Petition - Nokia 6 official bootloader unlock #Nokia6NewLife

Hi all,I never had a Nokia 6 but I know that many of you still do...

Petition - Nokia 6 official bootloader unlock #Nokia6NewLife

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  /  edited October 14
Hi all,
I never had a Nokia 6 but I know that many of you still do... in fact I think they can still be bought new in some places!
As many of you probably know, the Amazon edition is about to stop receiving any kind of security updates at all from HMD: https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/50979/two-years-of-delivering-on-our-pure-secure-and-up-to-date-android-promise
This means that owners of that phone have a choice to either buy another phone which will have up-to-date security or keep their Nokia 6 and accept the security risks. This is not a straightforward choice for many people because many people cannot afford to buy a new phone or even a second-hand one - their Nokia 6 might have been something they had been saving money to buy for a long time and they are not in the financial position to do so again.
So what can we do? The best thing that HMD can do for these customers is to provide an official way for them to unlock the bootloader so that they can easily install a custom OS which can be kept up-to-date by the volunteer developer community.* So:

If you want HMD to provide an official method for customers to unlock the bootloader of their Nokia 6 then please reply below repeating the hashtag #Nokia6NewLife :)

Maybe HMD can provide a method which only works for the Amazon edition phone, if they have an issue unlocking all Nokia 6s.
Cheers :smiley:
*I know that this capability is not a certainty, but with a bootloader unlock there might be more interest. There is currently an unofficial LineageOS project for this phone.

Comments

• Jinzukei Jinzukei
    ✭✭  / 
    #Nokia6NewLife
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Thanks @Jinzukei ! Unfortunately I think if we only get 1 signature per day this petition is not going to get much interest from HMD :(
  • Rësot Rësot
    ✭✭  / 

#Nokia6NewLife

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Great @Rësot ! That's now three signatures in less than 24 hours! Not as rapid an uptake as the 7+ bootloader unlock petition but still some progress :)
  • Wind Wind
    ✭✭  / 
    We really need that ... 
    #Nokia6NewLife 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Well said @Wind :smiley:
  • #Nokia6NewLife

Security more than anything, and that needs root. They are practically begging for us to be indignant about bootloaders, with the betalabs on only 1 phone but not the others. LOL
  • user1520881638007 user1520881638007
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly
    If you are concern about this then better sign a petition on change.org website and post the same in community as well in Social Media,So that Users can utilize this option,I don't think it may not get such focus unlike social media
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    user1520881638007 thanks for the suggestion, but I prefer to have the petition here. You are very welcome to use the hashtag #Nokia6NewLife on social media or anywhere else, that is why I created it ;) if you do this please link to this thread on the forum.
    Cheers :)
  • charlie35 charlie35
    ✭✭  / 
    #Nokia6NewLife
    I have a TA-1003 and no update since Android 9 / 1 february 2019.....
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @charlie35, the TA-1003 is the Hong Kong and Taiwan version isn't it? I don't recall how that phone is considered, but I think you should still be getting updates. Did you ask support directly?
    Nevertheless, this is a good example of the reasons why an official bootloader unlock method will be welcome.
  • DibyaXP DibyaXP
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I carry Nokia 6 everywhere and it is my main phone outside my home .
    Device is still super smooth . I definitely want a official bootloader unlock to extend life span .
    My note 3 with sd800 is still running flawlessly with lineage and gcam from Nexus 5
  • Nelrid Nelrid
    ✭✭  / 
    #Nokia6NewLife

Would be awesome if the bootloader gets unlocked
  • vishwanath k vishwanath k
    ✭✭  / 
    #Nokia6NewLife
  • NPraw NPraw
    ✭✭  / 
    #Nokia6NewLife
  • user123 user123
    ✭✭  / 
    #Nokia6NewLife
  • Darshan K Naik Darshan K Naik
    ✭✭  / 
    #Nokia6NewLife
  • KuKo KuKo
    ✭✭✭  / 
    But starting on this month, October 2019, Nokia 6 will get quarterly (so every 3 months) security updates still, until October 2020. 

So now that petition is far too early. Or of course now quite much time, a whole year, to collect support to that petition now. 

Also at time of using Nokia 6 its full official support time, so 3 years, its battery may be significantly weakened, and that is matter that no custom ROM can help. 
    Changing a new battery then may be expensive operation, compared to a a brand new phone then. 

Of course I myself support idea that most Android phones should have at least 5 years official updates support time, even with some extra payment for that from users, but that is huge problem in whole Android ecosystem. 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @KuKo,
    You're right that most Nokia 6s will start to get quarterly instead of monthly security updates, but the Nokia 6 Amazon edition will not get any more security updates at all. That is why I started the petition now. I expect that models sold in China are also not getting security updates anymore.
  • I couldn't agree more. Nokia 6 paved the way into making the company the way it is right now. It is high time for this device to earn its well-deserved bootloader unlock.

#Nokia6NewLife
  • user123 user123
    ✭✭  / 
    #Nokia6NewLife
  • jojojobani jojojobani
    ✭✭  /  edited November 15
    #Nokia6NewLife
  • jojojobani jojojobani
    ✭✭  / 
    Perhaps we should tag @HMDLaura here?
  • Jinzukei Jinzukei
    ✭✭  / 

up

• user123 user123
    ✭✭  / 

@HMDLaura

At least provide BOOTLOADER UNLOCK for first gen NOKIA devices or please let us know your decision regarding bootloader unlock so that we can take further steps for our next smartphones.

Nokia phones are built for last but not support until last. If you cant support until last why cant you provide space for developers to support for the device until last by providing bootloader unlock ??

I have Galaxy S2 which is 8 year old and Nokia 6 which is 2 year old but on the support side both are on the same track . Both are running android pie. If you built a phone until last, it doesnot have any value if it support only for 2 years.

Please let us know HMD decision regarding BOOTLOADER UNLOCK we are waiting for your decision from long time.

Answer for Questions:

1> By unlocking bootloader warranty willl be void.

Yes, our phones are already out of warranty.

2> Device security will be compramised

Anyhow android one with locked bootloader smartphone have lots of security vulnerability thatswhy 2 years monthly security patch is releasing for smartphones.

3> Device may permanently brick or damaged if something went wrong??

We are ready to face the consequences of bootloader unlock.

Finally we are ready to agree T&C of Bootloader unlock.

HMD Please let us know your decision regarding BOOTLOADER UNLOCK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.