Kevlar cases? Why not just make the phone from this?

Hi all, I see on NPU that there's a rumour that HMD will start to sell Nokia branded Kevlar cases for the Nokia 6.2 and 7.2.

Kevlar cases? Why not just make the phone from this?

madbilly madbilly
Super User  / 

Hi all,

I see on NPU that there's a rumour that HMD will start to sell Nokia branded Kevlar cases for the Nokia 6.2 and 7.2. However,

1. I've no idea if this is true
  2. Isn't Kevlar expensive? 😕
  3. Why not just make the phone from Kevlar in the first place?! 😖

The second point makes me think that these won't be real Kevlar, after all, I'm pretty sure that this is a relatively expensive material, sometimes more so than carbon fibre.

Anyway my main point is about use of cases - if phone's are so fragile that people need to put a protective case around them (not just cosmetic or functional like in the old days, but actually protective) then why not make the phone's tougher in the first place? I mean, do most people now use a case? If most people use a case then this probably means the phones are too fragile! So they look great, but all those great looks that we pay for are soon hidden behind a nowhere-near-as-good-looking case.

So what's the point? Can't HMD lead the world by making a phone that looks great and is tough enough not to need a case? 💡

Cheers 🙂

Comments