This may well just be a problem with Android 8 in general, not sure, but at the moment I can't play *any* of my music sitting on my SD card using Google Play Music.
I've a newly purchased UK Nokia 7 Plus - TA-1055 - running Android 8.0.0, and I have a large body of music, as .ogg files, that I upload separately to my SD card.
I follow the procedure below:
- Phone off
- SD card out
- Files transferred into a "Music" folder off the root of the SD card using a PC (artist/album subfolders, fully tagged)
- SD card in
- Phone on
- In Google Play Music settings:
- -> Account
- -> -> Refresh
- -> Downloading
- -> -> Clear cache
- -> -> Storage Location
- -> -> ->External
- Select "Downloaded Only"
- ...wait a bit
The following is the result:
- Google Play Music fails to scan and pick-up most of the music
- Many tracks that are present have a 0:00 length, although some do have the correct length
- When I try to play any track that is present, with a length or not, I get "Music playback error - Couldn't play the track that you selected"
Tearing my hair out on this:
- There are similar, although not identical, reports for other phones, but no workarounds seem to work
- I used to follow the same steps above with my prior phone, a Wileyfox Swift 2x Plus running Android 7, and all was fine
- The .ogg files on the SD card play fine on the phone if I install andI use VLC (VLC picks up all of the tracks)
- I've tried re-copying the files and multiple refreshes/clearing of the cache - Google Play Music picks up a differing amount of tracks from the Music folder each time, some with track times/some without, but can play none of them
Anyone seeing the same or got any ideas on how to fix this?