September 2019 Security Update Has Caused Stuck Download Mode !!!!

Hiya All, The Latest Security For September 2019 downloaded in the background without alerting me untill it needed a restart which i didnt do at all,however i was just trying to attack a gym in Pokemon Go a few days ago and the game must have caused a memory leak and forced the phone to randomly reboot and applied the update just like how i went from Android 8.1 to Android 9.0 without permission.

September 2019 Security Update Has Caused Stuck Download Mode !!!!

PhantomR PhantomR
✭✭  / 
Hiya All,

The Latest Security For September 2019 downloaded in the background without alerting me untill it needed a restart which i didnt do at all,however i was just trying to attack a gym in Pokemon Go a few days ago and the game must have caused a memory leak and forced the phone to randomly reboot and applied the update just like how i went from Android 8.1 to Android 9.0 without permission.

However as of now Nokia Chat Support are useless and only require me to send the phone off to them as no one else has reported the issues i've mentioned.

The wont even escalate the issue to find a solution and i have quite a lot of important critical data that i need to access an possibly backup first as i i don't want to reset my device losing all the data.

I've currently now got an expensive bookstop that can only be charged and drained

How many others are affected by this ???

Kind Regards 

PhantomR

Comments

• jaikn1985 jaikn1985
    ✭✭  / 
    My Nokia 7.1 also got stuck in download mode. Only option was to sent for repair and I got a brand new phone (for the second time :smile: ). From my first experience I always keep my important data in SD card (400 GB) so all in good hands. From my search in the web the only option to get out of the download mode is to reset the phone that will erase all data on the phone.
  • PhantomR PhantomR
    ✭✭  /  edited October 7
    Hi @jaikn1985,

normally that's how i do things as well but only to a 32gb/64gb card (same as the internal system memory :smiley: )...i never experienced this at all with my previous devices on android 4.0/4.0.4/7.0 so this is very annoying,however HMD Nokia should have backup plans in
    place for this or at least fully test the updates first before pushing it via OTA,just in case in my opinion.

or at least be active in the community to listen to the users and work with them to fix issues as they happen to avoid service centre's being used.

as download mode seems to be a type of safe mode there should be a way to exit it and go back into normal mode minus the security update data or a way to roll it back to the last working version eg..August 2019...without a loss of user data...android repair over the top ???? 

the usb connection seems to be working when connected / disconnected with its usual beep but my windows 7 system cant find any android USB drivers to work at present.

Kind Regards

PhantomR
  • Kimble303 Kimble303
    ✭✭  /  edited October 7
    Read this (comments as well). It might work. Or not. Haven't tested myself (knock on wood).

• Sjonnie Sjonnie
     / 
    > @Kimble303 said:
    > Read this (comments as well). It might work. Or not. Haven't tested myself (knock on wood).
    >
    > https://www.techmesto.com/possible-fix-nokia-smartphone-stuck-on-download-mode-after-ota-update/

Doesn't work I am afraid. Been trying for the last few hours on Windows 10 to no avail.
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @singhnsk look into this 
  • shivam shivam
    ✭✭  / 
    After September security update I can't download anything. It has stuck any download in my Nokia 6.1
  • Baard Baard
     /  edited October 11
    :# :# Same here
  • Baard Baard
     / 
    Same here, nokia 6.1 stuck in download mode after october 2019 Security-patch. It already happened once on this device a few months ago and I lost all data, what kind of crap is this? Never again Nokia...
  • How did you resolve it ?
  • My husband's 7.1 updated and is now stuck in download mode. He had to switch over to an older spare phone. He is an OTR Truck driver. When he gets home, I will try the factory reset, but I see from comments here I will end up sending it back to Nokia. Considering how much this phone cost, We expected it to last longer than 7 months. These updates seem to cause havoc. You would think Nokia would be more "on-the-ball" with not crashing their own phones.
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited November 25

Hi, I would suggest you to contact the owner of this site. techmesto.com. He is very helpful and provides very good service. You won't have to send your phone to Nokia care and wait for it. He will fix it if you have a computer at home. :)

EDIT:

I was browsing his blog and found this. May be this should work. :)

https://www.techmesto.com/possible-fix-nokia-smartphone-stuck-on-download-mode-after-ota-update/

• stitch123 stitch123
    ✭✭  /  edited November 25

I can recommend the remote flash techmesto.com offers, too. He managed to save data from my 7.1 when it got stuck in Download Mode. He mentioned the chance to recover the data isn't 100%, though.

EDIT: Here's a link to the service: https://shop.techmesto.com/product/stock-rom-flashing-service-for-nokia-phones-fix-software-issues

No, I'm not getting paid for this.

• Hey guys,

I saw you all have saw the link https://www.techmesto.com/possible-fix-nokia-smartphone-stuck-on-download-mode-after-ota-update/

I assume that you all have downloaded fastboot tool on your PC

If your device stuck on fastboot mode, use fastboot command as following:

1. fastboot getvar current-slot
    2. if current-slot is a, use "fastboot --set-active=b", then "fastboot reboot",
    3. if current-slot is b, use "fastboot --set-active=a", then "fastboot reboot"
    4. after 2, 3, if you still enter download mode, "keep press power key and volume up button to restart" or "keep press power key to restart" or "keep press power key and volume down button to restart"

hope this can help you all

• nitin kachare nitin kachare
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited December 10

Nokia 7.1 (TA1100) is stuck on download mode after updated to Android 10 even after 15GB free storage.

I tried all commands i.e.fastboot,soft reset,hard reset but boot loop can't be going to change and My Friends Nokia 7.1 is simultaneously turning on/off even after doing factory reset in recovery mode.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

That's disappointing. So, your available options would be to visit a Nokia Care for full flash or a paid remote service.

✭✭✭✭  /  edited December 11

@singhnsk that only thing left right now.But It's painful because all data loss for android 10 update.

• Hi Nitin,

Do you follow this?

If your device stuck on fastboot mode, use fastboot command as following:

1. fastboot getvar current-slot
    2. if current-slot is a, use "fastboot --set-active=b", then "fastboot reboot",
    3. if current-slot is b, use "fastboot --set-active=a", then "fastboot reboot"
    4. after 2, 3, if you still enter download mode, "keep press power key and volume up button to restart" or "keep press power key to restart" or "keep press power key and volume down button to restart"

✭✭✭✭  /  edited December 11

I tried all fastboot commands also factory reset and soft reset and hard reset as well but still not solved issue so i went to nokia service center and deposited Nokia 7.1 for software process because of battery percentage is 5% and unable to getting charge quick as usual.Tomorrow morning i will collect back deposited Nokia 7.1.

✭✭✭✭  /  edited December 12

I got my Nokia 7.1 back which is working normal after reinstalled software by Nokia Care.

I have installed Android 10 as well this time it didn't go in download mode.Everything working fine now i will see what improvements happens in android 10.

One thing i notice is they removed back glass for battery because my mobile couldn't get charge quickly in download mode and software process needed 60% battery as they said.Data in phone memory has been lost so i will be careful in future before updating device.

Anyway Thanks to everyone for tips and suggestions.