    Hans
  • stipe1906 stipe1906
    ✭✭✭  / 
    As @user389 mentioned - filters. Literally if there is "when" and "update" in the title send the post to manual review. If the question is legit (not asking for update date that no one can share until it is ready), allow it. Else, delete

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @user389 I also noticed the Nokia 8 section was quiet, it's now possible to follow it reasonably!

@arttuaa knows if this is feasible and on the list of things to do yet?
  • todesurteil todesurteil
    ✭✭✭  / 
    It's not that difficult in acp (admin control panel) you just select all the pie topics and merge them into one thread won't take more than a few minutes. In my experience there's ways to dodge filters and still get past it. Just need mods that have a hand on topics like that and check everytime they log in and merge the new ones into the designated thread. Same with bots some still get thru no matter how hard you try and how good you filter or block them. 
  • matteo.m matteo.m
    ✭✭  / 
    Hi guys, Matteo here. We hear your feedback. We will be working in closing duplicate threads (see Android 9 Pie updates) and merging similar queries. Please let us know if you have any more feedback as it's always valuable to hear your thoughts.
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Classic attacks and classic abuse can and should IMO be handled by filters, so the mods can concentrate on modern social-media attacks, where individuals or groups of people attack a company or a product repeatedly everywhere whenever possible.

I used to be way more productive in usenet newsgroups 10-20 years ago.
    Maybe it's because I can't use the SLRN newsreader for this forum, maybe it's because I'm old and grumpy ;-)

I'll try the forum links @madbilly posted elsewhere to hopefully get a better and faster overview of the forum, to find the < 3% contributions of potential interest to me (yes, it's a brutal world).

--
    Hans
  • todesurteil todesurteil
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Don't want to be or sound antagonistic @user389 depending on what you suggest with filtering of posts and what should be done when a post is filtered (normally can't post the comment in my experience). You will have those that will start to complain they can't post on the forum and you will have a new issue dealing with complaints or you will get those that will figure it out and bypass it. And you have the possibility that those that will complain that they can't post comments will run to other social media platforms and complain there and it could create a issue that it might look like members are being "censored". Just my opinion of what I see could happen. Still think mods handling this issue will be better, as the posts are still on the forum, everyone can post what they want (within forum rules that is), it has just been moved and it's easier to explain than to explain you can't post because another person(s) have posted about the same topic as you. I can hear it already they will just state their comment is different for example and should be allowed. You will create more headaches for staff to explain their (member's) comment was filtered than to silently move it into another thread (that's the same topic) after a while. Just my suggestion.  
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    This morning, after one day of not looking at the forum I came in to 375 notifications! Most of those were the posts to the competition thread, I wish I could mute that.

But generally, there are 100s of new topics per day, so probably well over 1000 new comments per day. The vast majority are repeat topics. I think when Hans suggests filters my understanding is filter and redirect, not censor; I agree that censoring is for abusive posts and bots.

I really hope that Matteo and @[email protected] can come up with something soon to make the forum more manageable both for mods and users.
  • user389 user389
    I'd kill delete each and every new user who create a profile and post a request for Android Pie or other silliness as their first contribution in the forum. - No explanation deserved or required.
    It's simple abuse IMO and I suspect it's a coordinated attack in this forum, on Twitter and other social media.

Fortunately for most I'm not a moderator! ;-)
    (And I managed to use one of the stuck drafts)
    --
    Hans
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @user389 well done for using one of the stuck drafts! Your suspicion of a coordinated attack is interesting, although I would hope that the HMD team could notice that and put in place some things like all posts of new users are moderated until at least 3 (or 5, whatever) are approved without intervention.
  • stipe1906 stipe1906
    ✭✭✭  / 
    user389 said:

(And I managed to use one of the stuck drafts)
    --
    Hans
    Do you know maybe how to delete the drafts? Thanks in advance.
  • user389 user389
    I don't want to add more work for the moderators to do. At this scale it's a job for artificial intelligence and filters.
    I can ignore misplaced postings and wait for interesting postings to appear in Nokia 8 and maybe the tech section, and ignore the current mess in the rest of the community.

Try check the replies to tweets by nokiamobile Sarvikas and others to see why I suspect coordinated attacks. Else it's a whole nation gone bonkers.
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Same on twitter, poor Sarvikas. They seem really like to abuse hoping it will speed up things.
    As the forum is relatively new and many newbies signed up just for the competition, I think strict rules may not/should not be forced. 
    As soon as the forum is stabilized, filters maybe applied, abusers can be warned/banned, etc.

(Btw, another stuck draft is gone)
  • stipe1906 stipe1906
    ✭✭✭  / 
    user389 said:
    I don't want to add more work for the moderators to do. At this scale it's a job for artificial intelligence and filters.
    I can ignore misplaced postings and wait for interesting postings to appear in Nokia 8 and maybe the tech section, and ignore the current mess in the rest of the community.

Try check the replies to tweets by nokiamobile Sarvikas and others to see why I suspect coordinated attacks. Else it's a whole nation gone bonkers.
    I just get angry looking at the replies and always the same questions, so I stopped. Agree that AI should do (most of) the work
  • navs navs
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Hey @matteo.m
    Hope we could have a seperate page in the Nokia support or in the forums here where you could add update timelines and schedules. Also which phones recieved which update and something like that. It need not be a thread. It could be a page alone.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @navs, good suggestion, but off topic! :wink:

If it's hard for us to use as the community imagine how difficult it is for the social/community team to manage! I'm sure that @arttuaa and others are reading our suggestions, working on improvements.

Twitter... I never read replies to tweets so I never see the worst of humanity.