Sorry to say but this phone has a very bad built in quality!

I tell you why on the 2nd day of my purchase my lense had a weird scratch on the camra lense and now the power button has gone down or i would say gone further inside.

Sorry to say but this phone has a very bad built in quality!

Arpit09 Arpit09
✭✭  / 
I tell you why on the 2nd day of my purchase my lense had a weird scratch on the camra lense and now the power button has gone down or i would say gone further inside.
I am really disappointed. Don't know whether about the screen quality too afraid too remove the screen protector.
Tagged:

Comments

• PSHND PSHND
    ✭✭✭  / 
    No scratches and I've already dropped it once on tiles. No damage at all. 😁
  • Arpit09 Arpit09
    ✭✭  / 
    PSHND said:
    No scratches and I've already dropped it once on tiles. No damage at all. 😁
    Lucky you .
  • jqc jqc
    ✭✭  / 
    Arpit09 said:
    I am really disappointed. Don't know whether about the screen quality too afraid too remove the screen protector.
    absolutely agree. My fingerprint scanner developed a few scratches after a few days, and the back glass also got a few hairline scratches eventhough it's kept in a case
  • Rahber Ali Rahber Ali
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Bad build quality is the last thing I'd accuse Nokia phones of. Not a single scratch anywhere in 3 months. 
  • Badri Raj Badri Raj
    ✭✭  / 
    I am using from 1 month didnt get any scratches... dont know how u have got those things.. i feel Nokia 8.1 premium build quality no complaints

• NIMISHA NIMISHA
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    It fell from my study table once; I've been using it since 3 months without any screen protector, it goes all well. 
    I think its all how to keep things. 😀
  • Arpit09 Arpit09
    ✭✭  / 
    Some people will agree some won't . I know nokia is famous for its built-in quality that's why I picked that up I could have easily got poco or anyother good smartphone with snapdragon 845 . That's why I chose nokia because of good brand value or I could say good quality product but I felt bad when I got a scratch on my camera lense I thought camra lense have good screen protector because rarely see a lense got scratch .
    But then my power button got further inside then it made me **** off though it may have fell down somewhere but I had my back protector with it always .
    I just wanted to write it and tell my feelings thats all.
  • Arpit09 Arpit09
    ✭✭  / 
    It fell from my study table once; I've been using it since 3 months without any screen protector, it goes all well. 
    Does it have any scratches on screen because I hate screen protectors.
  • seanetta seanetta
    ✭✭✭  / 
    In one drop test I seen of this phone on You Tube the phone survived a ton of drops. Very robust if you ask me and mine is great after 2 weeks use
  • PRIMAL TECH PRIMAL TECH
    ✭✭  /  edited April 21
    Arpit09 said:
    Usually the front glass used on a smartphone is scratch resistant or break resistant which are gorilla glass and Nokia 8.1 display has gorilla glass 3 . There's also NEG protection for display on one site i don't know what this means.and the back glass isn't mentioned anywhere that if it hsh gorilla glass or not.
    So you can remove your glass protector but gorilla glass isn't break proof bcz glass is glass and glass can break easily.🤔😅
  • Argho Sarkar Argho Sarkar
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Arpit09 said:
    Usually the front glass used on a smartphone is scratch resistant or break resistant which are gorilla glass and Nokia 8.1 display has gorilla glass 3 . There's also NEG protection for display on one site i don't know what this means.and the back glass isn't mentioned anywhere that if it hsh gorilla glass or not.
    So you can remove your glass protector but gorilla glass isn't break proof bcz glass is glass and glass can break easily.🤔😅
    Yep any glass can break whether it's Gorilla Glass or DragonTail glass.

But Nokia 8.1 doesn't have GG3. If it were true they must have mentioned it in their official site which is mentioned for other devices like Nokia 6.1 plus, Nokia 7.1,etc.

Nokia 8.1 has NEG glass protection.
  • Yeah it has NEG. After 2 days the screen became full of micro scratches. Also the back glass is very fragile. Not recommended this devixe very bad quality of materials used. 
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 21
    Glass is just always fragile. So, it will break if it hits a hard object with a force. Whether it will survive the collision depends a lot on the angle the phone fell and which part hit the ground first. Glass is just glass, whether used on an iPhone or a Nokia and all glass can break. The thickness can wary which can have some impact on the surdiness and in no way is the 8.1 using a glass which will break easily vs some other brand's phone. The latest gorilla glass is similarly accused of taking scratches way too easily. There's been a lot of trolling and complaining about it on the internet. You can read about it on. So, it does seem like we are going a bit backwards. If you live in a region where there can be minute sand particles in the air, then the first thing you should be doing is to install a screen protector.
    That said, the built quality (surdiness and in hand feel) is definitely one of the best in this range and cannot be compared to a Poco at all. I'm sorry that your power button has developed some issue. Honestly speaking, you're the first one here with such an issue. I'll still advise that you contact a Nokia Care. Unless it's physically broken, they should cover it under warranty and fix it.
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yeah it has NEG. After 2 days the screen became full of micro scratches. Also the back glass is very fragile. Not recommended this devixe very bad quality of materials used. 
    Don't know what's wrong with your device but mine is still shining like a new device. No scratches till date. I just love it's build quality and the in hand feel is just so so sweet Nokia 8.1 😍😍😍
  • Arpit09 Arpit09
    ✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    Glass is just always fragile. So, it will break if it hits a hard object with a force. Whether it will survive the collision depends a lot on the angle the phone fell and which part hit the ground first. Glass is just glass, whether used on an iPhone or a Nokia and all glass can break. The thickness can wary which can have some impact on the surdiness and in no way is the 8.1 using a glass which will break easily vs some other brand's phone. The latest gorilla glass is similarly accused of taking scratches way too easily. There's been a lot of trolling and complaining about it on the internet. You can read about it on. So, it does seem like we are going a bit backwards. If you live in a region where there can be minute sand particles in the air, then the first thing you should be doing is to install a screen protector.
    That said, the built quality (surdiness and in hand feel) is definitely one of the best in this range and cannot be compared to a Poco at all. I'm sorry that your power button has developed some issue. Honestly speaking, you're the first one here with such an issue. I'll still advise that you contact a Nokia Care. Unless it's physically broken, they should cover it under warranty and fix it.
    No need for going to nokia care though my power button is uneven.. But don't care that much ... It still functions well but I have to say it this phone should not be taken out from the back cover much plus should have a screen protector always then and only phone can survive.
  • Arpit09 said:
    singhnsk said:
    No need for going to nokia care though my power button is uneven.. But don't care that much ... It still functions well but I have to say it this phone should not be taken out from the back cover much plus should have a screen protector always then and only phone can survive.
    Totally agree with you. Maybe we got a bad batch of devices maybe they vary, idk.
  • As said, glass is still glass, no matter what process a company uses to harden it. Physics also apply: the harder the glass is (more resistant to scratches) the easier it will break (it won't be able to absorb the impact). So, you can have glass that is super-resistant to scratches but won't survive a single drop, and you can have glass that might easily scratch but will be able to survive a lot more drops. You can't have both. Plastic/polycarbonate is a lot softer, for example, and that's why it can withstand so many drops that it's virtually unbreakable. But due to this softness, it will also accumulate lots of scratches from the first day of use.

Materials are usually scratched when coming in contact with a harder material. Hardened glass can withstand contact with certain metals, but it can't survive contact with sand. Sand is a form of crystal much harder than glass, and is often found in our pockets. In almost all cases, that's where the scratches on our phones come from.

But, in general, I think the 8.1 is sturdier that one would expect, and I believe the higher-than-usual price for the features it offers is exactly because of this premium build quality. Other companies like Xiaomi have chosen to put features first, on phones like the Pocophone F1 for example, sacrificing build quality. Not Nokia.
  • Arpit09 Arpit09
    ✭✭  / 
    As said, glass is still glass, no matter what process a company uses to harden it. Physics also apply: the harder the glass is (more resistant to scratches) the easier it will break (it won't be able to absorb the impact). So, you can have glass that is super-resistant to scratches but won't survive a single drop, and you can have glass that might easily scratch but will be able to survive a lot more drops. You can't have both. Plastic/polycarbonate is a lot softer, for example, and that's why it can withstand so many drops that it's virtually unbreakable. But due to this softness, it will also accumulate lots of scratches from the first day of use.

Materials are usually scratched when coming in contact with a harder material. Hardened glass can withstand contact with certain metals, but it can't survive contact with sand. Sand is a form of crystal much harder than glass, and is often found in our pockets. In almost all cases, that's where the scratches on our phones come from.

But, in general, I think the 8.1 is sturdier that one would expect, and I believe the higher-than-usual price for the features it offers is exactly because of this premium build quality. Other companies like Xiaomi have chosen to put features first, on phones like the Pocophone F1 for example, sacrificing build quality. Not Nokia.
    I agree with you not against Nokia even though I can remove the post can I ? may be i have to see to it. Coming to your comment I agree with you totally that's why Nokia comes in first when someone say build in quality. And thanks for explaining  that harden glass maybe not that good against scratches but may withstand drops. And what about the back lens of the camera are they of they same glass too which is on front or they have some cheap glass. The problem I accrued with
    1) The Camera lens has big hairline scratch on day 2
    2) The front screen is what I expected to withstand the scratches but from your explanation I am okay with that !
    3) The problem was that my power button got further inside or I would say is uneven after a fall.
    After that I got a little disappointed that just one fall make the power button got uneven.
    That's why made this post I hope you can understand. The Nokia which makes so robust phone wasn't being shown in this phone as for me.
    And now I feel Disappointed because  I can see a lot of bugs in this phone and updates being so late but I hope they will see to it.
  • seanetta seanetta
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Arpit09 said:
    As said, glass is still glass, no matter what process a company uses to harden it. Physics also apply: the harder the glass is (more resistant to scratches) the easier it will break (it won't be able to absorb the impact). So, you can have glass that is super-resistant to scratches but won't survive a single drop, and you can have glass that might easily scratch but will be able to survive a lot more drops. You can't have both. Plastic/polycarbonate is a lot softer, for example, and that's why it can withstand so many drops that it's virtually unbreakable. But due to this softness, it will also accumulate lots of scratches from the first day of use.

I agree with you not against Nokia even though I can remove the post can I ? may be i have to see to it. Coming to your comment I agree with you totally that's why Nokia comes in first when someone say build in quality. And thanks for explaining  that harden glass maybe not that good against scratches but may withstand drops. And what about the back lens of the camera are they of they same glass too which is on front or they have some cheap glass. The problem I accrued with
    2) The front screen is what I expected to withstand the scratches but from your explanation I am okay with that !
    3) The problem was that my power button got further inside or I would say is uneven after a fall.
    After that I got a little disappointed that just one fall make the power button got uneven.
    That's why made this post I hope you can understand. The Nokia which makes so robust phone wasn't being shown in this phone as for me.
    And now I feel Disappointed because  I can see a lot of bugs in this phone and updates being so late but I hope they will see to it.
    Not strictly true about not surving a single drop. I rarely drop my phones but in the past I've had Nokia 6.1 which was dropped twice on the hard concrete and it never broke the screen or scratched it. And same with an old Motorola with Gorilla Glass 3,fell flat down on concrete and not a single crack
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
     seanetta said:
    Arpit09 said:

Not strictly true about not surving a single drop. I rarely drop my phones but in the past I've had Nokia 6.1 which was dropped twice on the hard concrete and it never broke the screen or scratched it. And same with an old Motorola with Gorilla Glass 3,fell flat down on concrete and not a single crack

Gorilla Glass 3, as I have heard tends to be more durable when we drop phones while Gorilla Glass 5 is not that durable which is exact opposite for scratches.
  • seanetta seanetta
    ✭✭✭  / 
     seanetta said:
    Arpit09 said:

Gorilla Glass 3, as I have heard tends to be more durable when we drop phones while Gorilla Glass 5 is not that durable which is exact opposite for scratches.
    You got that the wrong way round. Gorilla Glass 5 is more durable for drops and less scratch resistant 
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    seanetta said:
     seanetta said:
    Arpit09 said:

You got that the wrong way round. Gorilla Glass 5 is more durable for drops and less scratch resistant 
    Yaa it seems like this by the number but this is not the case. I used to think the exact same way but what I have heard and what I have seen, it's true GG3 is more durable for drops.
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    seanetta said:
     seanetta said:
    Arpit09 said:

I didn't have experience of my own. I follow a YouTube channel of durability tests and as per his tests the GG3 devices survived the drop tests more often than GG5 which is very unlikely as per the number.

GG6 is more durable to drops even better than GG3 and GG5. GG6 gets scratches fast
  • seanetta seanetta
    ✭✭✭  / 
    seanetta said:
     seanetta said:
    Arpit09 said:

I didn't have experience of my own. I follow a YouTube channel of durability tests and as per his tests the GG3 devices survived the drop tests more often than GG5 which is very unlikely as per the number.

GG6 is more durable to drops even better than GG3 and GG5. GG6 gets scratches fast
    Hmmm, I dropped my older Nokia 8 face down accidentally 3 times and the glass never shattered. Also depends where it falls, an indoor hard floor is not so bad as rough concrete outside. I've also seen drop test of Nokia 8.1 and it survived alot of drops intact with it's NEG glass. I'm tired of reading this assumption that gorilla glass is stronger than others. Nobody knows this for sure
  • Yogithesailor Yogithesailor
    ✭✭  / 
    The camera got scratched on the second day only. Then I started using a case. But today I have noticed a few scratches in the back glass and a few near the frame. Looks like the phone is sturdy but prone to scratches. As far as I know,it's a balancing act. Either u can opt for scratch resistance or make it  shatter proof. Nokia seems to have opted for the latter one.
  • seanetta seanetta
    ✭✭✭  / 
    The camera got scratched on the second day only. Then I started using a case. But today I have noticed a few scratches in the back glass and a few near the frame. Looks like the phone is sturdy but prone to scratches. As far as I know,it's a balancing act. Either u can opt for scratch resistance or make it  shatter proof. Nokia seems to have opted for the latter one.
    I don't know how everyone keeps having such issues, I've had absolutely none of these problems on this site
  • I use Nokia 8 and I just put the phone on the floor and it got lots scratches on the back. I accidentally drop the phone and it got scratches on the antenna bands. The screen mirror is fortunately fine, free of scratches. Don't put your phone on cases because it scratches the phone, only use it if you always drop your phone.
  • Rahber Ali Rahber Ali
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I use Nokia 8 and I just put the phone on the floor and it got lots scratches on the back. I accidentally drop the phone and it got scratches on the antenna bands. The screen mirror is fortunately fine, free of scratches. Don't put your phone on cases because it scratches the phone, only use it if you always drop your phone.
    Using a case for 4 months now. Not a single scratch. No Idea what case you are using.
  • well , i got the 8.1 - 2 weeks ago , one single drop off 20 cm height and the screen crushed , and guess what , i can not find a spare part screen at Nokia official distributor where i am located - Egypt  ..  :( 
    even thou i still think the build quality is OK , is just i was not lucky with that drop :neutral: