No Q

Well it's not like i hadn't been saying it for long enough.  https://twitter.com/sarvikas/status/1164528557613207552?s=19

No Q

MrBelter MrBelter
✭✭✭✭  / 
Well it's not like i hadn't been saying it for long enough. 

Comments

• Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Phew....... Thank the universe for that.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 
    Thankfully my Nokia 7 is treble enabled. I'll just use the system from whatever they will push to the Nokia 7 Plus. I have a strong feeling that it will work. Letta see xD
  • potemkin_redux potemkin_redux
    ✭✭✭  / 
    So Nokia 8 Sirocco is getting Q update in March. 2.2, 3.2, 4.2, 3.1 Plus are getting it in January. HMD keeps on punishing owners of flagship phones. Sarvikas must be proud of himself.
  • robin robin
    ✭✭  / 
    Time to unlock Nokia 8's bootloader. Hope developer will start making custom rom for this device.
  • terminusaquo terminusaquo
    ✭✭✭  / 
    As has been said before, the Nokia 8 has had its 2 years of major versions.
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    @potemkin_redux you know we got two OS updates and will get 3 years of security updates (from market release date), so I don't think we can complain actually.
    @robin if you want a custom ROM then you need to actually help, not just ask. The T-Virus project on XDA is probably the best chance of getting Android Q on the Nokia 8.
    @singhnsk I think you're being overly hopeful. The 7 and 7+ have different SoCs and different display resolutions at least. You can probably try a GSI, but the HMD phone Q image which is most likely to work without modification on the 7 is probably the 6.1 - same SoC, same resolution, other similarities? ;)
    Cheers :)
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    @potemkin_redux you know we got two OS updates and will get 3 years of security updates (from market release date), so I don't think we can complain actually.
    @madbilly I was talking about Sirocco! I don't even want a Q update because I don't think HMD & FIH would develop a stable and reliable build for Nokia 8. But it's shameful that people who bought a flagship phone last year (Sirocco) are now treated worse than those who bought low end/entry level smartphones, and will have to wait full 6 months to get Android Q update. This is clear warning to everyone to avoid buying any HMD flagships falsely advertised as Nokia phones. They don't have anything to do with Nokia company. They're just leasing Nokia name so they can put it on their phones and make potential buyers think they can expect the same quality and support real Nokia company was providing for their phones in the past.
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Hi @potemkin_redux, sorry I didn't read your post properly :flushed:
    You're right, I don't know why the Sirocco will get its update so late, maybe it's to do with the age of the chipset and when Qualcomm will update the support for the SD835 to Android Q? Otherwise, it must be some commercial arrangement with FIH or purely economic decision.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 
    madbilly said:
    @singhnsk I think you're being overly hopeful. The 7 and 7+ have different SoCs and different display resolutions at least. You can probably try a GSI, but the HMD phone Q image which is most likely to work without modification on the 7 is probably the 6.1 - same SoC, same resolution, other similarities? ;)
    Well well, all devices now come with exact build number. The get the MR at the same time. So, more or less the system imaged used is now a generic, shared across all and as any GSI does adapt to screen resolutions, this one likely does the same way too. All phones use the same name now: gsi_sdm_660_64, be it 6.1, 7, 7.1, 7 Plus or the X71. So, I am hopeful. I am feeling that Nokia 7 Plus vendor image will suit the Nokia 7 more than the 6.1, but just a wild guess. I'll try them when they bring those out :)
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Hi @singhnsk I'd forgotten about that, good thinking :smiley:
  • uzair ahmed uzair ahmed
    ✭✭✭  / 
    No Q update for Nokia 8..
  • uzair ahmed uzair ahmed
    ✭✭✭  / 
    😭😭😒😒😒😔😔😔😟😟😟
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    So Nokia 8 Sirocco is getting Q update in March. 2.2, 3.2, 4.2, 3.1 Plus are getting it in January. HMD keeps on punishing owners of flagship phones. Sarvikas must be proud of himself.
    The Nokia 8 Sirocco has only had 1 letter update, the Nokia 8 has had 2.
    ✭✭✭  /  edited August 2019
    mrbelter said:
    You missed the point completely. It's not about Nokia 8 vs Sirocco, it's about Sirocco vs low range phones.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:
    You missed the point completely. It's not about Nokia 8 vs Sirocco, it's about Sirocco vs low range phones.
    Clearly the phones you are upset about are newer models and it always seems to be the case with all manufactures newer models get priority, how much it cost is irrelevant.
  • wild50 wild50
    ✭✭  / 
    The first flagship of a brand has to be treated differently.
    So there is no excuse for Nokia 8 not receiving android 10.
    ✭✭✭  /  edited August 2019
    mrbelter said:
    Clearly the phones you are upset about are newer models and it always seems to be the case with all manufactures newer models get priority, how much it cost is irrelevant.
    That is simply not true. Newer models get priority only if there are in the same price range. Low range phones never get major updates before few months older (or even full year older) flagships get them. That's the case with all manufactures, except of course HMD. Nokia 7 Plus is month or so older than Sirocco and will still get Android Q few months earlier, just like it got Pie earlier. Same goes for Nokia 6.1. These phones are not newer than Sirocco and they still get updates earlier.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:
    That is simply not true. Newer models get priority only if there are in the same price range. Low range phones never get major updates before few months older (or even full year older) flagships get them. That's the case with all manufactures, except of course HMD. Nokia 7 Plus is month or so older than Sirocco and will still get Android Q few months earlier, just like it got Pie earlier. Same goes for Nokia 6.1. These phones are not newer than Sirocco and they still get updates earlier.
    It is really no skin off my nose if you think what i said is rubbish but i can only speak based on my own experience with the phones i have owned.

The 2 examples you pointed out (7 Plus & 6.1) will have sold in huge numbers compared to the Sirocco and even if my own experience is not indicative to how updates are rolled out it is pretty clear with HMD the more popular phones get priority treatment, the bigger numbers make sense when it comes to a staged OTA i guess, it gives you a bigger sample size to see if everything is going smoothly.

At the end of the day a phone is getting an update slightly later than another phone, at least it is still getting an update.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    I had a think about this and I think that if HMD gave special treatment to the Nokia 8 then it would be unfair to their other phones.
    The Nokia 8 has had its 2 OS updates and will get 3 years of security updates as promised. This is the same as all other models except the Nokia 2 and the 6 Amazon (so far as we know, although I suspect that the 1, 2.1 and 1 plus may stop at two years as well because they're on Go not One).
    If the Nokia 8 got special treatment then HMD would be giving special treatment to one specific model, which would not be fair on any others.
    We can't compare with any other manufacturer because - let's be honest and fair - no other manufacturer is even trying to do what HMD is doing. No other manufacturer is trying to support so many models for 3 years. Other brands support for 3 years, but they don't have so many models. Other brands with as many or more models don't support the full range for so long (the low-end ones are quickly forgotten). Some brands, like Fairphone and Apple, support for more than 3 years, but they are in unique niches.
    The only comparable manufacturer to attempt what HMD is doing was... old Nokia, with the Lumia series, as far as I can tell, because - with the support of MS - they were able to offer security updates for at least 3 years from windows 8 devices onwards.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Other brands support for 3 years, but they don't have so many models.
    That in my opinion will be the downfall of HMD unless they address it very soon. The Android One program is absolutely dominated by Nokia branded phones with Motorola having just 2 phones, HTC having just 1 phone, Infinix having just 1 phone and then we come to HMD with 10 handsets!

In my opinion and this is only my opinion so lets not be flaming me like mentalists, all handsets from the 6 series and down just not be in the Android One program and not be getting same level of support the higher phones get, give them 1 letter update and quarterly patches and this surely lifts the burden on the HMD and gives them more wiggle room to produce better, more polished updates.

Lets be honest the Nokia 8 on Android 7.1 was absolutely fantastic, it was rock solid, it was a superb piece of kit and everything worked just fine, it seems to me all the subsequent updates have done is make it worse and worse. My Nokia 8 (RIP god bless its soul) received Android 9 on December the 11th 2018, it was a beta that HMD went on to release as a fully fledged release shortly after. Tomorrow is the first of September 2019 and the Nokia 8 only runs perfect now if you are willing to turn a blind eye to the things that were never fixed. In hindsight i think i would rather have had a single update directly to a perfect Android 8.1 and further development on the phone being put in to things like making the camera worthy of the promises that were made.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    robin said:
    This Community's moderator is too lame that hiding or deleting my comment that I took too long to type. and obvious reasons is that it was bit salty for them to accept the truth. With a good manner speaking f you D_e in H_ll. have peace. ✌🏻

Also to MrBelter don't be such a hardcore fanboy defending HMd and whatever they are doing is fair. Releasing a bunch of useless phones then talk they no less resources to maintain their product is such a lame excuse. aslo hmd only released 3 flagship phones so far and flagship phone always gets higher priority than any mid range phones. So please with a great a respect don't tell anyone is that hmd is doing fair good job. I have typed manu others things on my past comment but moderator got salty.
    You have either never read any of my posts previously or you are very selective in what sinks in, i have torn HMD apart when i thought it was needed and i have also defended them i thought it was needed. Even in the post you are bleating over i clearly said it was my opinion so don't be getting all whiny and letting the bottom lip quiver over a single post i have made just because you happen to disagree with it.

It is funny that you mention having the greatest respect when you appear to have absolutely non, maybe you should wind your neck in and stop telling people what they can and cant post, this is a community forum and everyone is entitled to an opinion whether you agree with it or not.
  • robin robin
    ✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:
    robin said:
    This Community's moderator is too lame that hiding or deleting my comment that I took too long to type. and obvious reasons is that it was bit salty for them to accept the truth. With a good manner speaking f you D_e in H_ll. have peace. ✌🏻

Also to MrBelter don't be such a hardcore fanboy defending HMd and whatever they are doing is fair. Releasing a bunch of useless phones then talk they no less resources to maintain their product is such a lame excuse. aslo hmd only released 3 flagship phones so far and flagship phone always gets higher priority than any mid range phones. So please with a great a respect don't tell anyone is that hmd is doing fair good job. I have typed manu others things on my past comment but moderator got salty.
    You have either never read any of my posts previously or you are very selective in what sinks in, i have torn HMD apart when i thought it was needed and i have also defended them i thought it was needed. Even in the post you are bleating over i clearly said it was my opinion so don't be getting all whiny and letting the bottom lip quiver over a single post i have made just because you happen to disagree with it.

It is funny that you mention having the greatest respect when you appear to have absolutely non, maybe you should wind your neck in and stop telling people what they can and cant post, this is a community forum and everyone is entitled to an opinion whether you agree with it or not.
    Guess you're right. Excuse my manner.True Am just whining pretty much with anyone when it comes to hmd defenders. I needed explanation from HMd itself but they are too quiet and that's made me even more angry. Well anyway, I apologise for being so rude. guess I'll leave this community alone. 
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    robin said:
    mrbelter said:
    robin said:

Guess you're right. Excuse my manner.True Am just whining pretty much with anyone when it comes to hmd defenders. I needed explanation from HMd itself but they are too quiet and that's made me even more angry. Well anyway, I apologise for being so rude. guess I'll leave this community alone. 
    Get back under your rock you troll.
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    mrbelter said:
    In my opinion and this is only my opinion so lets not be flaming me like mentalists...
    I was going to say that you'd mistaken us for those people in that other subforum you frequent now but then I saw that your expectations were well founded! :D
    Not that anyone from HMD will read it but it made me feel better :D
    Cheers :smiley: