It lives! My 925 is BACK! 😃

Hi all,I have great news, my 925 is alive again!(Image) Well, sort of.I got a second hand motherboard for it (a 32GB one too!), so it's got a different great and brain but the rest is the same...

It lives! My 925 is BACK! 😃

madbilly madbilly ✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi all,
I have great news, my 925 is alive again!
Well, sort of.
I got a second hand motherboard for it (a 32GB one too!), so it's got a different great and brain but the rest is the same... Maybe it kept it's soul?
I still have the old "engine board" as Nokia called them and I hope I'll have time to try and recover some things off it at some point, although I'll need to learn JTAGing and find the level 3 and 4 service manual for it too (I can only find that for the 920). So, not so easy.
Does anyone have any tips for this?
Meanwhile I'll have some fun rediscovering a phone which really does feel like a Nokia, hardware and software (of all those special Lumia and Nokia apps, I definitely think he have made a mistake going with a "beige"version of Android).
Cheers :smiley:

Comments

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited September 11
    madbilly said:
    Hi all,
    I have great news, my 925 is alive again!
    Well, sort of.
    I got a second hand motherboard for it (a 32GB one too!), so it's got a different great and brain but the rest is the same... Maybe it kept it's soul?
    I still have the old "engine board" as Nokia called them and I hope I'll have time to try and recover some things off it at some point, although I'll need to learn JTAGing and find the level 3 and 4 service manual for it too (I can only find that for the 920). So, not so easy.
    Does anyone have any tips for this?
    Meanwhile I'll have some fun rediscovering a phone which really does feel like a Nokia, hardware and software (of all those special Lumia and Nokia apps, I definitely think he have made a mistake going with a "beige"version of Android).
    Cheers :smiley:
    Why just show the display. The real beauty is in the exterior design of Lumias. 😍

EDIT: Forgot to write this before. 😅
    There should also be a Love button along with Like 😁
  • singhnsk singhnsk ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Aha! But why did somebody sell the board and not the full device? I guess he has no use of the housing without the board xD
  • madbilly madbilly ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @singhnsk I presume the screen of their phone got cracked. I've already checked out the IMEI and it seems to be clean but have yet to check a SIM works in it.
    @Kartik Gada I only showed the screen because that's the interesting bit in this case, because it shows that the phone is alive again! I agree photos of the slightly worn exterior of my 925 might be of interest to some people, but even though it's a Lumia it's still not the prettiest example.
    The only thing so far that seems not to work is the vibration motor. I read that these blow a fuse if the phone is turned on without the case fully assembled, so maybe that did happen. The service manual says during disassembly that this part cannot be reused... why not?!
    Cheers :)
  • singhnsk singhnsk ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly That's something interesting. Never before did I hear that the vibration motor cannot be re-used :| Seems very weird, because what can break inside the motor on removal? Pretty much nothing. So, why would it stop running atfer removal and addition ah..Why am I not an electrical enginner?  xD 
  • madbilly madbilly ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yes it's very strange. Last night I used the Lumia Phone Test Application and confirmed that the vibration motor doesn't work. I disassembled it again and confirmed that the motor does turn and the spring pins on the board were in contact with the vibration motor flex. But it still didn't work.
    The fuse is F2100 on this schematic:

And here's the note that says it can't be reused:

This discard note wasn't written in version 1.0 of the manual only in version 2.0. I found these online easily by searching. So far though I have not found any service manuals or schematics for HMD's phones, but they must provide them to service centres, mustn't they?
    I will see if I can find the fuse on the board and test it, so see if it is that which has blown or if the motor burnt out somehow. I will also try and power the motor directly to see if it will turn. If the fuse is blown, unfortunately that means the board is not 100% functioning and can't be fixed (at least not by me!) :( If it's the motor then I could replace it.
    Fingers crossed! :)