Nokia 3.2 TA-1164 never received any update and it is stuck with build 00EEA_1_03D. Why? - Page 2

(Quote) 
jdi, our 3.2 phones are all unlocked so updates do not depend on the carriers.I (and others) tried to download updates even by plain wireless connection, without a SIM card inserted but it hasn't changed at all.

Nokia 3.2 TA-1164 never received any update and it is stuck with build 00EEA_1_03D. Why?

Comments

• lucaluca lucaluca
    ✭✭  / 
    jdi000 said:
    Puppy2019 said:
    Nokia, at least let us know what is going on.
    I don't think we get any response, that's how all the support works nowadays. The problem is there apparently for several months already and nobody cares.

The last serious mobile platform was Windows 10 Mobile. Security updates had always been deliverd in time, on exact day of the month (second Tuesday) for four years period to all supported devices. Never late.

I guess some or all of the  European rollouts have to be approved by governing bodies , as a lot of rollouts and updates seem to get delayed.  In the US everyone of unlocked Nokia phones get updates every month like clockwork.  Complain to your service provider and to the governing body that has to approve these newer versions.  HMD makes updates available but it's pending partner support so it is not really their issue.  It's a shame that this prevents timely rollouts.
    jdi, our 3.2 phones are all unlocked so updates do not depend on the carriers.
    I (and others) tried to download updates even by plain wireless connection, without a SIM card inserted but it hasn't changed at all.
    I have another Nokia phone (6) and it never had such issues (but this Nokia 6 also has a 00WW_ kind of firmware, so the problem seems to be only with 00EEA_ firmware series).
    I could understand some delays, but what is not acceptable at all is the lack of (correct) communication from HMD.
    I started this thread 12 days ago and noone from HMD dared to post a single line or an explanation of what is going on.
    12 days ago there wasn't even a specific subforum category for Nokia 3.2 devices so it is clear that someone is reading this thread because the messages related to Nokia 3.2 have been moved in this new subforum.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
    lucaluca said:
    jdi000 said:
    Puppy2019 said:
    Nokia, at least let us know what is going on.
    I don't think we get any response, that's how all the support works nowadays. The problem is there apparently for several months already and nobody cares.

The last serious mobile platform was Windows 10 Mobile. Security updates had always been deliverd in time, on exact day of the month (second Tuesday) for four years period to all supported devices. Never late.

I guess some or all of the  European rollouts have to be approved by governing bodies , as a lot of rollouts and updates seem to get delayed.  In the US everyone of unlocked Nokia phones get updates every month like clockwork.  Complain to your service provider and to the governing body that has to approve these newer versions.  HMD makes updates available but it's pending partner support so it is not really their issue.  It's a shame that this prevents timely rollouts.
    jdi, our 3.2 phones are all unlocked so updates do not depend on the carriers.
    I (and others) tried to download updates even by plain wireless connection, without a SIM card inserted but it hasn't changed at all.
    I have another Nokia phone (6) and it never had such issues (but this Nokia 6 also has a 00WW_ kind of firmware, so the problem seems to be only with 00EEA_ firmware series).
    I could understand some delays, but what is not acceptable at all is the lack of (correct) communication from HMD.
    I started this thread 12 days ago and noone from HMD dared to post a single line or an explanation of what is going on.
    12 days ago there wasn't even a specific subforum category for Nokia 3.2 devices so it is clear that someone is reading this thread because the messages related to Nokia 3.2 have been moved in this new subforum.

Sorry you are experiencing these issues.  This is more of a user forum.  I would recommend contacting support thru email and the chat function.  Unlocked phones still connect to network towers but it more likely that ota updates are blocked or delayed because of partner support not hmd.  This however sounds like a different issue.  Has anyone tried factory reset of the phone.
  • Puppy2019 Puppy2019
    ✭✭  / 
    jdi000 said:
    Unlocked phones still connect to network towers but it more likely that ota updates are blocked or delayed because of partner support not hmd.
    No, I use my home Internet connection, it is just a HTTPS connection to a remote server, no dependency on any mobile network at all.

Now it seems as there is actually no Nokia 3.2 customer who has ever received any monthly security update.
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Puppy2019 said:
    jdi000 said:
    Unlocked phones still connect to network towers but it more likely that ota updates are blocked or delayed because of partner support not hmd.
    No, I use my home Internet connection, it is just a HTTPS connection to a remote server, no dependency on any mobile network at all.

Now it seems as there is actually no Nokia 3.2 customer who has ever received any monthly security update.
    Unless you have your airplane mode on the radios connect to towers.
  • Puppy2019 Puppy2019
    ✭✭  /  edited October 2019
    This review confirms it isn't issue of the 00EEA_ firmware. Quote:
    We were dismayed to see the Nokia 3.2 running outdated security patches despite being an Android One-certified device.
    According to the picture it had installed 00WW_ firmware. So it is back to my opinion that no Nokia 3.2 have ever received any update worldwide.
  • nocci nocci
    ✭✭  / 
    @Puppy2019 - This is a opinion I do not share because I have direct download links to nearly every 00WW-Firmware for the Nokia 3.2 - those files are hosted on the official Google-OTA server. I posted a link above. 

My opinion is that Nokia/HMD forgot to give the OK to Google to release "our" 00EEA-firmwares. Or just something else is messed up with communication beween the two companies. 

I really hope that anyone official will join our conversation and help us very soon.
  • Puppy2019 Puppy2019
    ✭✭  / 
    As the review states, the 00WW_ firmwares weren't updated either. So there is something wrong in general. I am still wondering how comes that nobody has noticed it yet.
  • Puppy2019 Puppy2019
    ✭✭  / 
    I tried to contact email support, but it is hopeless. Got typical copy/paste no-answer. They still don't get it isn't a single isolated issue as there are already many reports of it.
  • lucaluca lucaluca
    ✭✭  / 
    jdi000 said:

Sorry you are experiencing these issues.  This is more of a user forum.  I would recommend contacting support thru email and the chat function.  Unlocked phones still connect to network towers but it more likely that ota updates are blocked or delayed because of partner support not hmd.  This however sounds like a different issue.  Has anyone tried factory reset of the phone.
    I agree that this is mostly a user forum, but I also sent a private message to HMDLaura who doesn't look like a "user".
    I never got any reply from her.
    I tried a factory reset when I first purchased it but nothing had changed.
    I don't want to waste another day configuring the phone just to make an experiment... I would prefer an official statement and a reason for doing that...
  • lucaluca lucaluca
    ✭✭  / 
    Puppy2019 said:
    This review confirms it isn't issue of the 00EEA_ firmware. Quote:
    We were dismayed to see the Nokia 3.2 running outdated security patches despite being an Android One-certified device.
    According to the picture it had installed 00WW_ firmware. So it is back to my opinion that no Nokia 3.2 have ever received any update worldwide.
    At least, we know from this page: https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/security-updates that 00WW_ updates do exist and you could download them and update the phone manually.
    But there is no track anyware of 00EEA_ ones :(

• Puppy2019 Puppy2019
    ✭✭  / 
    lucaluca said:
    updates do exist and you could download them and update the phone manually.
    But it is confirmation there is something wrong because in the Notebookcheck review they had an old 00WW_ firmware that wasn't updated automatically either. There is no solution without Nokia cooperation.
  • nocci nocci
    Hmm... I just found out that at least in Germany there was an update for the Nokia 3.2.

piunikaweb.com/2019/09/12/nokia-8-1-4-2-3-2-september-security-update-starts-hitting-devices/

(the second screenshot seems to be a 3.2 with the latest September patch)

Too bad that we don't know if it was an update for die 00WW or the 00EEA. But I would bet it was a 00WW-build.
  • Puppy2019 Puppy2019
    nocci said:
    Hmm... I just found out that at least in Germany there was an update for the Nokia 3.2.
    Good catch! All reports in the forum here are for the 00EEA version, right? But we already know the 00WW won't get updated either in the NotebookCheck review. It is becoming a mess :/
    My phone has 00EEA_1_03J.

• Mobile0815 Mobile0815
    ✭✭  / 
    Hi guys, I'm in the boat of having the no patch issue.

I'll have to check the numbers if all have 00ee, and will report it back.

I'm having this issue since September with one phone, but didn't find any information back then. After a while I also contacted the support an was given the not helpfull guide already mentioned here.

I'm currently owner of three 3.2 devices, the one from September and two new ones which also do not work. I'll send all of them back to the two companies I've purchased it, using "did not work probably/ no updates" case. I'd hoped it was just bad luck and bought two more, from different campanies, no Amazon/marketplace.

What I can confirm is, that 3.2 should have at least September patch as I already purchased 4 3.2 back in June/July and updated these each month till I've given them all out to employees.

Here in my country the 3.2 were brought out in July, a month later as claimed. Should have been June, I've ordered it end of May. I do not remember the patch level of these 3.2. The next were purchased in late August but I had some 3.1 in stock and didn't need the 3.2.

Now I need them and with this I realy can't give a 3.2 out.. :|
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Hi guys, I'm in the boat of having the no patch issue.

I'll have to check the numbers if all have 00ee, and will report it back.

I'm having this issue since September with one phone, but didn't find any information back then. After a while I also contacted the support an was given the not helpfull guide already mentioned here.

I'm currently owner of three 3.2 devices, the one from September and two new ones which also do not work. I'll send all of them back to the two companies I've purchased it, using "did not work probably/ no updates" case. I'd hoped it was just bad luck and bought two more, from different campanies, no Amazon/marketplace.

What I can confirm is, that 3.2 should have at least September patch as I already purchased 4 3.2 back in June/July and updated these each month till I've given them all out to employees.

Here in my country the 3.2 were brought out in July, a month later as claimed. Should have been June, I've ordered it end of May. I do not remember the patch level of these 3.2. The next were purchased in late August but I had some 3.1 in stock and didn't need the 3.2.

Now I need them and with this I realy can't give a 3.2 out.. :|
    The nokia 2.2 is a good option for a work phone.
  • Puppy2019 Puppy2019
    ✭✭  / 
    Could you please post the firmware version and exact TA-xxxx model number? Thank you.
  • badger810 badger810
    ✭✭  / 
    I had a similar problem with my New Nokia 4.2 that wasn't updating from the June patch when I brought it last month in the uk. After using the VPN trick I managed to update to September Patch 00EEA_1_36B_SP02 from June 00WW_1_17J_SP02 Patch. I have put the link below that sorted it out on my 4.2 in case it helps.

• nocci nocci
    @badger810  I live in Germany so your way connection from UK to Germany via vpn is not necessary for me.

But I tried to check if other countrys might be useful to get a update. I tried vpn connections to Germany, UK, Belguim, Denmark, Australia, Switzerland, US, India and others and I still get no updates. 

• badger810 badger810
    ✭✭  / 
    @nocci I'm sorry it didn't work for you. Did you try the VPN after removing the sim card and clearing the cache in the following Google App, Google Framework, Google Play Services, Location Services? I seem to remember it took me a couple of goes to get it to work. The linked instructions I used for the 4.2 were https://nokiapoweruser.com/you-can-force-pie-recent-updates-on-nokia-smartphones-using-vpn-trick/

• nocci nocci
    ✭✭  / 
    @badger810 - Yeah I did all the steps. But that made no difference. Can you tell me if your phone has a build 00EEA? 

For fun I also tried to intercept the OTA-Request with a proxy server but sadly there is no simple way to do this with an unrooted Android Pie phone. (I was not able to "sniff" the SSL secured request)
  • badger810 badger810
    ✭✭  / 
    @nocci Yes, it is 00EEA_1_36B_SP02, which is the Sept patch for the 4.2. The October patch for the 4.2 hasn't be released yet, but that should be out any day now.
  • Mobile0815 Mobile0815
    ✭✭  / 
    TA-1156 DS, 00EEA_1_03D stuck at April Fools :neutral:
  • Puppy2019 Puppy2019
    ✭✭  / 
    Interesting post from the other thread about SMS problem. Someone got a 00WW_1_41B October 2019 update?
  • Dante2019 Dante2019
     /  edited October 2019
    Das selbe Problem hier. Nokia TA1156 am Montag gekauft und festgestellt, dass es noch immer den Aprilpatch aufweist. Es ist ebenfalls eine Buildnummer mit 00EEA vorhanden und es bekommt auch kein Update. Egal wie oft man Aktualisieren drückt 😐
  • Puppy2019 Puppy2019
    ✭✭  / 
    I tried to contact the TCCM company that is responsible for Central and East Europe distribution, waiting for an answer.
  • whodunit whodunit
    ✭✭  / 
    Just rechecked and got the updates.
  • Puppy2019 Puppy2019
    whodunit said:
    Just rechecked and got the updates.
    Confirmed! But still outdated: 2019-08.
    You have to manually check again after the restart, it downloads 2019-09 right now. I am on 00EEA_1_03J_SP02.

• nocci nocci
    Yeah... Came from work and my wife told me that her phone got two updates.
    Now its on build 00EEA_1_39D_SP02

Unfortunately all updates are already downloaded. I wish I could help @lucaluca and @ronaldw to update their phones as well. But maybe they are already happy too. 

Someone could maybe run logcat via adb just right before downloading the OTA update that would be helpful.
    If you enable the developer options and turn on USB debugging, connect your phone via USB to your computer and then run adb logcat -d > logcat.txt right before checking for an update and downloading.
    Then you have a logcat.txt on your root device folder that would be accessable via the usb connection.

Within this file there should be a very long URL pointing to something like
    https : //android. googleapis.com/blabla/blabla/numbersnumbers.zip

This would be the direct download link to the OTA-File that could be installed via adb sideload from recovery. 

Thank you all for your help and the good information I got here.
    Happy Halloween  >:)
  • Danke für die Info. Ich habe mittlerweile auch den Septemberpatch heruntergeladen und installiert. Der Oktoberpatch kommt dann bestimmt auch bald. Ebenfalls fröhliches Halloween.
  • ronaldw ronaldw
    ✭✭  / 
    Hi everyone,

I can confirm that my device has updated today as well after reading the good news on this board. TA-1156 on Build 00EEA_1_39D_SP02 (1 september 2019).

Thanks to all for your help and contribution. And thanks to the person(s) at HMD/Nokia that listened, located and fixed the error we had.

Cheers! :)