Sailfish OS on Nokia Devices

Sailfish OS on Nokia Devices

pepepez pepepez
✭✭  /  edited October 2018

Comments

• In the development team of sailfish os nokia is involved so maybe nokia will provide official way to switch to sailfish os. 
  • zlutor zlutor
    ✭✭  / 
    user1537372930216 not really... SailfishOS  is developed by Jolla  and  has nothing to do with Nokia. Except it was founded by  ex-Nokia people  developing MeeGo and N9...

Current Nokia  phones are designed by HMD - having no connection to Nokia either,,,

So, even if I would  by a decent Nokia device - 7+ - with SailfishOS any time it is not that probable ATM... :(
  • jimmyireland jimmyireland
    ✭✭✭  / 
    FAILFISH no thanks ...
  • It would be a nice change to have another option  to test.
  • DrTechenstein DrTechenstein
    ✭✭  / 
    I vote Yes to have Sailfish OS on Nokia 6.1
  • luckyjim17 luckyjim17
    ✭✭  / 
    FAILFISH no thanks ...
    Have you used it? If not, why the comment?

If you have used it, how does it compare to Kai OS?
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  /  edited August 2019
    FAILFISH no thanks ...
    Have you used it? If not, why the comment?

If you have used it, how does it compare to Kai OS?
    Kai OS is a feature phone OS whereas Sailfish is a smartphone OS. With Sailfish 3 they announced support for feature phones too. Here are a couple of things about sailfish which might dissappoint many who want to use it on their Nokia smartphones by porting it.

1. Sailfish Devs aren't interested in porting it to Nokia smartphones for a few reasons like no official bootloader unlock, lack of interest or very few users who want to use SF on their Nokia phones. 

2. Even if you port it then you cannot use android apps without registering your device with Jolla. The problem is they don't accept new device registrations anymore. The registration charge is around €50 which will be enough for many to leave the thought of using SF on their Nokia.

3. Without Android app compatibility using sailfish would be very tough as it would lack many apps which you use on a regular basis. 

Jolla themselves aren't promoting it or making new devices. The last phone under them was Jolla C which has a same hardware as our Nokia 2.
  • luckyjim17 luckyjim17
    ✭✭  / 
    Thank you for the Sailfish enlightenment 🙂
  • ColinUK ColinUK
    ✭✭  / 
    I like the idea of a downloadable operating system but is another account with another provider,
    I like the KaiOS on my new Nokia 8810,
    but I have to have accounts with Kai and Google for the pre-installed features to work,
    how hard would it be for Nokia to make its own OS or forked OS like Kai or Sailfish?
  • twotic twotic
    ✭✭  / 

Fwiw my main reason for using SFOS is exactly the dubious Android support, which I do not use.

I use an original Jolla for contacts, mail and other stuff I want to keep private and use a cheap Android phone without any identity data for the apps I need.